Law Latino SDG&E Line Man Sues Utility For Firing After False "White Supremacy" Accusation Went Viral

What happens to the guy who isn't 75% Mexican and is in the same situation? Also plenty of Mexican people are white...

The problem isn't that he was Mexican or isn't white. The problem is that someone felt the need to photograph another person out of context with their fingers in an O shape, and society decided that was enough to ruin their lives and label them one of the worst things to be labelled right now.

Last edited:
Leaving aside the actual topic of discussion?

That's how threads in the WR are generally derailed.
No it is not a derailement because I take issue with a specific comment made in the O.P's article.

Is Chinese also only a nationality?

Why is it racist to call covid the chinese virus then?

Chinese is technically a nationality , but can be assumed to denote a race because over 90% of the country is Han Chinese. So when people say "Chinese" they mean Han, they are not referring to Tibetans , Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Mongolians etc..

Calling the virus the Wuhan virus is not racist. Calling it the "China virus" is somewhat problematic but it was NOT racist when Trump said "Chy-na Virus" because he was specifically responding to China claiming the US introduced the virus into China. Trump's "Chy-na virus" comment needs to be considered in this context.

Yeah dude and I can point you to Cholos that live in Japan. Doesn’t mean it is widespread or culturally relevant.

You’re explaining a bunch of nuances that aren’t relevant to American culture. He is not going to be accepted by any white supremacists and isn’t one and wasn’t ever likely to subscribe to those beliefs.

By your definition of belief in that, we can also find Black white supremacists, in which case it is obvious how utterly worthless and pointless it is to debate that. Or are you going to explain to me about the nuances of colorism?

While the neo nazism is minor aspect, White supremacy in Mexico and latin America is not minor, it is very much an entrenched feature of their cultures. Or did you think the descendants of the conquistadores just quit being White supremacist?

Most of the elites in Latin America are White. Mexico's elite are White, even though most of the country is Mestizo and Amerindians.

Colorism is a thing, you do know that don't you? It is part of racism.

It very much is White supremacy because these folks believe Amerindians - derogatorialy called Indios - and Blacks are racially inferior. These folks also believe in doing what ti takes to maintin White hegemony over the power structure. In Bolivia, the Whites and Mestizos were opposed to the Amerindian Evo Morales, because Morales was seen as supporting the historically suppressed full blooded Amerindians.

If North America can have White supremacy then why couldn't Latin America, when both regions saw colonization by Europeans and their descendants still control both regions, for the most part.

Recently Argentina's president was accused of racism when he said Argentines came from ships while Brazilians came from the jungle and Mexicans came from the Indians.

Latin America has a caste system, which was racially based. The Whiter you were, the higher up the caste ladder you were.
I mean it is possibly for them to be racist but it doesn’t fit into the Americans version of WS. Which is based on purity of your race. If you are mixed, you are no better than a black or what have you. It’s. A very different form of racism and it doesn’t square nicely with a US version. It’s weird that the media wants it to be this way

I mean it is possibly for them to be racist but it doesn’t fit into the Americans version of WS. Which is based on purity of your race. If you are mixed, you are no better than a black or what have you. It’s. A very different form of racism and it doesn’t square nicely with a US version. It’s weird that the media wants it to be this way
A mixed person can identify with the colonizing / dominant culture, and be racist against a person who is predominantly of native ancestry or fully native.

Sayyid Qutb, one of the most if not the most influential Muslim Brotherhood intellectual, was derisive of African American culture, even though Qutb obviously had sub Saharan ancestry. Qutb would have identified himself as Egyptian ,Arab and Muslim so there is no reason to assume he felt common cause with African Americans just because he happened to share some Sub Saharan ancestry.

giphy.gif
b7f83f8ebbb5277a4d9d3829edff2830.gif

i guess Eddie Murphy is a white supremacist

Idk. You've never bitched about a random bad interaction on social media? I can see someone just bitching to what he though was a small group of followers, and then it going viral. The post said he deleted his tweet just a few days later.

He literally posted a photo on SOCIAL media of this guy's face and company and provided exact details of the person in question to the company in hopes of getting him fired.

This isn't an "oops my bad" decision. He deliberately attacked that man using technology.

Why am I not surprised that you're on the wrong side of things?

This is another cog in the whole bullshit churning machine that really pisses me off, the selective emphasis they use to continue their nonsense.

Seriously, how many people in America, supposedly a "horribly racist country" (according to that 58miles guy or whatever he is, verbatim, I can pull up the post) would call themselves "Nazis", or at least ascribe to the racist and race-centric principles of them? Could you find even 10,000.00? Cue the retards saying "That's 10k too many!" No shit, sherlock. We have too many everything. We have one too many AIDS viruses. We've had two too many World Wars. Do we torpedo lives and cities and economies over those?

And I'm not even saying that racism shouldn't be addressed; it should. But the distribution of reports is so remarkably skewed like an enormous comb-over. On the planet.

Hey look at this.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/...-humboldt-park-police-puerto-rican-day-parade
Chicago: Puerto Rican man and his wife, dragged out of their car and shot by at least three people. Why? Because the retards thought the Puerto Rican flag, which was being displayed, on PUERTO RICO DAY, was a confederate flag.

"Police would not comment on the video Monday morning. No one was reported in custody, and no descriptions or images of the attackers were released."

Well I fucking wonder why that might be.

Don't see any of the networks covering this comfy piece. And if I hadn't brought it up how many people would have never heard of it?

In case anyone is wondering, the video is graphic, unmistakable and heart-wrenching. The guy tries to cover up his woman to protect her.

And yet despite all this, and despite the fact that this happens in copious volume, and despite the fact that there is an obvious, blatant and coordinated effort by the media to memory hole stuff like this, despite the fact that every fucking blue checkmark is either telling you that white people are the problem, that whiteness is a disease OR standing in solidarity with those who do so... if you dare to express fear, or even say or indicate that there is a problem, you will get the usuals on here saying "Oh poor white boys so scared," or something that basically to the effect of:
1) You're so privileged that something as obscure and seldom as this makes you think you're under attack
and/or
2) Now you know how minorities feel all the time.

Both of which are bullshit and logical fallacies.

Umm..... Where are you getting this information that they were murdered because of a mistaken flag? That's literally not in your article at all, and you're ignoring the wreck that occurred right before. There's a million reasons why that shooting might have happened.

The Puerto Rico flag looks nothing like the Confederate flag.

A mixed person can identify with the colonizing / dominant culture, and be racist against a person who is predominantly of native ancestry or fully native.

Sayyid Qutb, one of the most if not the most influential Muslim Brotherhood intellectual, was derisive of African American culture, even though Qutb obviously had sub Saharan ancestry. Qutb would have identified himself as Egyptian ,Arab and Muslim so there is no reason to assume he felt common cause with African Americans just because he happened to share some Sub Saharan ancestry.
It’s a different brand and would not be with what you would consider American WS. Some of their views can align but it doesn’t mean they are the same or even compatible.
Me being mixed means I would never have actual status in a WS society or group.
I think at best some of their interests overlap. But saying they are the same thing is really stretching it. As the goals, rankings and hierarchies can be pretty dissimilar

What? where?

“I’m a person of color,” Cafferty told me during an October interview. He rocked back and forth as he remembered the day. “If you look at the picture the guy took, I wasn’t doing the white power sign. I thought those two things would be the end of it and I would be exonerated. Not to mention the fact that I support Black Lives Matter.”

Stop Firing the Innocent

America needs a reckoning over racism. Punishing people who did not do anything wrong harms that important cause.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/613615/
The big shock for me is how swift he can be fired in California. PG&E isn’t a government company but it’s a utility isn’t it? Total speculation but I bet he would have a much easier time keeping his job if he were incompetent vs doing the OK sign

If you're White or White enough, you're guilty in the eyes of the sooo called anti-racists.. an example that people on far side of something end up on the opposite.

The most disgusting part about this story is that the (White) SJW who ruined this (Hispanic) man's life simply deleted his twitter and moved on once he found out that the "White Supremacist flashing a White Power hand sign" that he got fired turned out to be a Latino cracking his knuckles.

Two weeks ago he bravely contacted San Diego Gas & Electric to cancel this line man, but then went in hiding like a little bitch instead of doing anything to undo the damage he had caused. :mad:

I hope Emmanuel will get a massive payday from SDG&E, and then use some of that money to track down Mr. David Bentley and sue him for ruining his life, so punk-ass little David would think twice about doing it again to another person.
----

San Diego Gas & Electric line man fired for "white power sign" even though accuser retracted false charge
By Dorian Hargrove

Emmanuel Cafferty is not a white supremacist. If he were, he would subscribe to a doctrine wherein he admits his own inferiority, as Cafferty is of mostly Mexican descent.

But during a June 3 drive home from his job as an underground line locator for San Diego Gas & Electric, Cafferty was labeled just that.

Seconds after an unidentified man snapped a photo of Cafferty allegedly flashing a white power gesture during his drive home, Cafferty transformed from a hard-working father to a bigot. The San Diego native became the latest poster boy for online shaming and a victim of so-called cancel culture.

Now, more than four months later, still unemployed and without many job opportunities, Cafferty continues his struggle to peel off the label that has stuck to him and his family.

In early October, Cafferty submitted a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the first step towards a legal claim, against his employer, one of Southern California’s wealthiest and most powerful companies, in hopes of repairing his tattered reputation.

Emmanuel-Cafferty-tweets_t720.jpg

A man named David Bentley accused Cafferty of displaying the OK hand gesture, which in recent years has become linked to the white power movement (because it can be looked at as the letters W and P.) He urged SDG&E to take action.

Bad time to crack his knuckles

June 3, 2020; mass protests erupted across the country over the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis Police officers. Dozens of people gathered at the intersection of Pomerado and Twin Peaks roads in Poway to demonstrate.

Cafferty passed the gathering on his way home to Ramona. He then made a u-turn to get to a fast-food restaurant for an iced tea. But he changed his mind because of the traffic from the protest. Instead, Cafferty parked in a nearby parking lot to fill out his time sheet.

He drove off after completing his paperwork for the day. A mile and a half down the road, a man in the car next to him began yelling at him. The motorist pointed his cellphone at him, urging Cafferty to keep flashing the hand gesture. Cafferty, with his hand out of the window, looked at him and shrugged. The driver continued to yell before he sped off. Cafferty debated with himself over whether to call his supervisor about the incident before deciding against it.

Little did Cafferty know; the motorist was doing that for him. As Cafferty drove home, the man logged on to Twitter and posted an image of Cafferty, with his left-hand dangling outside of the driver’s window.

The motorist, a man named David Bentley, accused Cafferty of displaying the OK hand gesture, which in recent years has become linked to the white power movement (because it can be looked at as the letters W and P). He urged SDG&E to take action.

In a Twitter response, SDG&E wrote, “Please DM us the location so that we can look into it further. We assure you that at SDG&E, we believe strongly there is no place in our society for discrimination of any kind….”

By the time Cafferty arrived at his home, word of a racist SDG&E worker flashing a white power symbol at anti-racism protesters had traveled across the internet.

“I have called your service line and made a complaint. They have all of the info,” read Bentley’s June 3 tweet.

It wasn’t until Cafferty’s supervisors called him that he learned about the accusations leveled against him.

That evening, Cafferty says, two supervisors came to his home to get his truck, his laptop, and his badge. They told him that SDG&E had launched an investigation and that he needed to report for an interview the following morning.

Cafferty assumed the interview would be his chance to clear up any misinformation.

“I’m a person of color,” Cafferty told me during an October interview. He rocked back and forth as he remembered the day. “If you look at the picture the guy took, I wasn’t doing the white power sign. I thought those two things would be the end of it and I would be exonerated. Not to mention the fact that I support Black Lives Matter.”

Cafferty was wrong.

Shortly after the interview began, He sensed that a decision had already been made. “The first thing the interviewer said was that there were too many holes in my story,” Cafferty recalled. “Here my own company is, comparing my story with some white man who posted these images and his words appear to weigh heavier than mine. That, to me, is discrimination. I remember asking the interviewer, ‘Did you look into this guy? Did you see all of his controversial tweets?’ You know, he called Donald Trump the antichrist 13 times the same day he posted the pictures of me. It didn’t seem to matter.”

Two days later, after a second interview, SDG&E fired Cafferty for violating the company’s public image policy. Now unemployed and possibly unemployable, Cafferty says that single Twitter post changed his life forever. Left with few options, Cafferty has decided to fight what’s come to be known as “cancel culture.” He has done interviews in national publications, and will be featured in an upcoming HBO documentary.

Aim and shame

Public shaming of celebrities and politicians has existed for millennia. In the internet era, the shaming has intensified. Online heckling and harassment has moved from celebrities to everyday people.

“We now live in a society where people have learned they have the ability to destroy or ruin lives with a keypad. They are all quick to judge and slow to consider the truth behind a screen or a story,” says Sue Scheff, an Florida resident, internet safety expert, and author of Shame Nation: The Global Epidemic of Online Hate.

Scheff says the cancel culture has transitioned from focusing on celebrities and sports stars to everyone, and in some cases, as is the case with Cafferty, wrongly so. “We live in an aim-and-shame culture, adds Scheff. “Wherever we go, there is someone quick to record you at your worst moment. Or maybe you are being tagged inappropriately. Worse, maybe someone looks similar to you and others believe it’s you, and the internet works at lightning speed, your reputation can be gone in minutes.”

Scheff says that repairing the damage from online shaming is neither quick nor easy. “There are some cases where it has taken a victim years to repair the damage done,” added Scheff. “As someone that was a victim of internet defamation and shaming, it took me well over a year to clean up my online reputation, and I am constantly self-aware of my online presence.”

Cafferty knows that all too well. Hours after the Twitter post went viral, he said friends and family logged onto Twitter in an effort to correct the misinformation and curb the shaming. “He is a Mexican man cracking his knuckles,” wrote one family member. “You can clearly see that his fingers aren’t even in the right position to be a white supremacist sign. Or, are you too so ready to ruin anyone’s life that you refuse to see the truth right in front of you?”

But Bentley, Cafferty’s accuser, did not see it that way. “LET IT GO,” he wrote in response. “We have a difference of opinion. If I was cracking my knuckles, I would not have my arm fully extended and use the tip of my finger to do so. What I saw was someone flashing a sign that was inappropriate for what was going on around us.”

Cafferty’s own father, not a Twitter user, decided to confront his son’s accuser the old-fashioned way, in a letter. “We raised our son to be hardworking, ethical, empathetic, kind and of good character,” wrote Cafferty’s father in a June 11, 2020, letter obtained by the Reader. “I was a firefighter and my wife is a social worker who works with vulnerable families.”

Cafferty’s father explained the reason for his son’s hand gestures that day. “We first noted our son fidgeting with his fingers since he was 12 years old. He would stretch and he would constantly crack his knuckles and tap his fingers one by one. Occasionally, he would do both hands at the same time. I would often tease him and say you are doing hand exercises to play video games but I am still going to win. For you to take a lifelong quirk and turn it into something SINISTER has negatively impacted the trajectory of our son’s life.... which has destroyed his family’s livelihood.”

Continued Cafferty’s father, “The irony is you profess to stand for social justice but then you used your WHITE PRIVILEGE to get a person of color fired within hours of your untruthful accusations. You embellished your story to tell the narrative that you wanted! It would have been less cruel if you would have walked up to him and hit him over the head with a HAMMER!

Perhaps you should ponder that day with a RATIONAL MIND and truly revisit your heightened state and do the right thing!”

By June 15, less than two weeks after Bentley posted the image of Cafferty on Twitter, Bentley recanted his accusation against Cafferty to a reporter from NBC San Diego. He told the reporter he must have been “spun up” when posting the image of Cafferty on Twitter.

The damage, however, had been done. SDG&E refused to reverse Cafferty’s firing. “SDG&E stands by its decision to ultimately terminate Mr. Cafferty’s employment after a careful and good faith investigation,” said a company spokesperson. “While our investigation was initiated because a customer reported that Mr. Cafferty had made what appeared to be a white power hand gesture in the vicinity of a Black Lives Matter protest, that was not the full extent of our inquiry.

“After a thorough investigation involving multiple interviews and a detailed review of other information, including GPS data, Mr. Cafferty’s employment was terminated due to a number of considerations, including that he was only six months into his nine-month probationary period, he did not have a satisfactory explanation for why he was in the vicinity of the protest in a company vehicle, he violated company policy by engaging with the customer who took his picture, and he failed to report the incident to his supervisor. We are proud of our commitment to diversity and inclusion and remain steadfast in our approach to the investigation of Mr. Cafferty’s behavior, which was conducted in a manner consistent with our values of respect, fairness, and integrity.”

Cafferty is not convinced. “It all makes me feel so insignificant,” he told me. “It makes me feel like I am so worthless that fidgeting my hands is enough to get me fired.”

And while shedding the stigma that he is a racist is one thing, Cafferty says he is also having to defend his work ethic by proving that SDG&E didn’t have other reasons to fire him.

“It doesn’t seem fair,” Cafferty says. “I think a lot of people feel like, ‘Well, where there’s smoke, there’s fire. That there’s no way a corporation like SDG&E would have taken this action without some other reason.’ I know people say that they must have found other things. They didn’t, because there is nothing else. I worked hard to get that job, and I was happy.”

Online shaming expert Scheff says that those posting accusations online in an attempt to call someone out for some untoward behavior should think twice before going public. “Engaging in online shaming is a reflection of our own offline and online character. It’s not attractive. We all need to take a moment to consider the situation before we jump to conclusions. When in doubt, I say, click-out.”

Cafferty’s attorney Larry Shea believes his client’s only option is to take legal action. He says that the company’s refusal to look at Bentley’s retraction as well as Cafferty’s heritage shows that something much bigger may be at play.

“All we wanted was Emmanuel Cafferty’s job back. If SDG&E did that, we were willing to just walk away. But they didn’t do it. They won’t do it. They wouldn’t even discuss it. So, it’s almost like he’s not important enough for that kind of a resolution.

“SDG&E knows this guy [Bentley] backpedaled once he found out he was accusing an Hispanic of being a white supremacist,” said Shea. “The company has no evidence that Cafferty is a white supremacist. None whatsoever. And, that’s because he isn’t. It’s ludicrous to even suggest such a thing. We’re all wrestling with this concept of, what is systemic racism? But to me, it exists when persons of color just don’t count as much. It’s not like 1950s racism, where someone is targeted because of race. It’s more insidious. It’s more structural. It’s denial of equal personal worth. Emmanuel Cafferty’s case shows that [people of color] just aren’t important enough to warrant a thorough investigation at SDG&E. Without any facts showing Cafferty did anything whatsoever wrong, SDG&E sacrificed him to the online mob so that the mob would move on to something else and leave SDG&E alone. That kind of cowardice only shows SDG&E didn’t feel his job was significant enough to defend even when all the facts prove he is innocent. When the accuser recanted, Cafferty still wasn’t important enough to warrant reconsideration. He just isn’t important enough to be treated fairly.”

“It’s impossible to say how much this has affected me,” Cafferty laments. “How do I measure it? I don’t know. One thing I do know is that I hate every minute of this. I hate doing these interviews, and I hate having to defend myself against something that is not true.”

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2020/nov/25/cover-sdge-line-man-fired-white-power-sign/

White Privilege BLMers are the true evil in our society. Always trying to invent racism to serve their insecure needs

What happens to the guy who isn't 75% Mexican and is in the same situation? Also plenty of Mexican people are white...

The problem isn't that he was Mexican or isn't white. The problem is that someone felt the need to photograph another person out of context with their fingers in an O shape, and society decided that was enough to ruin their lives and label them one of the worst things to be labelled right now.
Yep. I’m probably 75% and if it happened to me, I’m White enough for the accusations to stick. Absolutely disgusting. These people aren’t even truly human anymore

Back