***Khamzat vs Burns MEGATHREAD***

Who won?

• Total voters
One thing is for sure, i will not miss that one
I rewatched the fight today, that moment I talked about didn’t feel as meaningful to me as in the moment yesterday. I now think Burns won, but see it as a close round still. Now I’m more upset, lost money live betting Yan, straight bet on Torres and Burns, a 1k swing.

To form opinion on a fight you should watch it. If you’re watching highlights you’re eliminating 3/4 of a
What happened.

Ridiculous evasion of reality.
No two fighters had the exact same resume.
"Impressive" is subjective, not factual.

For that matter, RDA didn't face Damien Maia, Tyron Woodley, Gunnar Nelson, Alex Oliveira, or Khamzat Chimaev, either.

The factual reality is, Gilbert Burns is ranked higher than RDA, and has 2x the KO ability and submission ability as RDA.

That's what the numbers actually show.
Uh, I was trying to be polite, but you're showing both your lack of MMA knowledge and data application. FWIW, my "creds" are similar--I've followed the sport since UFC 1 and trained at a judo/JJ school that started learning from Gracie VHS tapes in the early 90s. The overall number of high-level opponents is substantially greater for RDA. Add to that that he fought almost all of them in their primes, including Pettis, Cerrone, Nate, Tony Ferguson, etc.

Khazmat won by the round scoring system. But not by much. Honestly you could argue Burns did more damage but all of it come in the 2nd round. So Khazmat won in my opinion fair and square.

I left this fight more impressed with Burns. He went out there and fought hard, so I have to respect him for that.

And lastly, I don't think Khazmat is at the level of Usman, or covington yet. I know he would give anybody a tough fight but I just don't think he's quite there yet. he's got to work on this striking defense a little and I think if you look back on it, that's how Usman got better and got to where he is today
So far, one thing that separates Khamzat from the greats is how to make adjustments and prepare for contingencies in fights. I can give him some slack because his "either I KO you standing or take you down and pound you" Hulk-smash style worked until Burns. But once he couldn't get a quick finish, all he could do was brawl. His size advantage helped, too. If he fights MWs or Usman, his size/strength advantage will be gone. We'll see if he learns to make adjustments and fight smart when he can't get a quick finish. He may have a relatively short career if his striking defense is nothing more than "try to land more shots than the other guy and pray for a KO."

I don't know who would win, but so far Colby's only been stopped by one jawbreaking shot from Usman. He's dished out (and taken) hundreds of other shots. I know Khamzat has power, but last night he coiuldn't finish a guy who got KO'd by Dan freakin' Hooker. So let's not pretend that every punch Khamzat throws has prime George Foreman power or something. Like I said, I can see Colby winning an extended brawl (perhaps with some wrestling exchanges as well) by having a better gas tank than Khamzat, who makes a bigger cut at WW. It's one of many possibilities.

Ca
I rewatched the fight today, that moment I talked about didn’t feel as meaningful to me as in the moment yesterday. I now think Burns won, but see it as a close round still. Now I’m more upset, lost money live betting Yan, straight bet on Torres and Burns, a 1k swing.

I too lost money on burns but i thought he lost that one tbh

He ran out of gas yet he threw more punches and landed more punches in the 3rd than the first and third rounds.

I think we have different ideas as to what gassing means.

Not all punches are made equal. Both guys were throwing rubbish rd3

No he didn't. Usman didn't take anywhere near as much damage as Chimaev did, and he finished Burns decisively.

mare you sure about this?

from my recollection, burns almost finished usman in that fight and after round 1, it looked like burns was going to decisively defeat usman.

idk you are making it sound like usman just dominated the fight and was never in danger.

I’ll go rewatch the fight if you think my recollection is incorrect

So far, one thing that separates Khamzat from the greats is how to make adjustments and prepare for contingencies in fights. I can give him some slack because his "either I KO you standing or take you down and pound you" Hulk-smash style worked until Burns. But once he couldn't get a quick finish, all he could do was brawl. His size advantage helped, too. If he fights MWs or Usman, his size/strength advantage will be gone. We'll see if he learns to make adjustments and fight smart when he can't get a quick finish. He may have a relatively short career if his striking defense is nothing more than "try to land more shots than the other guy and pray for a KO."
Very good points. Prior to this fight I thought maybe this is the "guy" but now I have more questions.

Reactions: mkt
Back