Official Nioh 2 Disc: PC & PS5 Collection launch 05 FEB 21!

@Valhoven

Now I get it, considering the huge point dump on stamina and strength, odachi makes sense!
Smart man. Now you see. Armour sets (like BDH) with their weights and reqs in mind will now be met while all the same empowering you on the battlefield. You're essentially harvesting manyfold synergies, leaving nothing a point-dump isolate. Have a look at swearing allegiance to clan Todo to really bring your new gains full circle, bud.

I want to keep using Odachi weapons. Dumping points into stamina and strength is the way to go then? I should say, I barely understand a word of the above posts. o_O

Please keep it as dumbed down as possible. I'll accept 'yes'.
Yes. Ditch or prepare to change from light armour though if currently kitted for as much.

Yes. Ditch or prepare to change from light armour though if currently kitted for as much.
I tend to just switch to the armour pieces with the highest stats after every stage I successfully complete. I understand that there are bonuses for sticking to complete sets but again, I'm a noob.

Trying out the Hayabusa armor and dragon sword and I just don't enjoy the katana gameplay.

I tend to just switch to the armour pieces with the highest stats after every stage I successfully complete. I understand that there are bonuses for sticking to complete sets but again, I'm a noob.
If you're having a good time, that's the stuff. Thing is, there will come a point or fight in the game where your survivability as well as DPS (think a lethality rating per flurry) will have you hitting a wall, at which point your patchwork build (equipping best-yet drops willy-nilly) will prove a liability. A lot of talk ITT is pageantry, prep, and pointers on one thing: getting stronger. No loadout assembled without some forethought or outside sets will in any category outperform a proper build, as you've rightly noted on bonuses. If you are interested in sharing where you are at in-game and what your favourite WPNs + playstyle are, we can definitely keep it simple and have you work toward something to put passive and active perks in play. All this can mean the difference between a boss fight taking 15m or an hour-long battle of attrition as you whittle down gobs of HP without being hit more than twice.

Wait so I’ve been gearing like a Souls game. Light armor for agility and stamina regeneration and big weapon to smash. Is this not advisable?

If you're having a good time, that's the stuff. Thing is, there will come a point or fight in the game where your survivability as well as DPS (think a lethality rating per flurry) will have you hitting a wall, at which point your patchwork build (equipping best-yet drops willy-nilly) will prove a liability. A lot of talk ITT is pageantry, prep, and pointers on one thing: getting stronger. No loadout assembled without some forethought or outside sets will in any category outperform a proper build, as you've rightly noted on bonuses. If you are interested in sharing where you are at in-game and what your favourite WPNs + playstyle are, we can definitely keep it simple and have you work toward something to put passive and active perks in play. All this can mean the difference between a boss fight taking 15m or an hour-long battle of attrition as you whittle down gobs of HP without being hit more than twice.
Appreciate the advice, thanks. I'm going to play some more tonight so I'll report back with where exactly I am.

Wait so I’ve been gearing like a Souls game. Light armor for agility and stamina regeneration and big weapon to smash. Is this not advisable?
I think it depends on your goals. For a fun DotSam and/or DotStr playthrough, agility can take point and you build down from there. I found out the hard way en route to WotN in DotD and Wise that your agility rating (was also initially a point of pride for me) just wasn't getting it done -- couldn't even survive a margin of error to allow for chip or stun, it felt. I also should say for someone like you who's bested Bb at SL1 *tipping of hunter hat, you may well be able to pull through; to that breed of player, I saw dudes in Dragon Ninja (lightweight set) at the highest levels so it's more a cautionary tale for most of how out of whack AI HP and DMG scales as you progress. It's actually a bit cruel. Lol.

This is why I recommended to Coyote always to side with Ki DMG (cores, spirits, claws, tempering et cetera) over raw because the former scales (much) more manageably in the long game. Stam regen is something I had to relearn in DotD with combo-counting, for example, to ensure I avoid winded status penalties. You really need be able to eat some Mike Tyson-grade shots later.

I think it depends on your goals. For a fun DotSam and/or DotStr playthrough, agility can take point and you build down from there. I found out the hard way en route to WotN in DotD and Wise that your agility rating (was also initially a point of pride for me) just wasn't getting it done -- couldn't even survive a margin of error to allow for chip or stun, it felt. I also should say for someone like you who's bested Bb at SL1 *tipping of hunter hat, you may well be able to pull through; to that breed of player, I saw dudes in Dragon Ninja (lightweight set) at the highest levels so it's more a cautionary tale for most of how out of whack AI HP and DMG scales as you progress. It's actually a bit cruel. Lol.

This is why I recommended to Coyote always to side with Ki DMG (cores, spirits, claws, tempering et cetera) over raw because the former scales (much) more manageably in the long game. Stam regen is something I had to relearn in DotD with combo-counting, for example, to ensure I avoid winded status penalties. You really need be able to eat some Mike Tyson-grade shots later.
Sorry, I just meant agility in the sense of my character being able to move around quickly lol. My play style has always been about dodges more than parries so I like to be quick.

I’ve been cleaning up some of the end game missions so I’m assuming none of this has mattered that much. I don’t know anything about tempering, soul matching, crafting, etc. I’ve just been breaking down all my stuff for parts and haven’t done anything outside of slapping on a new item. There’s a ton more I have to learn, obviously.

So to illustrate the uselessness of focus points,
1000 attack points, at 3 billion amrita per Point, equates to 200 attack rating.

Sorry, I just meant agility in the sense of my character being able to move around quickly lol. My play style has always been about dodges more than parries so I like to be quick.

I’ve been cleaning up some of the end game missions so I’m assuming none of this has mattered that much. I don’t know anything about tempering, soul matching, crafting, etc. I’ve just been breaking down all my stuff for parts and haven’t done anything outside of slapping on a new item. There’s a ton more I have to learn, obviously.
Usually the graces and axe sets are heavy but you can play how you want. Set bonuses mean nothing in ng anyhow.

Usually the graces and axe sets are heavy but you can play how you want. Set bonuses mean nothing in ng anyhow.
Gotcha so the bonuses that really benefit axes are usually heavy armor. I’ll start doing a bit more research.

Gotcha so the bonuses that really benefit axes are usually heavy armor. I’ll start doing a bit more research.
Yeah the Kintaro and Obsidian Samurai sets are the two main ones that I'm aware of. Not sure if the DLC added anything good tho.

Well, I've made it to the Owl boss and that's me done for the evening. Seems like a really shitty boss battle.

Well, I've made it to the Owl boss and that's me done for the evening. Seems like a really shitty boss battle.
You'll bag him. I've no doubt. Take advantage of your environment with jugs thronging the arena; their smashing will imbue your WPN with purity. Also, make an effort to dispel Yokai pools with this one (consider barrier talisman to that end and/or see what's available from the bazaar for rice). Not a bad fight to consider skipping lock-on, especially when Tatarimokke goes airborne and you need lure away to break the Dark Realm's owl eye orb (red). Earlier when I spoke on sets outperforming patchwork builds, Shrine Maiden builds have for example an infinite source of HP upon pool dispel. See better what I meant now? We're all rooting for you, bud.

You'll bag him. I've no doubt. Take advantage of your environment with jugs thronging the arena; their smashing will imbue your WPN with purity. Also, make an effort to dispel Yokai pools with this one (consider barrier talisman to that end and/or see what's available from the bazaar for rice). Not a bad fight to consider skipping lock-on, especially when Tatarimokke goes airborne and you need lure away to break the Dark Realm's owl eye orb (red). Earlier when I spoke on sets outperforming patchwork builds, Shrine Maiden builds have for example an infinite source of HP upon pool dispel. See better what I meant now? We're all rooting for you, bud.
I think I need to go and start the training. First one recommends level 35, I think, and I'm around level 70. I've literally just been using my sword, burst counter, and guardian weapon so far. Time to unlock some shit.

I think I need to go and start the training. First one recommends level 35, I think, and I'm around level 70. I've literally just been using my sword, burst counter, and guardian weapon so far. Time to unlock some shit.
giphy.gif

Back