Media Isaac Dulgarian accuses Christian Rodriguez of cheating, being oiled up

This is the 2nd grease accusation I've read about in 2 days!
He's not super banged up, but he was so exhausted in the 3rd he was a sitting duck to strikes and I thought he might actually get TKO'd from his lack of movement.
As for the decision: a lot of this depends on judges' interpretation of control time and how much weight it holds. I'd have to rewatch to be more sure but as impressive as the grappling was in R1 and even R2, when all is said and done, Rodriguez was holding his defenses rather well and Dulgarian was largely spinning his wheels with that massive energy expenditure. In my eyes, Rodriguez finished as strong in the 3rd as Dulgarian started in the 1st. I found it pretty even by the end, but it seemed fair to score it a draw. Total damage and how the fight ends leave such an impact on the judges. I'd venture a guess that despite the current scoring criteria, some judges are more partial to wrestling while others are not.

Last edited:
Bro got robbed in round 2.

4:11 of control time and only got outlanded by 3 strikes in that round, while not taking any massive shots, being dropped or even rocked.

Like, yes, damage is the main thing, but CRod wasn't doing heaps of damage, and 4:11 of control time absolutely counts for more.

"Control time" isnt a part of the scoring criteria for a reason. For instance if you are in Werdum's guard for 5 minutes you aren't controlling shit. Most of Dulgarian's "control" was trying and failing to get the fight to the ground. The most meaningful part of that round was Rodriguez landing a knee and going for a guillotine.

"Control time" isnt a part of the scoring criteria for a reason. For instance if you are in Werdum's guard for 5 minutes you aren't controlling shit. Most of Dulgarian's "control" was trying and failing to get the fight to the ground. The most meaningful part of that round was Rodriguez landing a knee and going for a guillotine.

Control time literally is part of the scoring criteria though. It's in the official rules.

Having someone's back, even standing, is not the same as just being in Werdum's guard for 5 rounds, and no judge would score it like that.

CRod's knee did zero damage and led to him getting taken down.

If you're counting that knee though, then what about the flurry of forward strikes Dulgarian landing late that were landing and had CRod backing up to the cage?

I'm not saying Dulgarian dominated the round or that it wasn't super close. I was actually pleasantly surprised that they scored it for CRod, because in most cases they wouldn't have, and I think it should be the norm more than not.

You can look at the judging criteria online. I had the striking/grappling effectiveness for both as even. They were both landing strikes, but neither really ahead. None of Dulgarian's wrestling was effective and looked likely to lead to a fight ending scenario.

When everything is even like that, control time/ring control is what judges are supposed to look for. That's in the rules. And in that case, 4:11 of control time for Dulgarian is pretty hard to argue with.

It was nice that DUlgarian got exposed though. Guy seems like a dickhead.

Why do the grease accusers never say anything in the cage if they think the guy is cheating. Call it out at a time when it can be proven and rectified. It just sounds like sour grapes when you wait til you have lost the fight to say anything

How about you stop making excuses and up your fight IQ? Dude was gassed out by the mid second and it was 10-8esque in that 3rd round.

I thought the decision could have gone ether way, but I also think you learn more about a person's character from how they handle adversity than how they handle success.

Dulgarian's reaction to his first loss should be a self evaluation and a talk with his coaches about what went wrong. Instead, he starts making BS accusations (both fighters were checked for greasing before entering the cage) of cheating and looks like a bitch in the process.

Control time literally is part of the scoring criteria though. It's in the official rules.

Having someone's back, even standing, is not the same as just being in Werdum's guard for 5 rounds, and no judge would score it like that.

If you're counting that knee though, then what about the flurry of forward strikes Dulgarian landing late that were landing and had CRod backing up to the cage?

I'm not saying Dulgarian dominated the round or that it wasn't super close. I was actually pleasantly surprised that they scored it for CRod, because in most cases they wouldn't have, and I think it should be the norm more than not.

You can look at the judging criteria online. I had the striking/grappling effectiveness for both as even. They were both landing strikes, but neither really ahead. None of Dulgarian's wrestling was effective and looked likely to lead to a fight ending scenario.

When everything is even like that, control time/ring control is what judges are supposed to look for. That's in the rules. And in that case, 4:11 of control time for Dulgarian is pretty hard to argue with.

That standing position they were in isn't the same as back control. That was Dulgarian trying and failing to get a takedown. And everything wasn't even, Rodriguez landed more, was landing the harder strikes, and went for a submission.

That standing position they were in isn't the same as back control. That was Dulgarian trying and failing to get a takedown. And everything wasn't even, Rodriguez landed more, was landing the harder strikes, and went for a submission.

It's literally standing back control, as I side. I didn't say it was back control on the ground.

Rod landed 3 more strikes. That's it. His strikes also had no visible impact, while when Dulgarian did land his strikes, he had CRod moving back into the cage.

Control time is only scored if all else is even though. It does not come into account until the other criteria is scored as even within the rules of mma.

So to even use it, they need to decide that the striking and grappling was 100% even which is wasn’t. He effectively lost the round because of 3strikes and no offence post takedown according to the judges,which is technically correct.

I thought the decision could have gone ether way, but I also think you learn more about a person's character from how they handle adversity than how they handle success.

Dulgarian's reaction to his first loss should be a self evaluation and a talk with his coaches about what went wrong. Instead, he starts making BS accusations (both fighters were checked for greasing before entering the cage) of cheating and looks like a bitch in the process.

Blowing his gas tank in the first round is all he knows. hes entire fighter identity is built around finishing his opponents in the first round.
Lets hope he looks in the mirror and makes necessary changes instead of blaming others.

Seems like everybody is on the grease or lube these Days
It’s like a throwback

It's literally standing back control, as I side. I didn't say it was back control on the ground.

There is no control in that position, it's Dulgarian trying and failing to get a takedown with Rodriguez intentionally facing away so he can fight the hands. You don't get points for failing to get a takedown.

Rod landed 3 more strikes. That's it. His strikes also had no visible impact, while when Dulgarian did land his strikes, he had CRod moving back into the cage.

4 more, all to the head. You need to rewatch the fight, Rodriguez was landing the bigger strikes. The only time Rodriguez moved back was to defend the takedown.

It gets me mad how much judges are shy about giving 10-8 rounds
You should be mad when theres less 10-9s.sorry bro, but THIS is the exact reason you don't want more liberal scoring. You get stupid outcomes like this and grasso/shev 2. More 10-8s and 7s WILL ruin the sport. The judges suck and arent accountable. Giving them more options to be dumb is, well, dumb.

Control time is only scored if all else is even though. It does not come into account until the other criteria is scored as even within the rules of mma.

So to even use it, they need to decide that the striking and grappling was 100% even which is wasn’t. He effectively lost the round because of 3strikes and no offence post takedown according to the judges,which is technically correct.

Lol. Rules. Bwahaha. Ask the judges if they know the rules

It never makes sense when they call out greasing after the fight is over because there’s no way you can prove it after the fact unless it’s done in between rounds and it’s caught on video ala GSP vs Penn II.

Call it out in the cage when it can be checked and dealt with or shut the fuck up about it

Lol. Rules. Bwahaha. Ask the judges if they know the rules
It sucks because the scoring criteria is pretty good if used correctly. Whoever is using the most effective striking or grappling should win the round. If those two criteria are equal we progress from there to the others, but people (and judges) still forget this.

The fighter landing offence, even from a defensive position (against the cage wall) should outscore the guy going for control.

The stats are there from the fight. Effectively Dulgarian got outstruck round 2/3, had a dominant round 1 and then got destroyed and nearly finished round 3. He won the takedown stat and got control time for cage wrestling and bodylock control. That's all.

Dulgarian throws some offence from those positions (1-2 strikes for each takedown) instead of just wrestling and it's a dominant decision for him because he doubles his output. It's MMA, you need to land offence to score.

He could have easily won that fight, by just throwing offence occasionally whilst he was controlling Rodriguez. That's all these guys need to do to win these types of decisions.

So what’s the rule on greasing anyway.
Like how far out are you not supposed to be putting on lotion. Like if that’s your morning routine I’m sure it’s fine.

But what about 3 hours before the fight? I don’t think moisturized skin makes you noticeably greasy
In an interview after the masvidal fight, Gilbert Burns breaks down how dudes can grease, it's a known thing apparently. The method burns describes is more of a process than just routine lotion use. Iirc something about repeated showers to open pores then a shit ton of lotion after showering every few hours leading up to the fight then you sweat it out in the fight like crazy. I wonder how close to the fight they do it too

Back