NEVER give a dime to De La Riva ever again

I don't think so. I guess we differ on that.

With a lot of the high profile people in BJJ I also feel they would get some of the student to cripple De la riva instead of bringing it up in a interview. Convincing some social project favela kid to maim some old fart in return for a full AOJ/Atos etc. scholarship doesn't seem that hard.

Not surprising at all.
I know lot of instructors that sleeps with their female students.

Sometimes they end up marrying them.

It is wrong as they use their power of instructor over students.

Lot of us would be in denial but just look around.

You always know that one instructor that would chat up that new white belt female students.

You always know that one instructor that met his wife trought bjj.
Well guess what he was the instructor and she was just a white belt.
Then she stopped training but he still doing the same shit at the club.

Last edited:
what about coaches who end up dating the moms of kids who are in kids classes?

They get a pay rise???

I don't really know if you think it is funny.

I know a martial club where instructor talk openly about the sexuality of the students.

They openly discussed
who slept with the new female members.

Married students were lying about their marriage status and trying their luck as well.

If no one could sleep with the new female student, she would be branded as a lesbian.

It is a mess.

remember mattress girl? even when it was proven she lied she still carries a mattress around lol
Mattress girl was completely fucked in the head and the guy knew it.
If you want to fuck batshit insane people you should be ready for serious problems.
Also while asked him to fuck her in the ass hundreds of time not sure if he should've have lubed her up instead of doing it by surprise.

Rape accusations are a consumer response to shortages in the rape market.

This one really hits home. I train at a DLR school and my instructor got his BB directly from DLR.

Met DLR twice and seemed like a very nice and soft spoken guy but these are serious accusations.

Personally I take an innocent until proven guilty look at these things.

Every situation is different. We naturally factor in a lot of stuff when we are forming an opinion on someone from such accounts.

What I can't shake is the feeling that if this was instead a male competitor that trained under De La Riva telling the same type of story, the reaction would be far different. What if this interview was instead a famous and connected male competitor talking about De La Riva, and the events recounted were what happened to his daughter when she visited the academy to train?

After this many years, such a question is rhetorical. I already know the answer. And it makes me sad.

But there's been some positive change in the years so maybe there is more positive change to come.

I don't think the situations are analogous.

In the case of Ralph Gracie being a criminal who assaults people, if BJ had said Ralph was a rapist that would've been less believable. It's a small jump for a guy who trains MMA for a living to go around beating up people. We all know people like that, especially if we trained jiujitsu back then. Rapist is different. Big claims and big evidence.

On the second analogy, the analogy isn't parallel either. Claudia Doval isn't famous or well known, even though she may be a world champion. The parallel analogy isn't a famous male grappler's daughter , it's some lesser known purple belt champions daughter.

I think your point about the knowing person making the accusation mattering is certainly true. Michelle Niciolini, Mackenzie Dern, Gabi or somebody like that making this type of accusation would be bigger. Until then it's somebody I never heard of saying something about somebody I know nothing about (except professionally, barely) and have no investment in. If that kind of thing moved a needle every time it's happened, you wouldn't have time for ending else in your life. I don't need this to believe in the importance of investigating sexual assault.

On the second analogy, the analogy isn't parallel either. Claudia Doval isn't famous or well known, even though she may be a world champion. The parallel analogy isn't a famous male grappler's daughter , it's some lesser known purple belt champions daughter.

She won the Worlds at black belt last three years in a row. She was ranked #1 in the IBJJF. I absolutely knew who she was.

I don't think there is necessarily something wrong with an instructor marrying a student. When I heard the story of Eddie Ricardo and Monique Ricardo, his now-wife, it sounded very sweet to me. And I mean, they are happily married and have children. Its one thing if you are an adult instructor taking advantage of a teenager or someone who views you as a father figure or something like that. But two adults who become close through a teacher-student relationship and eventually end up together, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with that.

A situation like that seems worlds apart from what has allegedly happened with De La Riva.

Its different if you're talking about college professors or something like that, IMO. In that case, you're compromising the integrity of your position. But, a grappling or BJJ instructor, that's presumably a customer-seller relationship in most cases involving a private business and I just think there is a little more wiggle room there, in the instance of two adults.

She won the Worlds at black belt last three years in a row. She was ranked #1 in the IBJJF. I absolutely knew who she was.

Sure you know, but I didn't and I bet many many others are the same. BJJ is not like tennis where female stars are as well known as male stars. It's closer to the NBA/WNBA.

Continuing along those lines, I think a hypothetical accusation by Sharapova would get the same press and belief as a hypothetical accusation by Federer about a mythical daughter. Maybe you don't and that's fair. But that's the parallel analogy not BJ or Claudia.

It would just be plastered all over FloGrappling without editing as a firsthand account. And we would just update our perceptions accordingly.

FloGrappling actually has an article up where the quote her description of situation.
They post his response but it looks so fake it actually makes him look more guilty.

Please stop going to his seminars and paying for training at his gym when travelling.

- Claudia Doval describing how she was molested when training at his gym.

Do I have to stop using his guard too?

Do you belive

I believe her story because it's not something you would want to invent.
If she is not doing a false accusation on purpose the only other option is that she is completely crazy but nobody is pointing that out yet.
I didn't believe the Brett Kavanaugh accusations without real proof because the seemed exactly like something you would invent by someone that it made sense for to make a false accusation.

I wouldn't say all BJJ girls are innocent, lots of stories of these women sleeping multiple men in the bjj community. I'll wait to some legit evidence before my final judgement.

I wouldn't say all BJJ girls are innocent, lots of stories of these women sleeping multiple men in the bjj community. I'll wait to some legit evidence before my final judgement.
Even if a girl was sleeping with multiple men (and again I'm not saying Claudia was/wasn't), it doesn't make it right for a coach twice the students age to take advantage of her after a breakup. According to her version of events, she was frozen and repeatedly told him no after the event and he kept on pursuing her. It may not be rape but its still an abuse of power/harassment.

Last edited:
Even if a girl was sleeping with multiple women (and again I'm not saying Claudia was/wasn't), it doesn't make it right for a coach twice the students age to take advantage of her after a breakup. According to her version of events, she was frozen and repeatedly told him no after the event and he kept on pursuing her. It may not be rape but its still an abuse of power/harassment.

True, as a coach myself he should've conduct himself appropriately.

Listen i don’t have to believe her . I don’t care how convincing she sounds . IF other women come forward with this or she has proof then maybe I’ll change mind. I’m not believing her just cause she’s a woman . If dude has rep like that , again maybe I’ll consider it . But to believe her cause “ female “ is asinine imo. Dude is entitled to defend himself . Hey Fellow sherdogger I was raped by your mother! Prove I wasn’t . See how difficult these cases are ?!
triggered much? no one said to believe her because she's a woman. but she has freedom of speech and has a right to talk about things that she believed happened to her. if this is actually what happened, it is great she chose to talk about it so the next woman doesn't fall victim. no one is saying DLR shouldn't respond - in fact, he already has.

your post just seems like you hate women/think all women are liars lol

FloGrappling actually has an article up where the quote her description of situation.
They post his response but it looks so fake it actually makes him look more guilty.
Weird, it says you are quoting me, but this is nothing I posted.

I don't think it's a slippery slope here though. This is just how we normally act when hearing credible negative anecdotes about people in the BJJ community. The only difference is when it's a woman saying it, for some reason (at least from what I have seen in the past), we try to ignore it.

The criminal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt is a high bar to clear. But for putting a man in a cage for potentially the rest of his life, that's the right bar to set. However, we aren't talking about putting De La Riva in prison for this. We are talking about adjusting our view of him accordingly. That is a different bar.

I've (unfortunately) seen by now several criminal cases in these situations resolve themselves. The last one I saw up close ended in a conviction. The evidence that it took to convict was three women coming forward about their rapes. There was a ton of digital evidence (resulted in 1000+ felony counts being filed) including actual videos of the rapes in progress. From the timestamps of the digital evidence + the ages of the parties involved, consent was not even litigated. It was statutory rape in all cases.

This guy was so screwed up, he even raped a dog. They found that in the digital evidence too. I can't make this up. They threw on a cruelty to animals type of charge due to that and convicted him on it too.

That is what it took to overcome the beyond a reasonable doubt bar. But again, when talking about criminal convictions and prison time specifically, that is the bar we have.

Adjusting our opinion of De La Riva after this account is a much lower bar. At least it normally is when it's something one man says about another man.

I remember when BJ left Ralph. He described in detail incidents that were criminal assault and battery. I recall people largely considering them credible based on BJ's account. The stories were largely he said/he said stories, but they were then factored in to Ralph's reputation.

What people did not do is demand BJ convict Ralph in a criminal court of law on the assault charges, etc. They held a different bar. And over the years, Ralph's reputation began to reflect these accounts. Especially after he assaulted Bobby Southworth at a tournament. Most especially after he assaulted Flavio Almeida at yet another.

None of us is putting De La Riva in prison for this. Some of us though may adjust our opinions accordingly. And it's a profound negative adjustment.

Personally my view of him is tainted by this. Maybe that will change in the future, but this was a pretty damning account so my view is negative right now. That's not just me believing Claudia purely because she is a woman. That is just me believing the credible, detailed, firsthand account of a well known BJJ competitor. Man or woman I would likely do the same.

We seem to have no issue with the he said/he said stuff in this community. I think anyone being honest with themselves who has been around BJJ for any length of time at all holds a lot of opinions on different figures primarily off he said/he said anecdotes.

Somehow the reaction seems different when it's he said/she said though. As I posted above, the only silver lining I can find is that I feel we've improved a lot on this over time.
Hear wat you’re saying but ironically bringing up BJ of all people? Really ? The dude who got accused himself of being a multiple time scumbag with women himself ? Please . So yeah we agree that the bar is higher for criminal cases and lower for court of public opinion .
triggered much? no one said to believe her because she's a woman. but she has freedom of speech and has a right to talk about things that she believed happened to her. if this is actually what happened, it is great she chose to talk about it so the next woman doesn't fall victim. no one is saying DLR shouldn't respond - in fact, he already has.

your post just seems like you hate women/think all women are liars lol
Nah fuck all that. Was just expressing the sentiment that dudes guilty in everybody’s mind already . Cause she said it convincingly . Proved my point . And don’t use that word “ triggered “ bro . You’re better than that. Do you say “ meta game “ for Bjj too , BRO? And I don’t hate all women .Thats your projection. Just stating how people auto believe a hot chick . And my point was proven . Of course I feel bad if she was raped . But nobody knows that but him and her and as good as people make her rep to be , he too has had good rep in Bjj world as far as I know .Now if I’m wrong bout his rep ,land he’s a known scumbag I’ll gladly admit it . But I’ve never heard of such a thing with De La Riva and the Bjj world small .

Back