New Winning FG-5000 vs FG-2900 (new versions vs old versions)

Instead of paying for their marketing you're paying for the fact they're made in Japan then.

Both Grant and Winning are obviously taking much bigger profit margins from the sale of their goods than companies like Title and Ringside and for my boxing budget are just overpriced. For example I don't believe $75 for a leather Winning jump rope is good value for money, even if it is made in Japan. In the UK it costs all in all about $1200 to be a professional boxer, most aren't going to be able to afford either brand.

The fact a lot of pro fighters with limitless cash choose Grant over Winning, and quite a few also choose to train in Cletos and other brands means they're always going to be compared to each other.

For me, winning gloves are too bulky and too mushy for my lliking, even the FG5000 is kind of bulky; I am still waiting for pics of the Grant facebar from Elliot, but I am thinking it will be similar to the Cleto Reyes traditional.

30 dollars shipping would be fine. However since the parcel would weight appx. 3 pounds and should be fully insured and trackable the price seems quite lower than the USPS rates.
Anyway, as for the "orthopedic" gloves. The "orthopedic" foam affects mainly the fit, not the protection. And I feel bad about the pricing because I prefer paying for what I am buying over sponsoring company's marketing expenses. A pair of gloves made in Mexico which cost more than Winning gloves should rather be a miracle, because the expenses to make them are not even 1/3 of what they are in Japan. I just wonder if the Grant gloves price was 100 bucks, would anybody ever compare them with Winning?

By the way, if you are digging hard you can sometimes get a pair of 14-16 oz. discounted Winning from Japan for 200 dollars plus shipping, but that's another story...

Grant gloves are made to order now and of the highest quality, higher than any other Mexican brand; how do you know what grant is paying to have them made? If they were paying their guys peanuts I don't think their quality would be as high as it is.

Instead of paying for their marketing you're paying for the fact they're made in Japan then.

Both Grant and Winning are obviously taking much bigger profit margins from the sale of their goods than companies like Title and Ringside and for my boxing budget are just overpriced. For example I don't believe $75 for a leather Winning jump rope is good value for money, even if it is made in Japan. In the UK it costs all in all about $1200 to be a professional boxer, most aren't going to be able to afford either brand.

The fact a lot of pro fighters with limitless cash choose Grant over Winning, and quite a few also choose to train in Cletos and other brands means they're always going to be compared to each other.

"Made in Japan" has become through the years a synonym for quality and precision. Just one exemple. Put a Grant or Reyes glove on a balance scale - if it is 16 oz. it never weights 16 oz., it is almost always about 1 oz lighter or heavier. Do you call it "precision"? Not important? Maybe. But since you are paying premium cash for so called premium quality you have to pose a question what the premium quality actually is.
No doubt Grant and Reyes are very well made gloves and the leather is excellent. The leather of Winning is very different and I like it more, but that's just a matter of taste. But the padding... You can pay Grant 500 dollars for their gloves, but you'll still are going to get (in terms of protection) nothing better than a latex padded pair of gloves. Which has much lower amortization and lower durability. In general the same you are going to get with some other Mexican or non-Mexican brand - some level of craftmanship, some quality of leather and latex. Nothing more.
Talking about rope and bag you should take into consideration they are mainly made for the JPN market. I agree they are not an exemple of value for money. On the other hand for a JPN customer they are still way more value for money than buying Reyes gloves on rakuten for 220 dollars. 75 dollars for a rope is very much for me, but not very much for most of the JPN.
Many professional boxers use many other brands, Top Ten for exemple. So all of them can be compared and compared... But when you are comparing anything it should be methodical. Talking about the leather a term "highest quality" means nothing, because many brands use very good leather. Talking about padding a term "as good" must be used with specification what padding a particular brand is actually using. For exemple latex is pretty negatively affected by water/sweat. Winning padding isn't. You can make latex more or less dense - depends on what are you making the gloves for sparring or bag. But once you are going to use sparring gloves extensively on a bag you destroy them as sparring gloves (or maybe even your hands), they are going to become dense. And you simply cannot use classic dense latex bag gloves for sparring - neither new, nor used. On the other hand with Winning you can use them for everything and the padding is still the same. But these are just simple facts, nothing more.
In general I agree with BigCP - somebody might like Grant gloves more - the shape is different and the fit is different. And they are still protective and very well made. Somebody can easily prefer them. But talking purely about protection and durability of this protection, I strongly believe there is absolutely no legit argument to compare Grant or Reyes with Winning.

Last edited:
"Made in Japan" has become through the years a synonym for quality and precision.
the only top quality brand from Japan is Winning. Hecho En Mexico actually means something and Mexican equipment has always had a great reputation. If it wasn't for Winning nobody would care at all about Japanese equipment.

The cost of living there isn't much higher than it is for where I am in the UK having been to Tokyo and now commuting to London every day. $75 for jump rope isn't justified for whatever market it's aimed at and neither are the prices for the majority of their line, and again who cares that it's made in Japan? $188 for a 1kg medicine ball is absolutely ridiculous even if it was made by an oriental fella instead of a latino. After a certain point I have to think with those kind of prices that you are paying for the brand name, just like with Everlast, Lonsdale, Grant etc.

Well I know Grants fight gloves are always on the money, while others (including winning) are always slightly off. So I am sure their custom training gloves are the same; Mexican gloves are known for having a well protected wrist, because of that the gloves have more weight in the cuff than oither gloves that focus in having a baloon fist.

Also everything everything made in Japan is over priced, including Sony... Their low end LED TV costs more than my mid-range Panasonic plasma that is assembled in Mexico, that also blows the Sony away.

Japan just = overpriced, honestly if everyone needed the protection of Winning, than their construction and materials would be standard in all boxing brands, yet only a few companies have tried to make copies of their gloves; but many companies have tried making copies of cleto reyes.

Last edited:
Well I know Grants fight gloves are always on the money, while others (including winning) are always slightly off. So I am sure their custom training gloves are the same; Mexican gloves are known for having a well protected wrist, because of that the gloves have more weight in the cuff than oither gloves that focus in having a baloon fist.

Also everything everything made in Japan is over priced, including Sony... Their low end LED TV costs more than my mid-range Panasonic plasma that is assembled in Mexico, that also blows the Sony away.

Japan just = overpriced, honestly if everyone needed the protection of Winning, than their construction and materials would be standard in all boxing brands, yet only a few companies have tried to make copies of their gloves; but many companies have tried making copies of cleto reyes.

so does that mean the Winning headgears isnt that much better than other ones? the more i read on this forum, the more confused i get lol

so does that mean the Winning headgears isnt that much better than other ones? the more i read on this forum, the more confused i get lol

Well my friend said that the FG2900 wasn't much better than her old Cleto Reyes headgear, she still gets headaches and is currently taking a break from sparring; for refference she is a 3x national champ. All the other guys in my gym use the old school everlast headgear, from back when everlast was good. So from what I have heard from someone I know in person, I am not willing to drop that much on non-personalized gear. I know Grant is reliable gear, other heavyweights have used it for sparring in the past, and for the same price as a Winning set, I get a fully customized Grant set.

Now if I found I didn't get enough protection from typical boxing geat, then I might consider getting Winning gear.

It depends. Most of the pros I know own either Winning gloves and/or headgear.

There's some who don't, and still have older pieces of gear to get by. You've got to understand that boxing is a workmans sport and some guys couldn't care less what gear they have because it's only going to get worn out in training anyway.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between the quality of Winning and other brands. If there wasn't, I'd see no reason to buy it. I don't buy gear for it's custom colours etc, I only want gear that does the best job for what I need it for, and that's to allow me to safely train as hard and as long as possible.

I don't choose form over function. If I did, I'd go with another brand.

Just my .02

to be clear I'm not saying that Winning aren't the best, just they can be a bit pricey just like Grant are. Which we all know anyway

Actually in my opinion you cannot copy Winning gloves. Unless you are going to use the same padding. If the overall shape of gloves isn't bad the padding is what determines the gloves the most. Not the protection only, but the shape of the gloves, wrist support and of course the fit. This is why you can more or less easily copy Reyes, but not Winning. Take some cowhide, some latex, do the same shape as Reyes, fill them with latex foam and you'll get more or less classic Mexican style gloves. Reyes gloves are so much copied not only because many people prefer Mexican style gloves, but because you can copy them quite successfully. On the other hand you cannot do the same with Winning. At least nobody has done yet. Unless you have the same padding as Winning the gloves will never fit anywhere near the Winning fit and will not protect as Winning.
But agree, I would appreciate Winning being somewhat cheaper... But imho they still worth buying if you can afford them.

Actually in my opinion you cannot copy Winning gloves. Unless you are going to use the same padding. If the overall shape of gloves isn't bad the padding is what determines the gloves the most. Not the protection only, but the shape of the gloves, wrist support and of course the fit. This is why you can more or less easily copy Reyes, but not Winning. Take some cowhide, some latex, do the same shape as Reyes, fill them with latex foam and you'll get more or less classic Mexican style gloves. Reyes gloves are so much copied not only because many people prefer Mexican style gloves, but because you can copy them quite successfully. On the other hand you cannot do the same with Winning. At least nobody has done yet. Unless you have the same padding as Winning the gloves will never fit anywhere near the Winning fit and will not protect as Winning.
But agree, I would appreciate Winning being somewhat cheaper... But imho they still worth buying if you can afford them.

Has anyone tried copying them yet? I bet they keep their formula under lock and key.

After a sparring session today with two season fighters, I had a realization... It is all great if you have all the Winning gear, but what if your sparring partners don't? You are hitting them with pillows, and you are getting hit with bricks. Case and point, one of the guys I was sparring with had old school everlast gloves, that hurt, luckily I have my Cleto Reyes facebar, but he was trying to knock me out; which is why I prefer gloves where you can put someone back on their heels.

The closer you can get to putting 100% behind your punches safely in sparring the better really. That's why you need gloves that protect both you and your partner. Otherwise we'd all spar with 8or10oz competition gloves. I don't see how being marginally handicapped for power in sparring is going to be a bad thing either unless you want to "win" that session, which isn't really what it's about.

The closer you can get to putting 100% behind your punches safely in sparring the better really. That's why you need gloves that protect both you and your partner. Otherwise we'd all spar with 8or10oz competition gloves. I don't see how being marginally handicapped for power in sparring is going to be a bad thing either unless you want to "win" that session, which isn't really what it's about.

Ya that is great if you are both wearing Winning, which is probly why my friend still gets headaches, I don't think any of her sparring partners have Winning.

I'm no expert, but the people at my place use crap equipment sometimes so that's why I use the Winning headgear and it works well.

People have told me not only does it protect your opponent, but you hands as well? Dunno how the hand protection thing works in a glove though.

I'm no expert, but the people at my place use crap equipment sometimes so that's why I use the Winning headgear and it works well.

People have told me not only does it protect your opponent, but you hands as well? Dunno how the hand protection thing works in a glove though.

It is all about the padding of the headgear/gloves - the amortization it provides. If both (your partner gloves and your headgear) have Winning foam the protection for your head is the highest you can obtain. However if the sparring partner uses old 16 oz. Hayabusa it's way tougher for your head...
Imho anybody who doesn't own Winning gloves and takes care of his/her sparring partner health should put some money together and buy Top Ten gloves. They pretty suck on bag, but are excellent for sparring and are quite durable if used purely for sparring. It's the HEAD in the end.

All I'll say on this thread is what I was told by my first trainer around 15 years ago: if you're going to cheap out on one thing, just make sure it's not your headgear.

...Imho anybody who doesn't own Winning gloves and takes care of his/her sparring partner health...

You heard it here first, folks: If you do not own Winning gloves, you are reckless and irresponsible.

Back