Metallica is Underrated - Greatest Metal Band of All Time

Was my favorite band through the Black Album.

After that, not so much.

But still they are incredible.

Underrated? No.

That's like saying Titanic is underrated.

I grew up in the Bay Area in the 80’s and they were all we listened to... they were the perfect counter to the fem/homo genre that was beginning and the hair band MTV metal. When I think about my favorite song by Metallica I realize that I’ve probably had 10 different favorite songs and to this day when Leper Mesiah,Shortest Straw, or Frayed Ends of Sanity, comes on I instantly go full air guitar mode

Lars, yes.

Hammett, no.

During each live show they always play a rare song, and Kirk always nails the solo, note-for-note.

Think about that. Eleven studio albums, 12+ hours worth of songs, probably 2 hours of Solos, and Kirk can play any solo from any song with only a few hours notice just to review it.

As for Lars, he's not exactly one of the best drummers ever, but he's been the backbone of the band through all its nearly 40 years of issues and craziness.
Seen Metallica many times as they are one of my favorite bands especially in concert. But Hammet IMO is a good guitarist but far from great.

For song writing and stage presentation they arent just the best metal band but one of the best rock bands ever.

They didn't change their genre. It grew up around them just like any other genre. They didn't have some unique music going on.

I loved the first few, bought em all on release until and including the Black Album, which marked the demise.
I'm so tired of them I can't listen to them any more.

Megadeth, on the other hand, does all the same stuff but better. Better guitars, bass, drums. Dave's voice is unique but Hetfield's voice is definitely better when he doesn't think he's a balladeer.

But Metallica, while having been a top five metal band, is hardly the best.

Never said they were the best, megadeth aint exactly much better and have been pretty fucking awful since youth.

To say Metallica didnt change their genre is absurd, it would be like saying maiden didn't change anything either, power/prog metal already existed and was around, they just got big with it

im not just another casual metal an here - think my posting history if you want to look it up would show, but to say metallica didn't change alot for metal is absurd, no matter how boring they are

bbKy1oN_zpstl7kgmhx.gif

I'm not one of those haters who pretends to dislike Metallica because it's cool, but they aren't my favorite.

I havnt really enjoyed Thrash in years but some of their new stuff is ok. Spit Out The Bone(wouldn't consider that Thrash) is pretty good, can't remember any other songs from Hardwired.

In fact, I don't really listen to Metal anymore, kinda grew out of it/bored of it. Bigger into Marcus King and Contemporary Rock n Roll.

As a lead guitar player Metallica is pretty boring, Hammet has a few good solos, but for the most part, they're bland.

Lars, yes.

Hammett, no.

During each live show they always play a rare song, and Kirk always nails the solo, note-for-note.

Think about that. Eleven studio albums, 12+ hours worth of songs, probably 2 hours of Solos, and Kirk can play any solo from any song with only a few hours notice just to review it.

As for Lars, he's not exactly one of the best drummers ever, but he's been the backbone of the band through all its nearly 40 years of issues and craziness.

To be fair the solos are in a certain key and can be improvised. Kirk has been sloppy lately, but he still has his theory down.

They didn't change their genre. It grew up around them just like any other genre. They didn't have some unique music going on.

I loved the first few, bought em all on release until and including the Black Album, which marked the demise.
I'm so tired of them I can't listen to them any more.

Megadeth, on the other hand, does all the same stuff but better. Better guitars, bass, drums. Dave's voice is unique but Hetfield's voice is definitely better when he doesn't think he's a balladeer.

But Metallica, while having been a top five metal band, is hardly the best.
Megadeth is good but not near Metallica overall. Rust in Peace only album I would even put with Metallicas first 5 albums.

Megadeth is good but not near Metallica overall. Rust in Peace only album I would even put with Metallicas first 5 albums.
Megadeth's music is more complex, more time changes, better guitar solos (Hammett is not especially good), drumming, bass playing. They've had a longer career with better output.

Metallica's best record IMO is Garage Days.
IIRC the liner notes read "Not very produced by Metallica", but it sounded good. Their albums were often over produced and too slick sounding.

I have always liked Metallica's overall rhythm guitar sound better, it's fuller.

But the guitars are what matters. And Dave combines his straight ahead, muscle-it soloing with another, more technically skilled player, and that difference makes it for me.

I've always had an easier time figuring out a Hammett solo than most Megadeth work.

Megadeth's music is more complex, more time changes, better guitar solos (Hammett is not especially good), drumming, bass playing. They've had a longer career with better output.

IIRC the liner notes read "Not very produced by Metallica", but it sounded good. Their albums were often over produced and too slick sounding.

I have always liked Metallica's overall rhythm guitar sound better, it's fuller.

But the guitars are what matters. And Dave combines his straight ahead, muscle-it soloing with another, more technically skilled player, and that difference makes it for me.

I've always had an easier time figuring out a Hammett solo than most Megadeth work.

I don't want to say Megadeth struggled with songwriting as that gives the wrong impression, but they did really struggle with writing hooks. Their music may be more complex or show better musicianship than a band like Metallica or a band like Slayer, but both those bands can put out iconic riffs and choruses. Megadeth just never had the hooks IMO.

I don't want to say Megadeth struggled with songwriting as that gives the wrong impression, but they did really struggle with writing hooks. Their music may be more complex or show better musicianship than a band like Metallica or a band like Slayer, but both those bands can put out iconic riffs and choruses. Megadeth just never had the hooks IMO.
You make a fine point. We could trade examples and counter-examples back and forth, that would be fun. I just don't have the time to get YouTubey right now.

For the moment let's just agree that I'm right, and we can work out how later on.

;)

Noone is saying Hammet is better than Mustaine ... he isnt.

What separated Metallica is song writing and production. Metallica has much better writing and put on s much better show.

Noone is saying Hammet is better than Mustaine ... he isnt.

What separated Metallica is song writing and production. Metallica has much better writing and put on s much better show.
... depends on the show. If by show, you mean a bunch of guys playing their instruments well, that's the kind of show that I like. That's the kind Metallica put on when they first started because they hated bands that focused on "show" production.

It's a fucking metal band, not n'sync.

I would never use the term "underrated" to describe Metallica. Just because their time has passed and aren't spoken about like they were in the 80s and early 90s doesn't take away from how popular and revered they were back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back