Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Vieira passed last night's test. Not certain how she'll fare against the upper echelons of bantamweight. She's an experienced grappler yet still leaves her head exposed on her way in for the uppercut counter.

I thought Sarj gave a good account of herself in a losing effort. Threw some good combinations, mixed the punches high and low. Vieira just had the more visibly effect punches when countering, and won the ground battle.
Sarj continued to show improvement, while Vieira left some questions regarding how she'll handle the upper echelon of the division. Hopefully they book her a fairly fast turnaround so we can find out.

On the Asian front, RENA got by Emi Tomimatsu with a decision. Some are saying RENA looked off, but I think they're not giving the veteran Tomimatsu enough credit. My review below, with link to fight in pinned comment:

Was kinda watching the fight last night, same time as the NBA game. Nice comeback win for Vieira after that KO from Aldana. Even in defeat, Eubanks looked solid.

On a side note, with the year drawing to a close it does seem like Joanna/Zhang could wind up as FOTY. If it does end up taking that spot among the majority of fans/media eyes, wonder if that will be the first time a women's fight does so on a mass level. Not that there hasn't been great fights in the past, just on a big, recognizable level even among casuals.

Was kinda watching the fight last night, same time as the NBA game. Nice comeback win for Vieira after that KO from Aldana. Even in defeat, Eubanks looked solid.

On a side note, with the year drawing to a close it does seem like Joanna/Zhang could wind up as FOTY. If it does end up taking that spot among the majority of fans/media eyes, wonder if that will be the first time a women's fight does so on a mass level. Not that there hasn't been great fights in the past, just on a big, recognizable level even among casuals.

Yeah, Eubanks' cardio also looked improved. She still had it in the third round. Agree with second paragraph too. I'd say Joanna/Zhang is an even better women's fight than Taylor v. Katy or Beyonce v. 'Becky with the long hair.' <Eek2.0>

Yeah, Eubanks' cardio also looked improved. She still had it in the third round. Agree with second paragraph too. I'd say Joanna/Zhang is an even better women's fight than Taylor v. Katy or Beyonce v. 'Becky with the long hair.' <Eek2.0>

tenor.gif

Becky with the good hair, has exactly only that advantage over Beyonce. But who cares about having nice natural hair, when you have made more money than Becky with the good hair could only dream of? So I score it 49-46 Beyonce.

Vieira looked huge next to Eubanks. I will never root for Sijara after how she put her foot in her mouth, with the "I run this division" comments, and proceeded to run the 127.2 division instead. But props to her for taking such a risky fight in short notice. To her credit, Vieira should've finished her, yet she hung out and put on a competitive fight with her instead.

Apparently Stanp Fairtex and Rodtang have called it quits, and in the week since then, Stamp died her hair purple, then black, and now has cropped it short. I’d say she’s handling the breakup quite well :rolleyes:

Good lord it’s a slow news week for wmma

Anyone else feel Aldana has a decent chance against Holm?

Yep. Holm is probably physically stronger and has cardio from hell but Aldana can out-point her. Holly's movement, while generally poor technically is quick enough to make Irene have to work to cut the cage. Now, as Holm does not exactly have the greatest power in her hands the major thing Aldana has to worry about is the LHK.

Potential issues:
1. Holm can throw all day. She spams punches, spams more, and then spams some more. The problem with this is that Aldana has good head movement until she starts to throw. She will be leaving a stable target up for Holm to tag while in punching range.
2. Neither has great grappling so it will probably stay on the feet. I expect Holly could wall-n-stall to a victory, this will depend on the ref.
3. Aldana has better technical striking with her hands. Not a lot of power so I was really surprised with the Viera KO.

As Holly's footwork is shit and all she does is basically side-step like she is in some stupid ass ho-down Aldana needs to figure out how to cut the cage properly. You can practice this all camp but doing it on fight night is something else entirely. Hopefully her corner can analyze well.

Aldana is not the greatest when countering, but if she can force Holm to be the aggressor she can out-point her here.

The myth that Holm is a "counter-striker" is still in the water supply. This is based off of comments following her fight with Ronda where she was assisted by Ronda running face first with her hands out into Holm's left straight until Holly did the world a favor with the LHK. She is not. We saw what happened when she faced an actual counter-striker (Shevchenko).

If Aldana counters more and cuts the cage properly she can win. If this turns into a clinch battle I think she loses but hope I am wrong. I have never seen much in the way of power from Aldana's kicks but she might chew up Holly's front leg a bit as Holm leans forward too far on her front (right) foot. She would need to time this properly to avoid getting lit up as Holly is fairly quick on the inside.

I think it is a close call either way but am picking Aldana. Not sure if Holly has lost a half-step or not and for me this fight is a decent indicator.

Agreed, keys to an Aldana victory will be cutting off the cage and creating as many chances to throw hard in the pocket with Holm (not spam jabs, but really "sit down on her punches"). And, I have a feeling that if Holly gets tagged a few times, she'll bully Irene into the cage and hold her their for long swathes of time...so Irene better have some plan to escape that. Lastly, while acknowledging that Holm's best weapon is her head-kick, Aldana can't just plan her whole strategy around it. She can't run away anytime Holly threatens to fire one off. She needs to keep her guard up and be willing to take a couple of those (to step into closer range and pound Holly's face). I've seen it suggested that Irene should bait Holly into turning it into a boxing match...maybe, but Holly won't "agree" to fight that way for long if she gets the worst of a couple exchanges. Everyone knows I'm pulling for my bae, Irene, but Holly is a very tough opponent for her. Holly is: evasive, stronger in the clinch, has more than enough cardio, knows how to fight long, can KO fighters who get careless and let their guard down, has very good TD defense, has buttloads of experience in high-pressure fights, and knows how to win close fights. Still...War Irene!!!!

And, I need to at least be in the conversation to determine "the oldest veteran at pissing women off" here.

Jarl

Back