Is Tony's BJJ Way Overratted?

Just curious to hear some opinions

I think we've all seen him look less than stellar on the ground and this legendary guard game is elusive to say the least. He sometimes has this way of looking like a flopping fish at times

What say you sherdog?
Phoney has never outgrappled a single good grappler in his entire career and was dominated on the ground by cans. He never had good BJJ and most of his subs came after he hurt his opponents standing or they were too gassed to defend intelligently.

Oh i forgot tony has no offensive skills that ever win him fights.... the guys just fall over homerstyle after bwatimg him up too much. Lol <45>

except i didn't say that did i? all i said was Max has boxing skills. Tony wins in varieties of ways. Max wins by boxing.

Tony is one of the most overrated fighters in my time watching this sport. If not for an iron jaw, he’d already be in Bellator. That’s the way I see it. Screw his db fans, while we’re at it. They are a joke.

Do you remember them calling him the LW GOAT?
if not for cardio this fighter would have lost more

if not for power this fighter would have lost more

if not for his BJJ this fighter would have lost more

of not for his chin this fighter would have lost more

you can literally say this type of shit for almost any top fighter

if not for cardio this fighter would have lost more

if not for power this fighter would have lost more

if not for his BJJ this fighter would have lost more

of not for his chin this fighter would have lost more

<WhatItIs>

Khabib
Islam
CDF
Dariush
Oliveira
Ramos

All of these guys would've made him look like a shitty bluebelt on the ground, which he is.
youre a shitposter so im not gonna entertain your post past this reply tbh

nice argument lmao, gotta love this site and its garbage posters.

200.gif

If you want an actual debate. Hit me up on Monday.

yes. it's like condit and pettis. they hit some nice subs, but their bjj isn't good enough to stop/discourage people from grapplefucking them

Yes, it's like comparing Frank Mir to Werdum. There are levels to this.

Eddie Bravo really hyped his bjj. Eddie's rubber guard never managed to become wildly accepted in the UFC.
What I would say - Tony is really stiff. The stiffness got him ragdolled.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

It all goes together. Remember when GSP said “the threat of grappling makes better your striking” (paraphrased) after his win over BJ?

Tony breaks guys. His primary tool is PACE. It is a fight so that yields TKOs and subs but the main factor that he used to win, imo, has always been pace. And

Tony is a cardio animal and has tremendous work ethic.
but can he still bring that pace?
Can he push a pace the Beneil can not sustain?

Can he break him in a 15 minute fight?
If not, can he turn the tide in time or can he control the fight from the beginning?

I’m Looking forward to finding out.
I hope Tony looks like he did coming off TUF. He was a lot more technical and showed power in his hands. He was hurting guys with technique and power then changed into overwhelming them but got hurt almost every fight he won. That I don't think he's lost though. Against Gaethje he never went out but got the shit kicked out of him to the point where the ref said it was enough. I don't think Beneil can do that but he has had fights where he forces the takedowns. Tony fought a lot of guys that didn't take him to the ground so its hard to say if Oliveira is that good on the ground or if Tony doesn't have great control off his back. Lee passed him like butter until he gassed. We'll see.

Tony us a good scrambler with a very good front headlock game. Outside of that his bjj isn't crazy. He has a very offensive which leads people to jump to "oh wow he's attacking so much he's so good" when in reality he is making a lot of positional and defensive errors in exchange for doing damage.

His bjj is definitely good. He has certain areas where he shines but plenty that need work

Not ever since Oliveira outclassed him on the ground.

I believe it's a question of:
A bad fight
His age and all the wars he's been in catching up, or
Charles is just that good
Maybe a combination of these factors

Back