Social Major study finds Gender Affirming Care has no significant effect on suicide rate

Yeah well over 200x the average is high no matter how you slice it.
Facepalm-Transparent-Background.png

Can't find any peer reviews for this and I cant access the data, even through academic sites without researchers request.

This doesn't fit with the meta-data for previous studies, so I don't know what to even make of this.

Have to wait and see. There's oddly little information on this study outside a couple of right wing magazines and the paper itself. Oh, and some religous magazines.

Unfortunately the only full copy of the paper I can find is in Finnish, which is the worlds most impenetrable language. (Finnish really is, props to the Finns for such a beautiful sounding and complex language).

It's also oddly short as a clinical paper. It's only a couple of pages long at most.

All very strange, have to wait and see.
<{MingNope}>

So, a staunchly held talking point of the pro-gender affirming care for minors (namely cross-sex hormones and gender-transition surgeries) will no doubt come under fire due to a new study coming out of Finland. The findings of the study seem to align with the counter point that the notion of gender affirming care helping to mitigate suicides has always been more assumption than fact.

On top of that the study indicates that gender distress severe enough to send young people to a gender clinic wasn’t independently linked to a higher suicide death rate either. The study did find there is a slightly higher suicide rate among trans people, but indicates that this is likely due to a higher rate of overall psychiatric problems as opposed to simply gender distress alone.

The study urges that overall comprehensive mental health care, not selecting gender distress alone, is the solution.

Basically, overall, this seems to put a big hole in the idea that gender affirming care was helping to mitigate suicides. Many people will probably say "No, shit", but this has been one of the biggest arguments for the pro gender affirming care for minors crowd.

I wish scientists in Finland could perform other sociological studies on the USA.
As an alternative to such studies only being done by American far left academics who coincidentally always “find” exactly what they set out to find. And if they ever found anything else, they would be excommunicated and cancelled.

I wish scientists in Finland could perform other sociological studies on the USA.
As an alternative to such studies only being done by American far left academics who coincidentally always “find” exactly what they set out to find. And if they ever found anything else, they would be excommunicated and cancelled.
That not evenly remotely close to how academic institutions work, especially in science departments. That's hind brain conspiracy thinking.

Unless you mean the replication crisis, which had no political agenda apart from greed and hubris (and ivy league aholery). I'd argue clinical psychology etc barely classifies as a science anyway 😜

Last edited:
You mean telling a mentally ill person that they’re not crazy, it’s just that they’re born in the wrong body, doesn’t really help them?!?
maxresdefault.jpg

POV: When cutting off your genitals and permanently maiming your body doesn’t bring the happiness they promised you.

But now those medical officials are paid and gone… and you’re on your own to pick up the pieces

NY Post, 'nuff said.

Here's what the article sidesteps: they're implying gender affirming care doesn't help people by making this connection to suicide without actually establishing that it's true. I agree it's good to have established that mental healthcare in North America is not anywhere close to adequate and that it's the main way to reduce incidence of suicide.

Whether or not the conclusions of the study are accurate, however, it does not show people should not receive gender affirming care, rather that it doesn't serve that particular purpose.

Case in point,
this is NOT new information. it is well known among all the people who are intellectually curious and honest. we are mutilating a whole generation of kids chemically and surgically and supporting mental illness.
This is the kind of garbage the NY Post wanted to generate with this story.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you’d suggest that it’s the NY Post article that generates garbage. Instead science is a licensed medical professional who asserts to a patient that removing their Penis/testicles and cross dressing makes them a real girl?
NY Post, 'nuff said.

Here's what the article sidesteps: they're implying gender affirming care doesn't help people by making this connection to suicide without actually establishing that it's true. I agree it's good to have established that mental healthcare in North America is not anywhere close to adequate and that it's the main way to reduce incidence of suicide.

Whether or not the conclusions of the study are accurate, however, it does not show people should not receive gender affirming care, rather than it doesn't serve that particular purpose.

Case in point,

This is the kind of garbage the NY Post wanted to generate with this story.

So, a staunchly held talking point of the pro-gender affirming care for minors (namely cross-sex hormones and gender-transition surgeries) will no doubt come under fire due to a new study coming out of Finland. The findings of the study seem to align with the counter point that the notion of gender affirming care helping to mitigate suicides has always been more assumption than fact.

On top of that the study indicates that gender distress severe enough to send young people to a gender clinic wasn’t independently linked to a higher suicide death rate either. The study did find there is a slightly higher suicide rate among trans people, but indicates that this is likely due to a higher rate of overall psychiatric problems as opposed to simply gender distress alone.

The study urges that overall comprehensive mental health care, not selecting gender distress alone, is the solution.

Basically, overall, this seems to put a big hole in the idea that gender affirming care was helping to mitigate suicides. Many people will probably say "No, shit", but this has been one of the biggest arguments for the pro gender affirming care for minors crowd.
It's not affirming anything. It's mutilation.

Just to clarify, you’d suggest that it’s the NY Post article that generates garbage. Instead science is a licensed medical professional who asserts to a patient that removing their Penis/testicles and cross dressing makes them a real girl?
No. I'm saying quite bluntly that the original paper says absolutely nothing whatsoever about the utility, efficacy, or medical appropriateness of gender affirming care, while the Post story implies that it's a bad thing just on the basis it is not related to suicide rate.

Your question makes you look dumb, just to clarify.

Last edited:
"Dr. Marci Bowers, a gender-affirmation surgeon and president of WPATH, said: “Suicide is and has always been a poor way of measuring the efficacy of gender affirming care. Sometimes this has been put up as a reason to justify gender affirming care, saying that patients have higher levels of suicidal ideation, and all that’s true. But that isn’t then the measure of the effectiveness of gender-affirming care. As far as I’m concerned, that ship is sailed. It is overwhelmingly efficacious.”"

The gaslighting is strong with this one. Suicide has always been a poor way of measuring the efficacy of gender affirming care? I mean yes, conservatives might agree with this statement, but it quite literally as of yesterday was one of the main narratives supporting the necessity of gender affirming care.

I sense @kflo coming into this thread really soon for the next 150 pages.
gee, you tag me and then will feign surprise that i'm here......

i haven't posted on the topic in months.

it's clear that most of you won't read the article and of course will run with THIS study blurbs but will reject any study that doesn't confirm your ideas.

I’m suggesting that anyone giving any credence to the idea of gender affirming care to begin with is dumb.
These deranged providers are modern day Josef Mengeles.

No. I saying quite bluntly that the original paper says absolutely nothing whatsoever about the utility, efficacy, or medical appropriateness of gender affirming care, while the Post story implies that it's a bad thing just on the basis it is not related to suicide rate.

Your question makes you look dumb, just to clarify.

Back