Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

I need new holes in my lifting belt and hope that the local shoemaker can help. Fucking diet, man.
The belt is always a good indication of how any weight loss or gain is going - there's certainly worse problems to have in this case! Is it not something you can do yourself?

The belt is always a good indication of how any weight loss or gain is going - there's certainly worse problems to have in this case! Is it not something you can do yourself?
True! I'm not sure I'd be able to do that myself, I'd have to drill new holes and am a little worried that these holes would fray easily. And I unfortunately don't have the right tools to stamp the holes.

I haven't lifted legs in over a year now. I was one of those guys saving my legs for biking. did 3 sets of bodyweight squats this morning and my legs were wobbly afterwards, lol.

I haven't lifted legs in over a year now. I was one of those guys saving my legs for biking. did 3 sets of bodyweight squats this morning and my legs were wobbly afterwards, lol.
How many reps?

How many reps?

8 lousy reps. And I have mild DOMS today! Goes to show how different squats and cycling are. It's not like my legs have been inactive but definitely not getting the same deep knee bend as in a squat. I'll probably get noob gains at least...

8 lousy reps. And I have mild DOMS today! Goes to show how different squats and cycling are. It's not like my legs have been inactive but definitely not getting the same deep knee bend as in a squat. I'll probably get noob gains at least...

You should definitely see your doctor for a full work up.

Definitely Jim, thanks for the friendly advice.

. did 3 sets of (8) bodyweight squats this morning and my legs were wobbly afterwards, lol.
I know that you and Jim don't get along, but that sounds to me (and I don't know anything) like something is wrong. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a medical checkup.

I know that you and Jim don't get along, but that sounds to me (and I don't know anything) like something is wrong. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a medical checkup.

I'm assuming that was 3 sets of squats with bodyweight on the bar - which, if someone is very detrained after a significant period of time, doesn't alarm me that much. I know I've lost probably 20kg off my squat and 30kg off my deadlift the past few months.

I'm assuming that was 3 sets of squats with bodyweight on the bar - which, if someone is very detrained after a significant period of time, doesn't alarm me that much. I know I've lost probably 20kg off my squat and 30kg off my deadlift the past few months.
I didn't read it like that, I was assuming it was literally doing squats with nothing else than your own bodyweight - no bar on your back or anything, which, if that is the case, would be a cause for concern @DrBdan . Hopefully @teepsandbarleywine has it right though, in which case it's not that bad.

No it was literally a completely unweighted squat. And I did them again a few days later with no issues so I'm pretty sure I'm not dying. Probably case of not really warming up, not squatting in ages, and being massively over-tired all the time.

Oooh. I'd definitely maybe just check and see how things are looking then. I get bloodwork done when I go through extended periods of fatigue, just to see how everything's looking.

I had blood work done in August and it was fine. My biggest issue is that one of my twins only sleeps for about 9 hours at night so when you factor in chores that have to be done after they go to bed and wanting to relax a bit it doesn't leave much time for sleeping. And my wife values quiet time at night more than sleep so it's also a choice between time with my wife and sleep.

I've done squats multiple times since with no issue.

My son has been bugging me to sign up for boxing for a while. He's been in tae kwon do for a while and he's getting to the age where it isn't physical enough. Lol - he had a rude awakening. We get there and the warmup is 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bodyweight squats, 100 toe touches. This is followed by four 3 minute rounds shadowboxing, four 3 minute rounds on pads, four 3 minute rounds on heavy bag, and four 3 minute rounds on jump rope. The end of class is more technique work. I've never seen him so tired in my life. It's an extra $30 for me to join and I'm thinking about getting back into it. I've still been hitting the bag or jumping rope for a warmup or ender to lifting but I think the above would kill me.

Sounds like a good class to me. How long did it run for? If you're thinking about jumping it in, you may as well give it a hoon.

Sounds like a good class to me. How long did it run for? If you're thinking about jumping it in, you may as well give it a hoon.

It's a fairly open gym type format from 5-8 PM Monday through Friday. M, W, F he runs that class, but people can show up late or leave early if need be. My understanding is Tuesday and Thursday is just a total open gym format. He's talking about giving keys out as well. I worry about how long they'll stay open though. I'm in a small town and I don't think a lot of people will pay the fee. Most of our sports programs are through the YMCA, so they are a lot cheaper. This is $65 a month and $30 additional for each person in the family, however, most YMCA programs are around $25 a month.

My son has been bugging me to sign up for boxing for a while. He's been in tae kwon do for a while and he's getting to the age where it isn't physical enough. Lol - he had a rude awakening. We get there and the warmup is 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bodyweight squats, 100 toe touches. This is followed by four 3 minute rounds shadowboxing, four 3 minute rounds on pads, four 3 minute rounds on heavy bag, and four 3 minute rounds on jump rope. The end of class is more technique work. I've never seen him so tired in my life. It's an extra $30 for me to join and I'm thinking about getting back into it. I've still been hitting the bag or jumping rope for a warmup or ender to lifting but I think the above would kill me.

Oh hell yes dude!

It's a fairly open gym type format from 5-8 PM Monday through Friday. M, W, F he runs that class, but people can show up late or leave early if need be. My understanding is Tuesday and Thursday is just a total open gym format. He's talking about giving keys out as well. I worry about how long they'll stay open though. I'm in a small town and I don't think a lot of people will pay the fee. Most of our sports programs are through the YMCA, so they are a lot cheaper. This is $65 a month and $30 additional for each person in the family, however, most YMCA programs are around $25 a month.

NGL, that actually sounds really pretty ideal from a consumer standpoint. Structure in place, but not rigid, plenty of time to be able to work on the things you want to work on. I've never been a fan of the "1 hour class" model that most gyms use - I don't think it's beneficial having everyone all working on the same things for the same length of time. Training needs to be individual, and a more open gym format allows for that. Also, that's cheap as chips mate!

Back