Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

Some of the most fun I've had gaming is while doing permadeath. There is something about the finality of every mistake that makes it a unique experience.
I understand the feeling, It ups the stakes

Started a nightmare run and holy shit the first two slayer gates might be the most rage inducing experiences I've ever had. Especially the first one.

I think there are 20 imps and 20 gargoyles shooting shit everywhere in phase one and then they add three revenants and two dread knights in phase two. It's brutal with only three weapons. And the second slayer gate is almost as bad. Haven't beaten it yet but I can see it's doable.

I actually started a second run to try different weapon mod combinations but got stuck on the first slayer gate for a couple hours and just deleted the character out of frustration. So now I'm starting that one over.

Reactions: HHJ
What weapon mods do you guys pick early?

There are four mod bots before you reach the first slayer gate in Exultia and one more before the second gate in Cultist Base. I'm thinking sticky bombs, precision bolt, micro missiles and heat blast, and then lock on burst once I get the rocket launcher in Cultist Base.

I tried using microwave beam on the plasma riffle for the dread knights and revenants but you don't really have enough time to zap them before the gang of crackheads arrives so heat blast would probably be better.

What weapon mods do you guys pick early?

There are four mod bots before you reach the first slayer gate in Exultia and one more before the second gate in Cultist Base. I'm thinking sticky bombs, precision bolt, micro missiles and heat blast, and then lock on burst once I get the rocket launcher in Cultist Base.
Exactly what I use. I don’t think I ever use microwave beam until I have to in the DLC lol

Reactions: HHJ
Exactly what I use. I don’t think I ever use microwave beam until I have to in the DLC lol
Cool thanks. It's actually pretty fun because you can use it to interrupt any enemy attack so it's good defensively or to begin counters. I like to freeze them with the microwave for a split second and then follow up with a PB head shot but it's not very useful in the first slayer gate so I can pick it up later.

You only have enough weapon points to max out one mod for the first slayer gate so which would you upgrade?

Cool thanks. It's actually pretty fun because you can use it to interrupt any enemy attack so it's good defensively or to begin counters. I like to freeze them with the microwave for a split second and then follow up with a PB head shot but it's not very useful in the first slayer gate so I can pick it up later.

You only have enough weapon points to max out one mod for the first slayer gate so which would you upgrade?
Pretty sure I usually do the precision bolt.

Pretty sure I usually do the precision bolt.
Really? I was thinking sticky bombs or heat blast for the AOE because I can't really quick swap yet until I get the suit upgrade.

Really? I was thinking sticky bombs or heat blast for the AOE because I can't really quick swap yet until I get the suit upgrade.
Oh yeah, I fucking love PB. Even if I’m not quick swapping with it I still love the cool down you can get. I’m addicted to breaking weak points.

Oh yeah, I fucking love PB. Even if I’m not quick swapping with it I still love the cool down you can get. I’m addicted to breaking weak points.
Nice. It is fun and sounds awesome. I'm just not very accurate with it.

I'll try to make a save file and try both upgrades.

Keyboard and mouse lol
Yeah well I'm even worse with kbm. Controller is my best shot believe me.

I put 2016 on a desktop so I could try it with kbm. I had to turn the difficulty down to the easiest level just to beat the tutorial. My goal is to eventually finish the whole level.

I started fooling around with punch cancelling (it's more like punch swapping in reality) and it's crazy how much damage you can do. You see speedrunners do it all the time.

I use the SSG because of my button layout but I believe the punch-PB combo has the highest DPS in the game so you need to try it next time you play. Check out the combos in the second half. They obliterate everything, even tyrants.

Meathook to PB is money. It freezes the demon and lines up a centre mass shot for you. I'm going to abuse the shit out of this.

Seen this thread the other week and it got me to rebuy this for PS5(played on Xbone at release)

Just beat the campaign on ultra violence, ripping and tearing has never felt so good. This has to be one of the coolest games ever made. You feel like a total badass the entire time playing.

Time for the dlcs, never played them. Heard they are brutal

Seen this thread the other week and it got me to rebuy this for PS5(played on Xbone at release)

Just beat the campaign on ultra violence, ripping and tearing has never felt so good. This has to be one of the coolest games ever made. You feel like a total badass the entire time playing.

I'm still early in the first one and it's already a step up in difficulty.

not since original god of war has there been such visceral gory pleasure altho i guess gears of wars chainsaw was the precedent for such glorious sadistic violence

Finally beat the doom hunter boss after two nights. That first phase is the hardest of any boss in the main game for me. Struggled with him on UV too and still don't really know how to get in and out without losing half my HP.

As a regular enemy and even in phase two they aren't that bad because you can bust their sled pretty easily but he has so much health in the first phase and his rockets are annoying to dodge.

Goddaaaaaamn the slayer gate on level 3 of Ancient Gods part 1 is fucking brutal.

The possessed marauder after 4-5 waves of double archviles, tyrants, blood makyrs and everything else. ive had to tap out for the moment...

Goddaaaaaamn the slayer gate on level 3 of Ancient Gods part 1 is fucking brutal.

The possessed marauder after 4-5 waves of double archviles, tyrants, blood makyrs and everything else. ive had to tap out for the moment...
LOL can't wait. How is the first DLC overall?

Back