Movies Movie iconic characters that you wonder if played by another actor.

Jesus, all this Wolverine talk.

I’m going to say I would have liked to see Tom Cruise as Doc Holiday in Tombstone.

Just kidding.

I don't know if people knew this but DDL was also the first pick for I believe for Louis or Lestat in Interview With the Vampire.

Would've been interesting to see how DDL would have prepared for that role. lol

Thank you for this. It's funny though Keanu and Brandon look like brothers. Very uncanny resemblance.

That's probably why they picked Keanu for the role after Brandon Lee past.
I have never thought of Reeves as significant. His role in movies seems to be to play the same character, as that South Park episode pointed out. He always came across as a template. In contrast Will Smith and Tom Cruise bring their own flair to movies. I never see Keanu bringing any kind of self reflecting prescience other than stoic lead character. He benefits in that respect since he doesn't smother the movie. If the Matrix or Jon Wick featured Cruise or Smith they would fall into a category of another one of those movies. Reeves always seem like the guy you bring in when you don't want the MC to distract from the plot. When Cruise or Smith feature in movies they tend to be the draw. When Reeves is in a movie he's just sort of there.

The worst part of The Matrix (1999) was Carrie Ann Moss as Trinity. Never considered her attractive whatsoever.

So when I ask myself who was a great starlet in the late 90s that could have been available, my #1 choice was Milla Jovovich.

She was a big pick after the success of 5th Element, so perhaps she wasn't available.

R.c9414fcf5ddd05e3f2dabcce82a0b5f4

R.7507f02306e29511d1976174b3e0c72a
Yeah that’s an immediate upgrade. Mila, aside from being much more attractive, had a much better cyberpunk look which would have fit way better.

in direct response to the thread, Reeves would never have been able to pull off Tom Cruise' role in the Last Samurai. Put him in Mission Impossible and it is just ''inherent spy movie''

View attachment 1035906
Apparently Sly was supposed to be the Beverly Hills cop but he thought the role called for much more violence, he was replaced with Eddie Murphy and that turned out halfway decent for all those involved
Sly would end up making his ultra violent cop movie when he was in cobra , it didn’t flop but it was not even in the same dimension as bhc.

Speaking of Eddie Murphy , legend has it if he didn’t land the role of Alex Foley he would have been
View attachment 1035907
The 4th ghost buster , seems awesome, but between him and Bill Murray there might not have been enough screen to go around, and both are known to ad lib some of their best shit , the might not have been able to co exist

Eddie Murphy is also a Star Trek fan and was very close to landing a role in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Nimoy, who at the time was at the zenith of his influence on Star Trek vision and production, rejected the notion. When very popular actors become attached to a movie, they have a tendency to turn the project into a personal vehicle, even though Murphy may not have had those intentions. Regardless, Nimoy (like Roddenberry) was not the type to share influence, for better or worse.

I read OJ Simpson was an early choice for the Terminator, but..no bullshit would not have been convincing as a cold blooded killer.

But without Arnold's accent, you lose the scary, cyborg Nazi killer theme. That added a lot to the movie.

Matt Berry as James Bond.
Matt Berry and Gene Barry.

bat.jpeg

Although I think quite an early version which was Aykroyd, Belushi and Murphy, I don't think he was ever intended to play the Winston role as written. My guess would be if they had done a version with him it he might actually have replaced Murray.

I thought that Ernie Hudson's Winston made the movie more relatable. Blue collar guy, after a stint in the military, looking for a job (with a level of associated risk to keep him invested) in the big city.

I thought that Ernie Hudson's Winston made the movie more relatable. Blue collar guy, after a stint in the military, looking for a job (with a level of associated risk to keep him invested) in the big city.
Again I don't think Murphy was ever intended to play that role. Who knows exactly what Ghostbusters was at the point it was offered to him as it started out even crazier with the characters being from the future and traveling though time to fight ghosts.

Just in terms of how the film would work though I think its easiest to see Murphy playing the same kind of role Murray does in the final film.

Last edited:
Again I don't think Murphy was ever intended to play that role. Who knows exactly what Ghostbusters was at the point it was offered to him as it started out even crazier with the characters being from the future and traveling though time to fight ghosts.

Just in terms of how the film would work though I think its easiest to see Murphy playing the same kind of role Murray does in the final film.
And it likely would have turned out successful, even if altered here and there to further suit Murphy's strengths. I mean to say, the creative juices were flowing in 1984. The quality of writing, directing, casting, acting, cinematography, art direction, sets, props, music, were all striving to reach a higher level, simultaneously. Although perhaps splintered remnants now, it is my contention that the final version of Ghostbusters is proof that a form of renaissance had occurred among the mainstream arts, building up to that specific time of production.

And it likely would have turned out successful, even if altered here and there to further suit Murphy's strengths. I mean to say, the creative juices were flowing in 1984. The quality of writing, directing, casting, acting, cinematography, art direction, sets, props, music, were all striving to reach a higher level, simultaneously. Although perhaps splintered remnants now, it is my contention that the final version of Ghostbusters is proof that a form of renaissance had occurred among the mainstream arts, building up to that specific time of production
I think Ghostbusters is actually a really good argument for pointing out how much power creative people still had at that point. I think people get sniffy at the rise of the entertainment blockbuster post Starwars but in terms of the creative side still having control I think that persisted for quite a few years.

Sherdog seems to love the 90's blockbuster scene but for me thats really were creative talent started to decline, I feel like Holltywood finally found "the formula" it had struggled with since back in the mid 60's, big CGI fests and smaltzy self important americana drama could be very popular without really being that inspired and the result was execs regained a lot of power.

Last edited:
Christopher Walken as the Joker. But he had some other role in the early Batman films I think.

Thank you for this. It's funny though Keanu and Brandon look like brothers. Very uncanny resemblance.

That's probably why they picked Keanu for the role after Brandon Lee past.

But i think to remember at some point they offered it to Will Smith before Keanu, so it's like they gave up and then after WS rejection returned to the original vision

in direct response to the thread, Reeves would never have been able to pull off Tom Cruise' role in the Last Samurai. Put him in Mission Impossible and it is just ''inherent spy movie''

Keanu on Last Samurai would have got also much weaker visual impact as he have bit vague asian look himself, while Tom Cruise's clear"white guy" look was very much needed to make him look absolutely out of place there in Japan

Whole gimmick of the char was that contrast and it to be still evident even when he fully embraced samurai culture

But i think to remember at some point they offered it to Will Smith before Keanu, so it's like they gave up and then after WS rejection returned to the original vision

Oh I see, very interesting. It all turned out ok in the end. Although Brandon Lee would've been perfect. He had all the physical skills and acting ability to be a perfect Neo.

I don't know if people knew this but DDL was also the first pick for I believe for Louis or Lestat in Interview With the Vampire.

Would've been interesting to see how DDL would have prepared for that role. lol

I can see young DDL play a great Louis

But i pick Cruise to be better Lestat 10 times out 10, even if Cruise himself was'nt perfect for the role

Young Viggo Mortersen (let's say The Prophecy days) as Lestat would have murdered Cruise

Keanu on Last Samurai would have got also much weaker visual impact as he have bit vague asian look himself, while Tom Cruise's clear"white guy" look was very much needed to make him look absolutely out of place there in Japan

Whole gimmick of the char was that contrast and it to be still evident even when he fully embraced samurai culture
I always forget he's part asian

idk who else then, Will Smith, whiich makes me think of Smith being a good fit for Yasuke.

Back