Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Thanks for the in-depth replies, @Eater of Souls & @JarlSkuld. What if Holm tries to take it to the ground, as she has with a few fighters where she / her coaches think that's her most risk averse option? I'm thinking Aldana has good smart footwork to keep her distance and avoid that confrontation, but don't yet know enough about how to examine fights while watching those kinds of details.

It does seem like Vieira could have tried taking it to the ground against Aldana but reacted so angrily to getting smashed in the face that she forgot about a takedown and instead got caught, leading to the lights out ko. Or maybe she just couldn't catch her?

Don't recall seeing much of Aldana grappling. Holm's grappling was once thought of as non-existent but she has shown she can use her strength to get a submission if she doesn't want to stay on the feet.

Thanks for the in-depth replies, @Eater of Souls & @JarlSkuld. What if Holm tries to take it to the ground, as she has with a few fighters where she / her coaches think that's her most risk averse option? I'm thinking Aldana has good smart footwork to keep her distance and avoid that confrontation, but don't yet know enough about how to examine fights while watching those kinds of details.

It does seem like Vieira could have tried taking it to the ground against Aldana but reacted so angrily to getting smashed in the face that she forgot about a takedown and instead got caught, leading to the lights out ko. Or maybe she just couldn't catch her?

Don't recall seeing much of Aldana grappling. Holm's grappling was once thought of as non-existent but she has shown she can use her strength to get a submission if she doesn't want to stay on the feet.
Aldana should be able to stuff Holm’s takedowns I think, if she even attempts them. I think Holm mostly uses wrestling to push her opponents on the cage.

Holm’s only true shooting takedown is always a single leg as far as I can tell. Aldana does defend those fairly well as evidenced by her fight with Bernadrdo, who was much more desperate for them than Holm will be. FWIW, Aldana also stuffed 5 of 6 Pennington TDs. That being said, for both women a lot of their TD and TDD is based on being better athletes than the majority of their peers.

I dont think this hits the mat, but if it does, Aldana’s aggression of her back with strikes will serve her well as she is certainly more of a submission threat than Holm.

Honestly, I just don't see Aldana winning unless she gets a finish somehow. Nunes was the only one who ever made Holm look like she wasn't competition, everyone else has had a tough time with her.

People overlook the fact that Vieira pretty much gave away the win by going full on Garbrandt. She fought angry and sloppy, forgetting about defense and head hunting like Andrade. Irene does have some serious skills, I even think she's more likely to submit Holly than vice-versa, but I don't think that'll happen. Holly most likely wins a competitive decision. Wherever the fight goes, Holly has the advantage: She's incredibly durable, has cardio for days, is strong as hell, can tag you quickly in the pocket or from the outside, and has movement. Irene couldn't figure out Chookagian and couldn't put Pudilova away, even with Lucie marching forward with her chin out every round.

Last edited:
Pretty rare I can say this, but a women’s boxing match I’m apreally looking forward to:

Holm has advantages - kicks, cardio probably, durability, Aldana has boxing, it'll probably come down to who wears the white shirt.

DeRandamie v Pena is an interesting fight, I can see Julianna winning this. Likewise Kielholtz v Jackson, maybe a surprisingly bad weekend for kickboxers?

Thursday October 1 2020

[MMA] Bellator 247: Daley vs. Anderson
Milan, Italy
Main Card – CBS Sports Network / DAZN – 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT
Denise Kielholtz vs. Kate Jackson
Preliminary Card – CBSSports.com / YouTube – 12:15pm ET / 9:15pm PT
Jade Jorand vs. Monika Chochlikova

Friday October 1

[MMA] Wieczór Walk 7
Kraków, Poland
Main Card – YouTube – 1:00pm ET / 10:00am PT
Barbara Grabowska vs. Paulina Wiśniewsk
Magdalena Czaban vs. Martina Corradi
Aleksandra Szpiczakowska vs. Aleksandra Drzazga

[GRAPPLING] Who’s #1: Gordon Ryan vs Matheus Diniz
Austin, Texas, USA
Main Card – FloGrappling – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Gabrielle Garcia vs. Elisabeth Clay
Luiza Monteiro vs. Nathalie Ribeiro

Saturday October 3

MUAY THA] Muay Hardcore
Thailand
Dangsudfan v. Soeng Maeuy
Main Card – YouTube / Facebook / TV8 – 8:00am ET / 5:00am PT

[MMA/KICKBOXING]
FEN 30: LOTOS Fight Night 3
Wrocław, Poland
Main Card – Polsat Sport / IPlay – 12:30pm ET / 9:30am PT
Anita Bekus vs. Izabela Badurek
Barbara Nalepka vs. Hanna Gujwan

[KICKBOXING]
Enfusion 98
Alkmaar, Netherlands
Widdershoven v. Gobel
Holchanova v. Twist
Main Card – Facebook – 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT

[MMA]
Valor Fighting Challenge 74
Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Main Card – iPPV (BoxCast.tv) – 4:30pm ET / 1:30pm PT
Larkin Dasch v. Sara Hayes

[MMA] Bellator Euro Series 9: Gallagher vs. Ellenor
Milan, Italy
Main Card – YouTube – 5:00pm ET / 2:00pm PT
James Gallagher vs. Cal Ellenor
Charlie Ward vs. Andy Manzolo
Kiefer Crosbie vs. Charlie Leary
Preliminary Card – YouTube – 12:45pm ET / 9:45am PT
Sinead Kavanagh vs. Katharina Lehner

[MMA] UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Aldana
Abu Dhabi, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Main Card – ESPN / ESPN+ – 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT
Holly Holm vs. Irene Aldana
Germaine de Randamie vs. Julianna Peña
Preliminary Card – ESPN+ – 7:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT
Loma Lookboonmee vs. Jinh Yu Frey

Sunday October 4

[MMA] Maricá Fight 1
Marica, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Main Card – Facebook – 1:00pm ET / 10:00am PT
Gabriel Costa vs. Andre Clayton Conceição

[BOXING] Buatsi vs. Calic
London, United Kingdom
Main Card – DAZN – 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT
Chantelle Cameron vs. Adriana Araujo

[GRAPPLING] Submission Underground 18
Portland, Oregon, USA
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT
Leah Taylor vs. Kendall Reusing

https://grabakahitman.wordpress.com

my picks for this week:
loma v. jinh: loma's gonna throw a shit ton of knees and elbows but if jinh can fit some uppercuts in the clinch then it might change the tide.
gdr v. pena: damn this one's hard since gdr is a great striker - but I'm gonna go with pena for sheer tenacity.
holm v. aldana - as usual the odds have it for holm but those who actually watch the fights have it for aldana. i would have it for aldana too, but i read a recent article about the effect of covid-19 on athletes and honestly it got me a little scared for her. i would love for aldana to win but this covid thing is scary - here's hoping she doesn't pass out :(

So I was watching some fights online and I came across a few decent fights. Gozel Zutova vs Dariya Zheleznyakova. It’s the last fight on this card.

https://youtu.be/C4Ep43eCG2

Then there’s this Roza Gummiena fight. Roza also has a kickboxing background. This fight was in late June, and she also fought this past weekend and won by RNC in the 1st.

Would’ve timestapamed but I’m on my phone today.

Weekend Picks

Loma Lookboonmee vs. Jinh Yu Frey- Frey
Germaine de Randamie vs. Julianna Peña - Peña
Holly Holm vs. Irene Aldana - Aldana

Bellator
Kate Jackson v. Denis Kieholtz - Kieholtz

Back