Movies Movie iconic characters that you wonder if played by another actor.

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For example.

The Matrix character Neo, the first actor they thought of to play that role is Brandon Lee. I think he could've pulled it off, even though Keanu Reeves was amazing.

Another role is LOTR the Aragorn character was originally offered to Daniel Day-Lewis but he declined, ended up to Viggo Mortensen who did fantastic job obviously. Although I wonder how DDL would've interpreted that role.

Russell Crowe could’ve been Wolverine, but he said ‘no, thanks’ and tipped off Hugh Jackman about the gig. Thinking about it, I could see Crowe as Sabretooth in an alternate Marvel Universe, although, Liev Schreiber was so awesome in that role, anyone else would have some big shoes to fill.

I read OJ Simpson was an early choice for the Terminator, but..no bullshit would not have been convincing as a cold blooded killer.

Yeah I heard about this to. Fascinating, good thing they got Arnold. But fucken guy became notorious for what he did to his wife and that dude. I know he wasn't convicted, but who else could have done it?

Russell Crowe could’ve been Wolverine, but he said ‘no, thanks’ and tipped off Hugh Jackman about the gig. Thinking about it, I could see Crowe as Sabretooth in an alternate Marvel Universe, although, Liev Schreiber was so awesome in that role, anyone else would have some big shoes to fill.
Dougray Scott was signed up but injured on the set of Mission Impossible 2.

Hugh Jackman never looked like how I envisioned wolverine
Chris Claremont has gone on record multiple times saying that, when he and Richard Donner talked about it circa 1990, his top pick was Bob Hoskins. Needless to say, Donner had other ideas.

Gladiator is a good movie but it's Crowe's performance that makes Maximus a movie icon. He manages to be both a man capable of extreme violence but also a loving father/husband who feels cursed at his capabilities. That's a tough duality to pull off. I'm not sure it works with anyone else.

Chris Claremont has gone on record multiple times saying that, when he and Richard Donner talked about it circa 1990, his top pick was Bob Hoskins. Needless to say, Donner had other ideas.
I've always thought of Hugh playing Wolverine to be on par with pick Vin Diesel for Hitman because he bald. Jackman has sideburns/ Wolverine has side burns = casting closed.

I am not mentally capable of envisioning Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine. A huge flaw with me is the running gag that Wolverine is short guy and Hugh is 6'3.

I've always thought of Hugh playing Wolverine to be on par with pick Vin Diesel for Hitman because he bald. Jackman has sideburns/ Wolverine has side burns = casting closed.

I am not mentally capable of envisioning Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine. A huge flaw with me is the running gag that Wolverine is short guy and Hugh is 6'3.
Americans know him best as Mr Smee or hanging around with Roger Rabbit. Apparently, he has played a number of gangsters and hard-nosed cops over the years and that's what Claremont had in mind. Angela Bassett was his Storm.

Gladiator is a good movie but it's Crowe's performance that makes Maximus a movie icon. He manages to be both a man capable of extreme violence but also a loving father/husband who feels cursed at his capabilities. That's a tough duality to pull off. I'm not sure it works with anyone else.

“Gladiator” was a very good movie. The portrayal of Maximus embodied the essence of a truly peaceful individual.

His character demonstrated all the traits you highlighted, epitomizing a person who, despite possessing the capacity for intense violence, would rather not have to if given the option.

Tom Selleck was the first choice for Indiana Jones and I think he would've been better than Ford.

Either of the other 2 girls from saved by the bell would've been better in showgirls.

Literally anyone would've been better than Marky Mark in any movie that stars Marky Mark.

For example.

The Matrix character Neo, the first actor they thought of to play that role is Brandon Lee. I think he could've pulled it off, even though Keanu Reeves was amazing.

Another role is LOTR the Aragorn character was originally offered to Daniel Day-Lewis but he declined, ended up to Viggo Mortensen who did fantastic job obviously. Although I wonder how DDL would've interpreted that role.
Dougray Scott was supposed to be Wolverine and Aragorn.

Tom Cruise would've been a great Wolverine.

Back