Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

If you have a spare pin will just the pin go in the pin slot in the upper? I'm wondering if it's the hole diameter or if the slot is drilled crooked.

The hole is big enough. I think it's just crooked. It pushes in the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the way and then hits a wall. I've hammered it in and out a little further than that before. If I stick a loose pin in from the other side it's go about 1/2 before getting stuck.

With the tripod, the rail mounts into it. There's two allen screws and a loose plate on the other side they screw into. Seems the screws have to come all the way out so the rail can seat and then slap the plate up against it and screw it down. Kind of a pain in the ass while also holding the gun. Especially since it's kind of abrasive and moving/rocking the handguard around is bad.

Here's the mount in the picture. The screws are on the other side.

ep7qRzA.jpg

Rather than struggling and taking damage, I wondered about getting a mount for the mount. Something quick detach. Like this perhaps.

p_100009996_2.jpg

I'd turn it upside down and clamp it into the tripod. Then to mount the gun I put the gun's rail in there and flip the switch. Beats having to keep track of a wrench too. Haven't combed the market yet, but this little bugger ain't cheap. $95. :eek:

$12.95. How good could it be for that price? Description says single piece of machined aluminum.

61CSWnOAxeL._SL1500_.jpg

@RerouteToRemain

I finally got everything together for the two cerakote jobs and dropped everything off to be picked up by UPS today. Finally!

Also, I bought this QD mount two posts above and when it arrived it was not as...big as I was hoping. Seems a little weak to attach the belt-fed to the tripod. Seems like two attachment points would be wiser. So I ordered one of the $20 Chinese mounts off Ebay. It isn't QD, but it's got knobs to tighten it and I won't need to dick around with an allen wrench. Now I've got an $85 Vortex Razor riser mount and no Vortex Razor. lol

@RerouteToRemain

I finally got everything together for the two cerakote jobs and dropped everything off to be picked up by UPS today. Finally!

Also, I bought this QD mount two posts above and when it arrived it was not as...big as I was hoping. Seems a little weak to attach the belt-fed to the tripod. Seems like two attachment points would be wiser. So I ordered one of the $20 Chinese mounts off Ebay. It isn't QD, but it's got knobs to tighten it and I won't need to dick around with an allen wrench. Now I've got an $85 Vortex Razor riser mount and no Vortex Razor. lol

About time haha. What is that build, 4 years in the making?

The problem with the rear takedown pin on the belt-fed is now solved. About a minute's work with a round chainsaw sharpening file did the trick. Didn't need to remove much metal. Just a wee bit. Swabbed some aluminum black in the hole for good measure. Pin goes in easy and there's no play between the receivers.

Need to make a trip to the range soon. Test out the new tripod, Lantac dragon, and heavier spring & buffer. Also the new stock. Put a Luth-AR on there in hopes of getting some cheek-weld. That wasn't happening with the skeleton stock and the Elcan Specter. One of those needed to go so I put the stock on that I'd picked up for the 6.8 build. It makes the gun more bulky, but the adjustability is great. Still not 100% on the optic, so we'll see.

With the tripod, the rail mounts into it. There's two allen screws and a loose plate on the other side they screw into. Seems the screws have to come all the way out so the rail can seat and then slap the plate up against it and screw it down. Kind of a pain in the ass while also holding the gun. Especially since it's kind of abrasive and moving/rocking the handguard around is bad.

Here's the mount in the picture. The screws are on the other side.

ep7qRzA.jpg

Rather than struggling and taking damage, I wondered about getting a mount for the mount. Something quick detach. Like this perhaps.

p_100009996_2.jpg

I'd turn it upside down and clamp it into the tripod. Then to mount the gun I put the gun's rail in there and flip the switch. Beats having to keep track of a wrench too. Haven't combed the market yet, but this little bugger ain't cheap. $95. :eek:

Hey How much was this big ass bipod and where'd you get it from?

Does it hold the shit steady?

Hey How much was this big ass bipod and where'd you get it from?

Does it hold the shit steady?

$850 shipped. Gunbroker.

It does without shooting. Thing is friggin' solid. We'll see how it performs during live-fire tests shortly. The hydraulics allow for adjusting the resistance to movement. I imagine that'll help quite a bit.

$850 shipped. Gunbroker.

It does without shooting. Thing is friggin' solid. We'll see how it performs during live-fire tests shortly. The hydraulics allow for adjusting the resistance to movement. I imagine that'll help quite a bit.

Dang, that's 5Hipoints and money to spare!

Just as Accurate thrown as shot! (give you something to attach that bayonet to)
Lfo6c9GKWuIEEHq-hCrlWU-5VRGssxu--LlQ9ZAd6vE.jpg

Dang, that's 5Hipoints and money to spare!

Sure, but I can only fire one (or two) guns at a time and those hi-points won't hold my belt-fed stable. :cool:

Shit, I've got too many already (or not enough room). Either way, it's time to downsize the collection and focus on the guns I enjoy shooting.

Sure, but I can only fire one (or two) guns at a time and those hi-points won't hold my belt-fed stable. :cool:

Shit, I've got too many already (or not enough room). Either way, it's time to downsize the collection and focus on the guns I enjoy shooting.

Losing guns is like losing wives, you could miss them when they're gone!
<{1-16}>

P5BV9c9.jpg

Got the 13.2 done. Very happy how it turned out. Just needs an optic now.

oxh3nPM.jpg

My three
qg7mVAq.jpg

14.5 compared to the 13.2. The 13.2 is exactly 2 inches shorter overall than the pinned and welded 14.5.
2hIuRQP.jpg

I can't figure out why I've stopped getting notifications for this thread . . . I haven't turned them off and I'm still subscribed to/watching this thread.

Advise needed....

I am in the middle of my AR-10 build and have a question on what I should prioritize next.

I have a barrel, the completed lower, a Geissele trigger I want to swap into it and nothing else for it. I figure the gas block/tube I can buy last so this is where I am now:

Do I get a complete upper from PSA to match with my PSA lower, then get a handguard

Do I find the optic I want (Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP)

Or... do I say fuck it and wait for potential sales around the 4th of July for those and then grab a chassis for the dormant R700 project of mine?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back