NCAA Wrestling

Could be. I don't think Gwizz was ever really competitive with either of them So if Gable is TFing him, he could be right there. I think by now we can put to rest the notion that our system is inferior bc we wrestle folkstyle in school. Steveson, Fix, Arujau, Spencer, Hall, etc etc etc have shown that if you choose to wrestle freestyle you will be just fine internationally. And the NCAA wrestling Just serves to make you tougher and have better gas.

I think individual talent is important and that's a factor at play, but I find it hard to imagine that those same talented Americans (Burroughs, Synder, etc.) wouldn't be even better if they spent the years they were developing physically soley on Freestyle vs. splitting between the two. It's like the 10,000 hours to mastery thing being reached at a much younger age. Look at MMA now or even simply no-gi sub grappling. Over enough time, they become so specialized. A day spent training in the gi is a day not spent training no-gi. Same with freestyle/folkstyle. So in summary, in spite of recent American success, I'd imagine the US would be even better with just freestyle.

Well that was bittersweet AF

happy for Dake and can’t wait to see watch in Tokyo, but it’s kinda sad to see Jordan’s reign come an end.

Dake’s a beast.

Would you attribute the match to Burroughs declining or Dake just getting that much better?

Would you attribute the match to Burroughs declining or Dake just getting that much better?

We'll get a better idea of that after Dake wrestles Sidakov and hopefully Chamizo again.....

JB lost recently to Chamizo and it's clear he lost a step....

But what Dake did to Nolf..... my God

We'll get a better idea of that after Dake wrestles Sidakov and hopefully Chamizo again.....

JB lost recently to Chamizo and it's clear he lost a step....

But what Dake did to Nolf..... my God
Yeah what Dake did to Nolf was unreal. Dake was just on a different tier.

His positioning the last couple of years have on point. His hand defense is tough to get through and his chest wrap is strong. I think he’ll medal for sure. Just wondering how high he’ll place.

Yeah what Dake did to Nolf was unreal. Dake was just on a different tier.

His positioning the last couple of years have on point. His hand defense is tough to get through and his chest wrap is strong. I think he’ll medal for sure. Just wondering how high he’ll place.
Besides Sidakov, who else you think could get him?

I'd imagine the US would be even better with just freestyle.
Well, I think so too. I posted the very same. BUT, I think Nowadays USAW has a very strong age-group system in place. There are more than enough opportunities to wrestle freestyle at the highest levels. And I think there is enough to gain from an NCAA career that it's not necessarily a net loss in terms of development and preperation for the world scene. The cardio and toughness you gain from an NCAA career is enough a positive to offset most (not all) of the negative that comes from time spent not focusing on freestyle.

Look at the guys from the guys from the 90s who won a ton of international medals and our developmental freestyle program was nothing compared to what we have now.

Both. Definitely both. And it's not just Dake's skill that has gotten so incredible, it's his S&C, health, focus, gameplanning, etc.

Honestly I think maybe, even if it's hard to admit this to himself, Jordan can walk away with what he's accomplished and be content. His legend has already been written and it's one for the ages. The crazy win streak out of college, the winning 2013 one month after major surgery, the Olympic gold, redemption in 2015, redemption in 2017, etc. He has financial stability, a family, a career, it's not easy to maintain the focus drive and motivation needed to continue to grind his way to world titles with all that considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back