No Spoilers Official Resident Evil Village Discussion

How to you get SS ranks? Any tips?

The first 4, I recommend the sniper rifle or shotgun. Just get as high of a combo as possible through each area. Watch some videos on YouTube to get an idea of where to go and when to get every enemy possible.

The last 4, upgrade your pistol firepower and rate of fire, buy the magnum for tough enemies. After you’ve used up the magnum, sell it and get the grenade launcher and/or pipe bombs, whatever you have the cash for. You want to try to keep the combo up as much as possible in the first half of the stage, then the pressure will be off for the rest of the stage. You don’t even have to survive if you have the required score. For instance, Mad Village 2 has 5 areas, but you can get an SS ranking after the second one and die in the third and you’re good.

Most importantly, hit the blue orbs for abilities and remember, it’s a matter of both skill and luck. It may seem like you’ll never make it but next thing you know, you get a sweet round going where just enough goes right and you get the SS or better.

Finally finished, on Hardcore. Feel like this has moved into my top three RE games. Loved it from start to finish. Loved the over the top feeling from the story to the characters, it was just so much fun. They fixed pretty much everything I had issues with from 7. The game is one of the best looking I’ve seen. After I finished I spent another 30 minutes looking at the figures, those character/creature models are stunning.

A couple of performance issues but I wouldn’t have traded this experience with the 3D audio for slightly better performance. It made some of the encounters so haunting and more memorable. A standout was the last boss fight, really helped show off the 3D audio, I think those who have beat it know what I’m talking about. I think I’m going to be revisiting this many times, I already want to start a new game. My god does this need VR.

Glad I followed some reviewer advice and played on Hardcore. The only time I really struggled was the siege in the beginning and the last boss (I missed a ton of ammo and first aid before the fight so it was mostly a resource problem.) Clocked in a little over 10 hours. Curious to check out Village of Shadows with all I know now.

Fantastic game, easy 9/10, maybe higher as I go through the other features.

Finally finished, on Hardcore. Feel like this has moved into my top three RE games. Loved it from start to finish. Loved the over the top feeling from the story to the characters, it was just so much fun. They fixed pretty much everything I had issues with from 7. The game is one of the best looking I’ve seen. After I finished I spent another 30 minutes looking at the figures, those character/creature models are stunning.

A couple of performance issues but I wouldn’t have traded this experience with the 3D audio for slightly better performance. It made some of the encounters so haunting and more memorable. A standout was the last boss fight, really helped show off the 3D audio, I think those who have beat it know what I’m talking about. I think I’m going to be revisiting this many times, I already want to start a new game. My god does this need VR.

Glad I followed some reviewer advice and played on Hardcore. The only time I really struggled was the siege in the beginning and the last boss (I missed a ton of ammo and first aid before the fight so it was mostly a resource problem.) Clocked in a little over 10 hours. Curious to check out Village of Shadows with all I know now.

Fantastic game, easy 9/10, maybe higher as I go through the other features.
Impressive. There are some bits that are a real pain on normal, I imagine its way worse with underpowered guns and more strict resource management.

The thing with RE games are that there are so many 9/9.5/10 games that its hard to have a definitive top 3.

I can confidently say RE4 and RE2make are easily in the top 3, but the third position constantly shifts between RE7/RE3/RE8/RE2 etc. Its easy to see why this is my fav franchise in gaming, I dont think any other long running franchise has this many stellar games [and I know it has some fucking duds lol].

Impressive. There are some bits that are a real pain on normal, I imagine its way worse with underpowered guns and more strict resource management.

The thing with RE games are that there are so many 9/9.5/10 games that its hard to have a definitive top 3.

I can confidently say RE4 and RE2make are easily in the top 3, but the third position constantly shifts between RE7/RE3/RE8/RE2 etc. Its easy to see why this is my fav franchise in gaming, I dont think any other long running franchise has this many stellar games [and I know it has some fucking duds lol].
It honestly wasn’t bad outside of the first hour or so. Once I got some decent weaponry I usually wasn’t hurting for ammo or Lei. I was able to upgrade most of my arsenal quite a bit. Once you start upgrading Ethan it’s a bit of a walk in the park for most encounters. Blocking is pretty op when upgraded fully.

It’s definitely hard to narrow those lists down but I had so much fun with this game that I think I can say it pretty definitively. It blended so much of what I’ve loved in the series together and really felt like a return to RE for me.

The horror was done well and so was the action. It always seems like they struggle to ride that line and it usually tends to end up too heavy on the action for my liking. I think this one was on the verge of that too but stayed in its lane.

1. RE2make
2. Village
3. REmake

It honestly wasn’t bad outside of the first hour or so. Once I got some decent weaponry I usually wasn’t hurting for ammo or Lei. I was able to upgrade most of my arsenal quite a bit. Once you start upgrading Ethan it’s a bit of a walk in the park for most encounters. Blocking is pretty op when upgraded fully.

It’s definitely hard to narrow those lists down but I had so much fun with this game that I think I can say it pretty definitively. It blended so much of what I’ve loved in the series together and really felt like a return to RE for me.

The horror was done well and so was the action. It always seems like they struggle to ride that line and it usually tends to end up too heavy on the action for my liking. I think this one was on the verge of that too but stayed in its lane.

1. RE2make
2. Village
3. REmake
TBH youre right, I like the timing aspect of the block and push, felt like Sekiro or something with the parry. I rarely used it though.

Thats an insane list, and honestly I can see this game being a little polarizing but lauded after a few years.
Youre right though, the only ting a few of the other RE games have over it, is maybe time and nostalgia.

Completed my 1st PS5 game. I'm not going to serve up a complimentary reach around for a review but I will mention that it's well worth the $20 after buying & reselling.

I hope it doesn't spoil the RE4 I've yet to catch back up to in the early 2000's.

Last edited:

AJ hated it. 7/10. Said VR would have given it an extra point but basically called it a reskin of RE7.

Yeah I usually agree with him but I've seen enough of the game to know its not a reskin. Seems like a lazy review.
Who watches this guy? Obnoxious being.

If he did say its a reskin of RE7, dude needs to have his eyes tested. The TLOU II hate and review makes sense now though lol.

Yeah I usually agree with him but I've seen enough of the game to know its not a reskin. Seems like a lazy review.

Honestly, what does that even mean? It looks similar? Running on a similar engine? Okay. You can say that for any big game franchise. I haven't even played the fucker, but it's easy to tell they expanded on their initial ideas, and made something different. Only game series' I would apply that to(loosely) is Far Cry, Just Cause, or Assassins Creed, but even then, it would be a little cynical.

I think guys like AJ are like TV series' that have run their course. Had a good run, but the longer they go, the more desperate they get.

7/10 sounds about right, I was just a letdown with this game just like Resident Evil 7.
What was your beef with 7? Having almost beat village I can safely say I enjoyed 7 more

Village's visuals are some of the best in the series sure, but the way the game feels from one boss to the next is night and day from the tension in biohazard. I think RE8 would have benefited greatly by taking a page out of 7's book and making bosses pop up in later areas wearing damage from the last fight. It felt more desperate and impressive to survive in 7 than 8

What was your beef with 7? Having almost beat village I can safely say I enjoyed 7 more

Village's visuals are some of the best in the series sure, but the way the game feels from one boss to the next is night and day from the tension in biohazard. I think RE8 would have benefited greatly by taking a page out of 7's book and making bosses pop up in later areas wearing damage from the last fight. It felt more desperate and impressive to survive in 7 than 8
I’m getting sick of this trope in first person horror games (or just horror games in general at this point) where the game decides your only option is to run away and hide because the developer decided not being able to fight back is “scarier”. Certain segments of the game dragged and most of RE7’s main strengths are lost on a second run. So I’ve never been tempted to replay after my madhouse run.

Last edited:
I’m getting sick of this trope in first person horror games (or just horror games in general at this point) where the game decides your only option is to run away and hide because the developer decided not being able to fight back is “scarier”. Certain segments of the game dragged and most of RE7’s main strengths are lost on a second run. So I’ve never been tempted to replay after my madhouse run.
Yeah I was excited for dollhouse until I realized how much hiding in real-time they expected us to do

I'm excited to see the speedruns where people install the elevator fuse by yeeting themselves around with no hiding though

Yeah I was excited for dollhouse until I realized how much hiding in real-time they expected us to do

I'm excited to see the speedruns where people install the elevator fuse by yeeting themselves around with no hiding though
Game is already below 1:50 on Village of Shadows.

As much as I want to play other games, I keep getting the urge to play through this again. Think I just need to give in.

Completed my third play through in just over two hours. I’m having a lot of fun replaying it and messing around in Mercenaries.

Back