Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

Just compare the reviews between Doom 3 and Doom 2016. I think the general consensus is that Doom 3 is the better game.

Doom 3
Metacritic scores - 83/100 based on 83 reviews. 76/100 user score.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/doom-3

Doom 2016
Metacritic - 87/100 based on 25 reviews. 84/100 user score.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/doom

@TheWorm is right on this one, especially about the other games released around each 'Doom' release. Gamers were starved for something new, or rather, old-school 90s action & attitude in a modern engine and mechanics.

Doom 2016 was what we were begging for.

Doom 3, on the other hand, was great, but it was quickly forgotten amongst the swarm of other high-quality titles released around that same time.

Just compare the reviews between Doom 3 and Doom 2016. I think the general consensus is that Doom 3 is the better game.

Doom 1 and 2 are a bit too old to be the measuring stick of what a Doom game should be like today.

Doom 2016 has much better user reviews.

Did someone say Doom 3 > Doom 2016.

Thats it, im logging off.

Doom 2016 was a huge disappointment for me.

Was a big fan of Doom 3 so I was really pumped when they first announced they were making a follow-up after all those years.

Then it came out and it felt like I was playing a Halo game. Played for 2 hours before I had enough and ditched it.

They completely ruined everything that made Doom 3 great. Removed all the horror, atmosphere and turned it into your typical fast paced sci-fi shooter.

If they are taking the same direction with Doom 5, then I have 0 interest in it.

Your disappointment in Doom 2016 was everybody else’s disappointment with Doom 3. Doom and Doom II were all about unparalleled action. All the demonic imagery and shit were just window dressing. The series is not meant to be horror genre.

It bucked the trend of regenerating health, cover, reloading, all the staples of modern FPS games. It wasn't revolutionary but it was a breath of fresh air.

I think you could take away the Doom from Doom 3 and call it something completely different and no one would have noticed. There was nothing that truly tied it to the spirit of the franchise. DOOM got back to what made Doom, Doom. Non-stop action, brutal, gory, and completely over the top.

Doom 3
Metacritic scores - 83/100 based on 83 reviews. 76/100 user score.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/doom-3

Doom 2016
Metacritic - 87/100 based on 25 reviews. 84/100 user score.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/doom

@TheWorm is right on this one, especially about the other games released around each 'Doom' release. Gamers were starved for something new, or rather, old-school 90s action & attitude in a modern engine and mechanics.

Doom 2016 was what we were begging for.

Doom 3, on the other hand, was great, but it was quickly forgotten amongst the swarm of other high-quality titles released around that same time.

Did someone say Doom 3 > Doom 2016.

Thats it, im logging off.

We’ve been over this round and round before. I’ll give my thoughts on it again.

When doom 3 came out it was Epic, it had new tech that hadn’t been used before and the new rag doll physics were the talk of many.

The lead up and excitement the game generated were great. As you can see it did score highly.

This was our initial response.

Playing it was great, but there was something missing. We enjoyed it but it was a different game and had a different feel. It really might have stood up over time better, it If was not called “Doom”.

We have another game now, that is universally loved Dead Space, and it’s stood up over time. The two games in play are very similar.

Doom 3 , really didn’t give us a “Doom Experience “ per say. Great game at the time, but after a while we realized it wasn’t doom.

At the announcement of eternal, I decided to play all the way through every doom game I own again in Ultraviolence, for the lead up to it.

And started at Doom 1, when i finished 2 I started on 3, excited as I haven’t played the game in forever.

I didn’t make it very far, and I thought maybe I was getting doom burn out.

I took a couple of days off, and started it again. I soon turned it off again and put 1 back in, OK this is Doom

Then Put in 2016, same thing yep this is Doom.

Put in dead space, ok this is Doom 3. And that’s where the problem lies.

When doom 3 came out it was great, but doesn’t have the lasting replay over and over and over again that 1/2/2016 have.

It’s a different feel. If I want to play a game that plays and feels like that I have one, that’s newer and better. And it’s called dead space.

Doom 1 and 2 are a bit too old to be the measuring stick of what a Doom game should be like today.
Wrong.

It is literally what the entire FPS genre is founded on.

I never wanted Doom to have an involved story getting in the way of the action. DOOM 64 and DOOM 2016 had plenty of ATMOSPHERE. That is all i need.

DOOM 2016 actually improves on the original model by making homicidal agression even more paramount.

I'm pretty sure all you guys responding to Sansom are getting trolled. That's why I didn't say anything. Opinions, subjectivity and all that, but when he said Doom 2016 felt like playing a Halo game I immediately didn't believe that nor the rest was a real opinion, especially when he said they ruined what made Doom 3 great. There's no fucking way that's a real opinion. That's some shit I would say if I wanted to troll.

If he's somehow not trolling, he's hitting the perfect beats that someone would hit to troll. I don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure all you guys responding to Sansom are getting trolled. That's why I didn't say anything. Opinions, subjectivity and all that, but when he said Doom 2016 felt like playing a Halo game I immediately didn't believe that nor the rest was a real opinion, especially when he said they ruined what made Doom 3 great. There's no fucking way that's a real opinion. That's some shit I would say if I wanted to troll.

If he's somehow not trolling, he's hitting the perfect beats that someone would hit to troll. I don't buy it.
I just wanna talk about doom and how great it is. ALL THE TIME

It could definitively be his opinion, and the way he feels

IF, IF he started playing Doom @ Doom 3 and didn’t grow up playing doom from the release of 1 or 2, or hell even 64 for that matter.

It could definitively be his opinion, and the way he feels

IF, IF he started playing Doom @ Doom 3 and didn’t grow up playing doom from the release of 1 or 2, or hell even 64 for that matter.
Doesn't pass my smell test. Mentioning reviews calling 3 better especially, I really dunno about that one. It could be his real opinion but those are all the things I'd say if I wanted to troll Doom fans.

I've played plenty of Halo, Doom 2016 plays nothing like Halo, in fact the combat systems are built to incentivize completely opposite styles of play. Of all the FPS' to compare it to...

Doom 64 free w preorder is worth the delay

Doesn't pass my smell test. Mentioning reviews calling 3 better especially, I really dunno about that one. It could be his real opinion but those are all the things I'd say if I wanted to troll Doom fans.

I've played plenty of Halo, Doom 2016 plays nothing like Halo, in fact the combat systems are built to incentivize completely opposite styles of play. Of all the FPS' to compare it to...
never been a fan of halo myself. Shooting midgets with pop guns isnt my idea of a good time. The vehicular combat they got right,but eh.

never been a fan of halo myself. Shooting midgets with pop guns isnt my idea of a good time. The vehicular combat they got right,but eh.
A lot of people around me played it so I did. It was aight but not really my style. Vehicle physics are great.

get a good look at this thing,it makes up 90% of the games enemies. Woopdefuckindoodah.

latest

get a good look at this thing,it makes up 90% of the games enemies. Woopdefuckindoodah.

latest
Dude... I could never really pin point why I couldn't get into Halo - even though it felt smooth, played really well. Something about the designs and the world just didn't click. And this is it, LOL. I didn't find the enemies all that bad ass, now that I think about it. On the surface they look like monsters and shit, so I never really went in that analytical direction, but when you just said it so bluntly... that's it right there. They're just clunky little bastards. Wrecking them as opposed to Doom demons or Locust from Gears - it's a whole different sense of satisfaction.

Dude... I could never really pin point why I couldn't get into Halo - even though it felt smooth, played really well. Something about the designs and the world just didn't click. And this is it, LOL. I didn't find the enemies all that bad ass, now that I think about it. On the surface they look like monsters and shit, so I never really went in that analytical direction, but when you just said it so bluntly... that's it right there. They're just clunky little bastards. Wrecking them as opposed to Doom demons or Locust from Gears - it's a whole different sense of satisfaction.
I felt like i was the only one who felt this way.

:: BROFIST ::

While we all patiently wait for Doom Eternal’s release we can pass the time by watching @Clippy play through the entirety of Ultimate Doom on ultra violence with pistol start on YouTube:

While we all patiently wait for Doom Eternal’s release we can pass the time by watching @Clippy play through the entirety of Ultimate Doom on ultra violence with pistol start on YouTube:

Ultimate Clippy

Pretty cool update if anyone picked up the newest releases. I haven’t played Sigil so I’m stoked to get into that.

Back