Is Volk a modern day Sean Sherk in the right weight class?

Actually yes.

Like you said though - first of all, has more diverse striking.
Secondly - he has normal reach. Sherk was Trex.

And third - Volkanovski is much better on his back. Sherk struggled when taken down. Volkanovski is not some TDD master, but he knows how to get back to his feet.
Regarding number 3, I don’t see many fighters at 145 putting Sherk on his back. The two notable guys who did were GSP and Hughes, the two best WW’s of all time.

Wtf you talking. Volk excels EVERYWHERE.
He's just very very well rounded, similar to Leon Edwards. Almost all the champions have something they excel at. Jones (Wrestling), Sterling(wrestling), Adesanya (Striking) etc. Saying Volkanovski doesn't excel at anything isn't meant diminishing his skills you just interpreted it that.

Still friends with Sherk.

His bone structure is different.

Not sure, but it seemed like he maintains some features from an early form of man.

His hands are like smaller gorilla hands.

I would have loved to see this fight at 155 tbh.
I mean of course Volk has a more modern skill set.

but Sherk was definitely no joke, sure he lost to BJ and Edgar at the end of his career when he was 35+

but the guy won two fights against prime Karo.

do you think Volk would of been able to move up to 170 and beat Karo?

It's crazy that Sherk was an elite WW given how short he is & his non-existent reach. He fought some elite WWs: GSP, Hughes, Nick Diaz, Karo

I think Sherk in this era would cut to FW

Volk is Edgar and Sherk in Super Sayan mode.

Volk is Edgar and Sherk in Super Sayan mode.
Yet he is smaller and weaker than Sherk. Sherk is Volk in sayan mode
Still friends with Sherk.

His bone structure is different.

Not sure, but it seemed like he maintains some features from an early form of man.

His hands are like smaller gorilla hands.

What other features make when stand out? He was a freak of nature

More "diverse" striking seems to be a way of avoiding saying "far better striking".

I think Sherk would do worse in modern MMA personally were fighters do not respect pure wrestlers who lack a sub or GnP threat, these days fighters would block Sherk against the cage or just stand up until he either gassed out trying to take them down or gave up and got jabbed or KOed.

Sherk was similar in stature to Volk but Sherk fought at 170.

In the modern era of MMA Sherk would be a 135-145er and at 135/145 Sherk would resemble Volk. Volk has more diverse striking but Sherk has better wrestling/endurance and Sherk is probably stronger and bigger.

Do you see any comparisons between Sherk/Volk?

Sean Sherk did ok in ufc.

Volkanovski doesn't really excel anywhere, but his IQ is GSP level.
<{1-17}>

Or he excels at everything? Outstrikes Yair and Holloway, holds his own when grappling against Makhachev (in a higher weight class)…

Sherk definitely looks the best when you list the people he lost to (Matt Hughes, GSP, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn) rather than listing the guys he beat (Nick Diaz, Kenny Florian, Tyson Griffin, Hermes Franca)
man who gives a fuck who he LOST to.

TS low key just watched his first Sherk fight and wants to talk about it lol

Yes, they’re both short and stocky.

No, they aren’t similar fighters.

Reactions: HHJ
More "diverse" striking seems to be a way of avoiding saying "far better striking".

I think Sherk would do worse in modern MMA personally were fighters do not respect pure wrestlers who lack a sub or GnP threat, these days fighters would block Sherk against the cage or just stand up until he either gassed out trying to take them down or gave up and got jabbed or KOed.
Sherk would also be a different fighter today MMA knowledge has increased.

Sherk came from the old school and was still relevant in modern MMA.

Other than both being short l, I see no comparison or similarities in their fighting styles, skill or talent. Volkanovski doesn't really excel anywhere, but his IQ is GSP level.

Volk doesn't excel anywhere???..... Max Holloway is one of the best strikers in the UFC and he got completely owned and shut out by Volk.

Back