Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

This is turning into a dear diary, but I went yesterday and got brutalized. It was the same warmup as before. I deadlifted Saturday so my legs felt it pretty quickly. This was followed by four 3 minute rounds of shadowboxing, four 3 minute rounds of jump rope, three 3 minute rounds on speed bag, and six 3 minute rounds on heavy bag. Speed bag killed me as first round was only right hand with second round only left. I don't know how anyone can maintain that, but maybe I'm just super stiff. We left before pad work as we had to get home and it had been nearly 2 hours. I'm planing to do this every Monday and Wednesday and the open gym one other day. I'm thinking it will interfere with lifting quite a bit, but it's not like I'm really peaking in strength anyways.

This is turning into a dear diary, but I went yesterday and got brutalized. It was the same warmup as before. I deadlifted Saturday so my legs felt it pretty quickly. This was followed by four 3 minute rounds of shadowboxing, four 3 minute rounds of jump rope, three 3 minute rounds on speed bag, and six 3 minute rounds on heavy bag. Speed bag killed me as first round was only right hand with second round only left. I don't know how anyone can maintain that, but maybe I'm just super stiff. We left before pad work as we had to get home and it had been nearly 2 hours. I'm planing to do this every Monday and Wednesday and the open gym one other day. I'm thinking it will interfere with lifting quite a bit, but it's not like I'm really peaking in strength anyways.

It may interfere with lifting, but it's always good to do something that gets the heart rate up and the lungs blowing. Cardio is pretty important for longevity. Plus, if you and your kid are both giving it a go, then it's something else to bond over/do together. Sounds like winning all round mate. Congrats, hope you both get something out of it.

On a separate note, gave some brewing a go again on the weekend for the first time in a couple of years. Aimed for about an 18L batch of barleywine, but wound up overdoing the boil and got less than intended. Fermentation going well, there should be about 16L of 14%-ish beer coming through. Looking forward to giving it a hoon in a few weeks once it's ready.

Have you brewed anything that strong before?

Not quite - I have done an imperial stout or two, as well as another barleywine, but this is going to be a particularly boozy time. It'll be interesting to see how well it attenuates. 14% is based on about 75% attenuation, so could even wind up being a bit stronger. #yolo

Not quite - I have done an imperial stout or two, as well as another barleywine, but this is going to be a particularly boozy time. It'll be interesting to see how well it attenuates. 14% is based on about 75% attenuation, so could even wind up being a bit stronger. #yolo
Do you have a bottle of oxygen and a stainless stone? Getting enough oxygen into the wort is very important. And I'd suggest that you re-oxygenate a day or two after fermentation really kicks off. You don't have to worry about oxidizing, as it'll all get used up or driven out. People do it with wine/mead all the time.

What was your OG and what are you hoping to hit for a FG?

Will you be adding any adjuncts to secondary?

Do you have a bottle of oxygen and a stainless stone? Getting enough oxygen into the wort is very important. And I'd suggest that you re-oxygenate a day or two after fermentation really kicks off. You don't have to worry about oxidizing, as it'll all get used up or driven out. People do it with wine/mead all the time.

What was your OG and what are you hoping to hit for a FG?

Will you be adding any adjuncts to secondary?

Negative - it's a pretty rudimentary set-up, just a stainless 26L fermenter, no closed transfers or anything so the wort will have oxygenated plenty as we tipped it into the fermenter haha. Unfortunately, it also means at this stage that we can't oxygenate the wort again as it goes, but we did add plenty of yeast nutrient and pitched a pretty high cell count, so hoping that carries through. At this stage the only way to re-oxygenate the wort is basically just give the fermenter a good shake haha.

Here's the fermenter:
ss-brew-bucket__53384.1597223326.386.513__13636.1631755877.jpg

OG was 1.123. Using US05 yeast, hoping for around 1.028 to finish up on.

No secondary fermentation - going straight from fermenter to bottle. We'll leave it sitting on the yeast for a week after the gravity stabilises. I'm not worried too much about it needing more time to clean up- once bottled and carbed up, cold crashing it for a week should do about as much as we need it to.

Barley wines are kind of hit or miss for me, they're either really good or not something I'd want to finish a glass of. I do tend to prefer the boozier ones though, good luck with yours!

What's everybody's take on changing clubs or teams? I'll leave the rugby club I'm currently playing for this year and maybe it's the BJJ-influence with all the creonte-BS, but part of me feels bad about it.
I feel a little misplaced in my team at the moment, with pretty much all of my teammates not caring much about the sport, winning, getting better and being physical, but instead being all about "inclusivity" and feeling good through playing sports. I'm not getting any younger and would like to use the time I still have in me as efficiently as possible, surrounded by people I can trust on the pitch and feel connected to off the pitch...

What's everybody's take on changing clubs or teams? I'll leave the rugby club I'm currently playing for this year and maybe it's the BJJ-influence with all the creonte-BS, but part of me feels bad about it.
I feel a little misplaced in my team at the moment, with pretty much all of my teammates not caring much about the sport, winning, getting better and being physical, but instead being all about "inclusivity" and feeling good through playing sports. I'm not getting any younger and would like to use the time I still have in me as efficiently as possible, surrounded by people I can trust on the pitch and feel connected to off the pitch...
Got to do what you have to do @xPINKx if it's not a good fit for you, move on.

What @MilkManUK said, @xPINKx , you gotta do you. There's a reason that on Friday nights I don't train at the gym I teach at/usually train at, and that's just that I need more competitive sparring than what I can get. Pick the environment that matches your goals and what you want to get out of it.

RE fermenting sugary grain water, the gravity has dropped from 1.123 down to 1.032 already. Should only be another couple days until fermentation stalls out, then we can add some finings, let it clear up for a day or two, and then bottle it. It's definitely a lot more American barleywine than I had been aiming for, but oh well. Long enough in the bottle and it'll condition out pretty well I reckon.

I've definitely consumed some hit and miss barleywine in my life, but the really good ones have definitely been some of the best liquids I've ever consumed. Yummy yummy good times have been had for sure.

Beer update: fermentation stalled out at 1.030 final gravity, giving us pretty much bang on 14%. Wound up bottling 12L total. Local supply shop was out of 500ml bottles, so we used 750ml quart bottles instead, which means any time a bottle gets opened someone is getting drunk for sure.

It's still very fairly astringent, but I reckon with a good bit of time on it, it'll come along well enough. We'll open a bottle pretty soon - Shaun's moving overseas, so we'll have to test it before then.

I love how there's hardly ever a beer in a 750ml-bottle that's not properly strong. In the bottle shop I used to work in, there were only a few Belgian sours in big bottles, everything else was 10%+.

@xPINKx over here, the 750ml format is super common for cheap NZ draught lagers. There's one company that recycles the bottles, and the wooden crates they get sold in. At most liquor stores you can buy a crate of 12 x 750ml bottles at a certain price, but you can also receive a discount if you bring back the crate and the set of empties. Which is part of the beauty of this - most people associate these styles of bottles with sinking 4% cheap beer, so we've bottled a 14%er.

Here's what I'm talking about:

0006390_tui-swappa-crate-12x745ml-btls.jpeg

In Germany you pay deposit on pretty much every can or bottle. Glass is usually 8 cents, plastic or cans are 25 cents. And if you buy a crate, that's usually 1,50€.

I just saw a man in a very loud gym-outfit fall out of a lat-pulldown. I'm flabbergasted still.

How are we all doing pub?

I've let training this week hit the shits as I shift house. It's hard enough fitting it in around fulltime work + training others, but this week with extra packing, unpacking, cleaning, and procuring new furniture it's become bloody impossible.

How are we all doing pub?

I've let training this week hit the shits as I shift house. It's hard enough fitting it in around fulltime work + training others, but this week with extra packing, unpacking, cleaning, and procuring new furniture it's become bloody impossible.
I just drove 13 hours. I might hit the gym to loosen up.

Back