Mexican gloves various brands

I don't have the full review up yet, just the photos but my thoughts still remain the same. That said, I've never tried Grant themselves, and the Fit2Box guy just put up a review also claiming they were very Grant-like. So either the ones they send to people as samples are different than the ones regular folk like me have to buy, or I am just not a fan of Grants. (Someone did mention earlier the cavernous hand compartment and newspaper quality lining was a true description for Grant).
Just aesthetically from the design with that leather pattern and the leather itself, they do look a lot like Grant gloves to me, like HDZChamps and New Sporting

I posted this picture in another thread but wanted to include it here too as these are almost all Mexican made gloves (Cleto Reyes, Grant, Necalli/Casanova, GIL, and New Sporting). The only non-Mexican gloves in the photo are the Flys and the 1v1s.

View attachment 856122

@Vols1891
I love your collection. Those Blue Sky Gil looks nice.
You must really love those Cleto gold colors, I see you have same design just in Velcro and Laces.

Just aesthetically from the design with that leather pattern and the leather itself, they do look a lot like Grant gloves to me, like HDZChamps and New Sporting

Well if they are the same, then no one should buy Grants expecting a "nice" glove in any way. Expect something that feels home made and nothing worth the big bucks like a Winning or even Cletos Reyes.

Maybe I'll do a few more rounds with them to make sure. Currently putting the Gil's through their paces. So far nice Mexican glove that seems to pinch my left thumb just a bit on some punches.

@Vols1891
I love your collection. Those Blue Sky Gil looks nice.
You must really love those Cleto gold colors, I see you have same design just in Velcro and Laces.
I actually sold the lace up pair of gold Cleto Reyes. I do love the shade of gold they use though...I love their silver gloves too.

Well if they are the same, then no one should buy Grants expecting a "nice" glove in any way. Expect something that feels home made and nothing worth the big bucks like a Winning or even Cletos Reyes.

Maybe I'll do a few more rounds with them to make sure. Currently putting the Gil's through their paces. So far nice Mexican glove that seems to pinch my left thumb just a bit on some punches.
Grants really aren’t anything all that special. I think people see the high prices and all the pros wearing them, who are likely receiving them free from Grant, and assume they are going to be on par with Winning or ultra high end gloves. Grant doesn’t even make their own gloves or have their own workshop. They are made by other glove manufacturers in Mexico, who sell basically identical gloves for a fraction of the price. With Grant, you are really just paying that premium for the logo and brand name. I do like their pro fight gloves though; they fit my hands well and have a good mix of power transfer and protection. However, I wouldn’t pay full price for them.

Our own @Edgar Martinez gets a shout out by Fit2box! Around 9m15s. Sweet looking gloves too.

I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to see one of our own to go into the glove business and do well. When he began thinking about selling these gloves he and I had some conversations through Instagram about it. It was very preliminary but I could tell immediately that @Edgar Martinez is thoughtful and deliberate about his business decisions. I could also tell he is a man of integrity. It helps a great deal that he is also a boxer. He knows what we look for in a quality glove. He knows we are always posting about some of the difficulties we have getting these gloves. He knows there is a language barrier. He knows the boutique shops that make these wonderful gloves are more concerned with making a great glove than they are concerned with great customer service. I personally have had hell getting some of these gloves on my hands. But when I do, it is worth it. Look at it this way. I personally love that we now have a conduit that can get the gloves we love to us in a reliable manner. Guys, if you are looking for a great pair of gloves that only get better with use, hand made one pair at a time with old world charm and old world reliability, Mexican gloves are the way to go and our friend Edgar would love to hear from you. I’d simply love if one day Edgar tells us he is quitting his other job to concentrate solely on the glove business and training with these gloves. Of all the gloves I own, my Mexican made gloves are far and away my favorites.

Has anyone used the MIM Zaragoza gloves, if so what they like and compare to other Mexican gloves?
A gym 1hr from where I live stock Zaragoza worldwide and also the made in Mexico gloves so bit curious.

I remember Juan. Back in the day I was able to get a pair of the Casanova gloves. I hope he is doing well.

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-15_21-38-37.jpeg
    upload_2021-7-15_21-38-37.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Quick comparison pics of New Sporting vs Hernandez Champs. Both are 16 oz. Both brands allegedly make/made gloves for Grant. Sorry for the night pics, I'll try to take better pics tomorrow.

IMG_20210719_222056.jpg IMG_20210719_222155.jpg

It appears that Hernandez Champs gloves are slightly longer and a bit larger than New Sporting gloves. In terms of shape, it seems Hernandez Champs gloves are more similar to the way Grant gloves looked in the 2000s to early 2010s. New Sporting gloves are more similar to the way Grant gloves look nowadays.

Careful examination of the gloves reveal differences in construction technique and other nuances that I would like to explore and share sometime later.

Reminder: Buy your Mexican gear from @Edgar Martinez !!!

Last edited:
Back