Mexican gloves various brands

New gear just came to me. Gloves are high class, but I'm not super happy with bag gloves. I think I ordered too big size. Second thing is lack of the inner lining. Unfortunately I can't try it right now, with all that covid shit and lockdown of all gyms. View attachment 808843 View attachment 808844
Love that Silver x Purple design.
I also own a pair of Gil Bag Gloves, I know it feels a little bit rough, but the latex padding is superb compared to some of the stuff on the market. One of my favorite bag gloves around.

Love that Silver x Purple design.
I also own a pair of Gil Bag Gloves, I know it feels a little bit rough, but the latex padding is superb compared to some of the stuff on the market. One of my favorite bag gloves around.
How do they fit to your wrist? Mine look wide, but I will give them chance probably. Padding should catch some roundness after while I think.

How do they fit to your wrist? Mine look wide, but I will give them chance probably. Padding should catch some roundness after while I think.
Wrist-wise, my's feel the same, but then again most "Old Fashion" Type Bag Gloves (compared to something like the RB50, what I consider as a "Modern" Type) are like that. Actually works pretty good for me when I'm wearing my Sauna Suit for the Heavy Bag since it gives me extra room to slip in the suit's cuff too.

Might sound weird, but since they are Bag Gloves, most makers rarely concern themselves on Wrist Protection (unlike regular gloves where you might need to block around those area). Like the Old School Everlast Mitt Types with just an loose Elastic Band that just slightly keep your hands in there, as long as the Bag Gloves aren't super loose and slip out when you're holding a fist hitting the bags or mitts, I think it's okay. If you have Wrist Problems or just want some extra protection in that area, you can wrap your hands.

Vintage-Everlast-x234308-Speed-Bag-Training-full-1A-700_10.10-aa52ff14-9.png

I'm kind of new to being active into this forum. I'm a boxing lover from Mexico, and have been actively practicing it as a hobby for several years now. Collecting equipment, trying it out, trading and anything related that I can find to engage more with the boxing community, is what have brought me here.

I also feel that Casanova's have a higher profile in relation to other local mexican brands, as to Campeon, Boxeo or the new branches of formers Zepol. Excluding Cleto's and Grant's from this conversation.

When was the last time you acquired your Casanova's?
I'm a medium hand size, and for me, I've felt that my hand fit in Casanova is a bit loose, even with a well made hand wrapping. However, I love the "look" of Casanova. Similar with Campeon.
upload_2021-1-21_0-3-4.jpeg

I guess in part it goes down to personal style and preferences, but given my hand size and preference, I enjoy more punching when using some tighter gloves, like any Zepol - and its branches - or Boxeo, in that order.
I've seen Zepol's and Boxeo are more commonly used in the local gyms I used to train in Mexico city.

Have you used any Zepol's branch or Boxeo lately?
Boxeo has a very particular fit to hands, and I would think is not made for big hand sizes [1.80+ m tall]. At least from several pairs I've seen taller mates try. For mid/small hands, these gloves fit strong and feels very nice when punching hard.
The weak element I'd give to Boxeo, is their "look" is not as nice as other Mexican brands, I guess in part could be to Boxeo gloves being made from Goat leather. From about 10~ pairs I've had of Boxeo, there's been issue with thumb finger position on 2 pairs. That is some high deviation. Considering that all of mexican local brands, doesn't really have an existing quality process, Boxeo has a bit more to improve regarding the latter.

The Zepol, Lopez, Gil - and any of its branches, however, to me, these are the less "known" or less commercialized, but by far the best in fitting, feeling, punching sensation and padding. Their "look" is also very fancy and unique. The tagging of the brand and brand sticker is what I would suggest could still be improved.

What mostly have got me into the loving of Made in Mexico local brands, is their uniqueness of producers not making productions of the same colors/ designs, and instead, they just produce as per request of each customer order they receive. I have the feeling, that in future, having any of these handmade pieces of equipment would be valued as collectibles - which some already mean that to me.

I would be happy to keep chatting and knowing more about your boxing suggestions and opinions. If you would like to catch me up for any boxing related subject, you can catch me up at my Instagram profile as @theboxingcollector

Last edited:
I'm kind of new to being active into this forum. I'm a boxing lover from Mexico, and have been actively practicing it as a hobby for several years now. Collecting equipment, trying it out, trading and anything related that I can find to engage more with the boxing community, is what have brought me here.

I also feel that Casanova's have a higher profile in relation to other local mexican brands, as to Campeon, Boxeo or the new branches of formers Zepol. Excluding Cleto's and Grant's from this conversation.

When was the last time you acquired your Casanova's?
I'm a medium hand size, and for me, I've felt that my hand fit in Casanova is a bit loose, even with a well made hand wrapping. However, I love the "look" of Casanova. Similar with Campeon.
View attachment 827376
View attachment 827377

I guess in part it goes down to personal style and preferences, but given my hand size and preference, I enjoy more punching when using some tighter gloves, like any Zepol - and its branches - or Boxeo, in that order.
I've seen Zepol's and Boxeo are more commonly used in the local gyms I used to train in Mexico city.

Have you used any Zepol's branch or Boxeo lately?
Boxeo has a very particular fit to hands, and I would think is not made for big hand sizes [1.80+ m tall]. At least from several pairs I've seen taller mates try. For mid/small hands, these gloves fit strong and feels very nice when punching hard.
The weak element I'd give to Boxeo, is their "look" is not as nice as other Mexican brands, I guess in part could be to Boxeo gloves being made from Goat leather. From about 10~ pairs I've had of Boxeo, there's been issue with thumb finger position on 2 pairs. That is some high deviation. Considering that all of mexican local brands, doesn't really have an existing quality process, Boxeo has a bit more to improve regarding the latter.
View attachment 827378

The Zepol, Lopez, Gil - and any of its branches, however, to me, these are the less "known" or less commercialized, but by far the best in fitting, feeling, punching sensation and padding. Their "look" is also very fancy and unique. The tagging of the brand and brand sticker is what I would suggest could still be improved.
View attachment 827375

What mostly have got me into the loving of Made in Mexico local brands, is their uniqueness of producers not making productions of the same colors/ designs, and instead, they just produce as per request of each customer order they receive. I have the feeling, that in future, having any of these handmade pieces of equipment would be valued as collectibles - which some already mean that to me.

I would be happy to keep chatting and knowing more about your boxing suggestions and opinions. If you would like to catch me up for any boxing related subject, you can catch me up at my Instagram profile as @theboxingcollector
Welcome to the forum. I’m a big fan of Mexican gloves too. Quick question for you...what do you think of Classics and would you consider them one of the Zepol branches?

Welcome to the forum. I’m a big fan of Mexican gloves too. Quick question for you...what do you think of Classics and would you consider them one of the Zepol branches?

Thanks @Vols1891 .
I didn't saw these in the gyms or haven't yet tried out the Classics brand. I only remember it from a secondary coach [who taught me very good tips on how to place the right hooks] from one of the main gyms I assisted in Mexico city, he suggested me this brand also as a good one, to be honest, didn't paid much attention at that time. Until now that I've moved out from Mexico City and been reading of it in the Internet.

It's interesting that I've seen several people asking about this brand, which have now got me curious into it. I will look to get in contact with them to get some gloves. Will definitely be posting news about those if I'm able to get some.

Edgar

Classics is made by the son of the Zepol maker

Aureliano Lopez ("Zepol dad") has 2 sons:
1. "Zepol son"
2. Manuel, maker of Classics. Manuel's son is Jordi, who deals with Classics customers on social media.

At one time, Zepol was made by both the father and son, and the "Zepol dad" gloves were understood to be of better quality than "Zepol son."

I'm not sure if Lopez are made by the same person as "Zepol son," or if that's yet another family member.

Gil is the son in law of "Zepol dad"

I also heard Campeon and Casanova are brothers.

Im also curious if Senor Hernandez of HDZ Hernandez Champs is rerlated to Daniel Hernandez of New Sporting. They both were/are allegedly makers of Grant, and their styles are very similar

Last edited:
Edgar, can you post more angles of your gold Lopez gloves? That gold leather is beautiful. Thank you bro

Classics is made by the son of the Zepol maker

Aureliano Lopez ("Zepol dad") has 2 sons:
1. "Zepol son"
2. Manuel, maker of Classics. Manuel's son is Jordi, who deals with Classics customers on social media.

At one time, Zepol was made by both the father and son, and the "Zepol dad" gloves were understood to be of better quality than "Zepol son."

I'm not sure if Lopez are made by the same person as "Zepol son," or if that's yet another family member.

Gil is the son in law of "Zepol dad"

I also heard Campeon and Casanova are brothers. Im curious if Senor Hernandez of HDZ Hernandez Champs is related to Daniel Hernandez of New Sporting. They both were/are allegedly makers of Grant, and their styles are very similar

Nice info you've given me here @destroyer4147 .

What I know from Gil and Lopez, is the direct relation with Zepol is both are daughters of the Zepol owner (father or son). So Gil is "son-in-law", and Lopez is Zepol's daughter with his husband (another's Zepol "son-in-law"). Women, in these case their daughters, is not unusual they also being involved in the business and workshop... so even if the brand GIl or Lopez is under the face of the "son-in-law", women would often also be working at the workshop or managing the orders.

I just dropped your question to my Casanova's contact, will let you know if I get an answer.

Later when I go to my training room, will pick up the gold Lopez and share you some pictures.

Edgar

Edgar, can you post more angles of your gold Lopez gloves? That gold leather is beautiful. Thank you bro

@destroyer4147 Sharing you some more pictures I already had stored here of the Gold Lopez gloves. I guess Lopez brand is yet very unknown outside Mexico, and perhaps even in Mexico. But you may judge by the pictures, and I can judge from my experience, they do some very nice gloves.
These colors design was requested by me, which I loved how they looked. Took these colors combination from the White Power Ranger - Ha.
Only one thing to consider when having Metallic colors in your gloves, the brightness might go off after several time of use and hand sweating.
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.55 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.56 PM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.56 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.57 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-25 at 10.07.55 PM (1).jpeg

Edgar

As I mentioned, Classics is made my Manuel, the son of Aureliano Lopez (the "Zepol dad"), so it's definitely one of the major branches, and the similarity is quite evident. However, there are some major differences:

1. My experience with Zepol is the pair I have that's made by "Zepol dad," not "Zepol son," so I have what's considered the "better quality version." It's one of the most compact and lean gloves I've ever owned (at 16 ounces), yet Classics is even MORE compact and lean than Zepol.

2. Classics uses a padding that is more similar to foam/latex. It's not the "bouncing rubber ball" kind of springy padding that Zepol uses.

3. For a small and compact glove, the opening of the glove at the wrist is HUGE in Zepol. It has been mentioned that you can slide your hand easily into Zepol with all the laces fastened as tightly as possible. That is true for Zepol, but not for Classics. Classics has a more standard size opening.

Last edited:
These are pics of the Classics that I just ordered. They're still en route to me. Classics makes 2 models:

1. Modelo Regular
2. Modelo Especial Mexicombate

I also bought a pair of thumbless bag gloves, known as "guanteletas" in Mexico. Kyokushin people love these for some reason, so I'll be reserving these for the dojo.

The gloves pictured with laces are the Mexicombate, with an embroidered design. The gloves with velcro are the regular model, with the design made with vinyl. Either closure is available with either model. The differences between the models are:

1. Mexicombate has larger and thicker padding on the palm.

2. Mexicombate may possibly have thicker padding at the knuckle, but I requested the same knuckle padding for both versions, which is the padding they use on the regular model.

3. Mexicombate has a thumb attachment as well as welted seams in certain places. The regular model has neither. Mexicombate also uses leather piping, but I requested leather piping on the regular model as well. The regular model typically uses fabric piping.

4. They have different label patches.

5. Mexicombate has double row stitching. The regular model has only single row stitching.
received_4235898753103229~3.jpeg received_409760250298563~3.jpeg received_834254007376468~2.jpeg

I originally asked for a screenprinted design when I submitted the image file for it, but they said insisted that vinyl and embroidery would yield better results than screenprinting, and the image would last longer in vinyl than it would if it were screenprinted. I decided to give both methods a try

Last edited:
Some nice gloves you got there @destroyer4147 . Thanks for the heads up on these brands.

Do you often use them for training? Or mostly as collectibles?

Just looking at your Classics Modelo Regular, do you know what type of leather they are made with? Cow or goat? Leather looks a bit thicker, similar to Boxeo leather/style, which Boxeo is made of goat leather.

Yep, but definitely I will be getting some pairs of Classics.

Edgar

Some nice gloves you got there @destroyer4147 . Thanks for the heads up on these brands.

Do you often use them for training? Or mostly as collectibles?

Just looking at your Classics Modelo Regular, do you know what type of leather they are made with? Cow or goat? Leather looks a bit thicker, similar to Boxeo leather/style, which Boxeo is made of goat leather.

Yep, but definitely I will be getting some pairs of Classics.

Edgar

Thank you, Edgar. I'm not sure what kind of leather, but my guess is cowhide, only because there was no mention of goatskin.

I use them for sparring only, and they're in rotation, so they last longer. I'm considering making the Modelo Regular a dedicated bag gloves when they arrive. I'm still debating about it. The guanteletas are for Kyokushin training/sparring.

I asked for the same aquamarine colored leather to be used on all three: Mexicombate, Regular, and guanteletas, so that they'd match. In those areas where color is the same on all three items, the leather is also the same.

However, the burgundy and white leathers of my older Classics Mexicombate are very, very thick. I have yet another pair of Classics Mexicombate, and the white leather is not as thick. Perhaps have several different quality leathers for the most common colors.

Last edited:
Thanks @destroyer4147 . Might ask this question to Classics.

How are the traditions of boxing gyms there in your countries/ cities? @Kendodsworth @destroyer4147 @Endy @Vols1891 @ericPorkChop
For all of you - like me - that loves boxing and gloves, I believe you would love even more the culture of Mexican coaches and gyms. I'm a corporative employee and practice boxing only as a hobby, which means I used to assist and train with any other common player as me - not much of pro's or underground gyms.
I'd say my coaches in Mexico, is mostly what have got me so much into loving boxing. Like Mexican artisans glove makers are special, coaches also have a very Mexican style "spice". I wish I should've recorded training sessions with the coaches, but unfortunately I only have a few digital content of them.
Probably a different forum and thread to discuss about... :)

Sharing some pictures of my Gil metallic red gloves brand-new a year and half ago, and how they look today. They had an intense use of constant training (pads, bag and sparring) 5 days/week, hands sweating, etc. However, even though the look is definitely not as "new" anymore, you may see how the quality of leather and lates still seems right. And they still feel right.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-30 at 2.25.14 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-30 at 2.25.15 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.49 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.48.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.50.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.51.jpeg

Edgar

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-24 at 16.06.49.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks @destroyer4147 . Might ask this question to Classics.

How are the traditions of boxing gyms there in your countries/ cities? @Kendodsworth @destroyer4147 @Endy @Vols1891 @ericPorkChop
For all of you - like me - that loves boxing and gloves, I believe you would love even more the culture of Mexican coaches and gyms. I'm a corporative employee and practice boxing only as a hobby, which means I used to assist and train with any other common player as me - not much of pro's or underground gyms.
I'd say my coaches in Mexico, is mostly what have got me so much into loving boxing. Like Mexican artisans glove makers are special, coaches also have a very Mexican style "spice". I wish I should've recorded training sessions with the coaches, but unfortunately I only have a few digital content of them.
Probably a different forum and thread to discuss about... :)

Sharing some pictures of my Gil metallic red gloves brand-new a year and half ago, and how they look today. They had an intense use of constant training (pads, bag and sparring) 5 days/week, hands sweating, etc. However, even though the look is definitely not as "new" anymore, you may see how the quality of leather and lates still seems right. And they still feel right.

View attachment 828890
View attachment 828891
View attachment 828897
View attachment 828896 View attachment 828899 View attachment 828900

Edgar
I find it very gratifying to be in top shape and train really hard in a well worn great pair of gloves. They are like a well made pair of cowboy boots. They look a worn and beaten but are more comfortable and perform better than any new pair of gloves. Once I get about 100-150 rounds into my gloves, that’s when my gloves really become enjoyable.

Back