Opinion MAID is Not Only Unethical, It's Murder

Im not interested in "the Doctors doing it" If they did anything wrong the Canadian government
should deal with them.
I don't think they have jurisdiction in the Netherlands...

Leftists...

>Ban speech that could cause people to be suicidal

>Literally support speech and actions of suicide

Why? If im paying high taxes for high-quality services like free healthcare
I should at least have local access to euthanasia services.
It wouldn't work for a medical system like America. If there is reimbursement from the state then certain characters can profit from it. It's a complicated issue but there will be bad actors that will push people towards this avenue. With our system we will see horror stories that will come from this.

At best it should be a service that the state can provide at cost. They hire a doctor and that person only does this gig. They get paid a base salary vs reimbursement of patients they can take. The medication used in the procedure aren't too expensive. It shouldn't be privatized clinic or involve insurance.

Sigh what a world. I've been dealing with crippling depression most of my life. The things I've gone through, the things I've lost. The pain I've struggled through completely alone in the world, to try to find some way to keep going. Keep adapting. Yeah sometimes it really doesn't feel worth it. But I try really hard to hold on to hope somehow. Aynd now they're just going to tell mentally ill people NOT to try. just give up. You're right, you aren't worth it. What a horrible message to send. Why not try to fucking help her get better instead? Fuck you guys.

<{hughesimpress}>
I have witnessed a deep meditation practice do wonders for people with severe depression and borderline personality. it is a hard road but I have watched a deep practice slowly heal even people with borderline disorder over time. depression is something I have NEVER seen not get totally healed if a person takes a deep dive with a spiritual advisor.

no freaking way should we be encouraging people to just give up. plus the people I know who have borderline (who are the slowest to heal) are wonderful people and I am very grateful to know them. they bring value to people's lives.

aren't they recommending assisted suicide for every fucking thing in canada?
like, doctors informing patients that it's an option.
it's one thing to ask for it, but in this case it's literally them telling you yeah, there's also the option of killing yourself for that chronic back pain.
is this a money maker or what?

some of these stories are outrageous

"A national CTV news story recounted how “Sophia” was unable to secure affordable housing compatible with her chemical sensitivities. She chose MAiD because she could not find a healthy and affordable place to live given her meager disability support income, and prior to her death by MAiD recorded a video where she stated “the government sees me as expendable trash”"
She couldn't fit in with public housing provided by the state. She was allergic to cleaning chemicals and cigarette smoke. The MAID cases in Canada range from legit to straight horror stories. Some of them are just homeless case with depression.

She couldn't fit in with public housing provided by the state. She was allergic to cleaning chemicals and cigarette smoke. The MAID cases in Canada range from legit to straight horror stories. Some of them are just homeless case with depression.
it's fucking repulsive is what it is.

it's fucking repulsive is what it is.
Some cases are legit. The option should be available but highly scrutinized.

Edit: I read some of the woman's case. The doctors even tried to get her affordable housing. She wouldn't compromise. The government also helped to seal the vents and prevent cleaners from cleaning the hallway near her. The government and the landlord didn't want to do anymore.

Last edited:
Some cases are legit. The option should be available but highly scrutinized.
It should not available for anyone but the terminally ill. What would you think of a psychiatrist who would suggest suicide to their vulnerable patients as a "solution" to their problems? Pretty sinister shit, right? Probably should have their license taken away, right?

So what's the difference here?

Why? If im paying high taxes for high-quality services like free healthcare
I should at least have local access to euthanasia services.

And doctors who are encouraging you “To go kill yourself”

I mean… why waste tax payer money?

Stage 4 Cancer? Thousands of dollars to treat it?

Cmon, do yourself (and society) a favor by taking the quick way out

cqsCSWtljevpm.webp

It should not available for anyone but the terminally ill. What would you think of a psychiatrist who would suggest suicide to their vulnerable patients as a "solution" to their problems? Pretty sinister shit, right? Probably should have their license taken away, right?

So what's the difference here?
Suppose say I have brain damage that will get progressively worse. Currently I am still lucid enough to know that the future isn't a bright one. Shouldn't I have the right to exit with dignity and not suffer?

What experts? A bunch of doctors who know nothing about the nature of the mind and how to cure these types of problems? If they're not capable of solving these types of problems, then they're not really experts are they?
It’s entertaining seeing your holistic understanding on one hand (congrats, I wholeheartedly agree) and your militant acceptance of things barely sniffed or understood in comparison to medicine (climate). You’ll get there.

Suppose say I have brain damage that will get progressively worse. Currently I am still lucid enough to know that the future isn't a bright one. Shouldn't I have the right to exit with dignity and not suffer?
Sounds like you're describing something that might be terminal. But hey, I'll even go so far to say that people with severe disabilities(paralyzed from the neck down, for instance), should be put into consideration.

How 'bout we just stick to the case at hand? We don't need any hypothetical scenarios. We got a real one. Depression. You think it's cool for doctors to suggest to depressed people that they should kill themselves, and then facilitate it? Call me crazy, but that just sounds like straight up murder, and at the very least, a complete and utter failure of the medical community.

And doctors who are encouraging you “To go kill yourself”

I mean… why waste tax payer money?

Stage 4 Cancer? Thousands of dollars to treat it?

Cmon, do yourself (and society) a favor by taking the quick way out

cqsCSWtljevpm.webp

I know your not the sharpest tool in the shed but when you pay taxes you are a tax payer
and your entitled to that money.
Just stick to being a right wing clown in the meme thread or something like that. this stuff is clearly too complex for you.

I don't have an issue with people engaging in suicide. It's a choice, not one I agree with, but it's their choice.

I do have an issue with allowing 3rd parties to participate in the process. IMO, that should be criminal. It's too easy to influence or manipulate people in vulnerable circumstances.

We have had teenagers commit suicide because of peer influence. We've prosecuted those who influenced them (involuntary manslaughter in Minnesota).

Sounds like you're describing something that might be terminal. But hey, I'll even go so far to say that people with severe disabilities(paralyzed from the neck down, for instance), should be put into consideration.

How 'bout we just stick to the case at hand? We don't need any hypothetical scenarios. We got a real one. Depression. You think it's cool for doctors to suggest to depressed people that they should kill themselves, and then facilitate it? Call me crazy, but that just sounds like straight up murder, and at the very least, a complete and utter failure of the medical community.
Now you want to switch to the case at hand? Ok fair enough.

Suppose say we have a person with a lifetime case of depression just like the Dutch woman. She grew up seemingly normal with no trauma. Do we just lock them up for the rest of their life in an institution and drug them? She has battled severe depression for over a decade with no relief. She also hears voices and is chronically suicidal. She has attempted suicide over twenty times. The only times that she has some clarity is when she expresses her wish to end her own life. The doctors already exhausted all options to diminish the symptoms of her pathology. There is nothing they can do outside showing their patient some meta-analysis showing that people with her affliction might calm down after age 40. She is 28 now. She still wants to continue with the decision of ending her life because she feels she cannot suffer another decade plus. As a doctor do you abandon your patient or continue with her wishes?

I just described the Dutch woman's case. It's not so clear cut as evil doctors guiding her towards suicide. They done all they can to dull the symptoms of her pathology but it isn't enough for her.

Dumb way to frame your question. Depression describes a ridiculously huge spectrum of suffering and symptoms so asking if it’s “cool for doctors to suggest to depressed people that they should kill themselves” is a dumb question.

You brought up paralyzed people being put into consideration for assisted suicide. What if only their foot is paralyzed? Clearly you need to be specific in how severe the infliction is to have a serious convo about it. Which is why you are specific when you bring up how paralyzed a person is but just throw out “depressed” in a vague dishonest way.

Also, there’s nothing in the article that points to any doctor suggesting this to her. It says it was her decision. You made the suggestion part up of nowhere. The whole post doesn’t make sense.

Back