Official Women's Division Discussion #27

I really like watching Torres' fights:) Very entertaining stuff from her once again. And it's super cool that Tecia (and Esparza!) will overtake Joanna in the amount of wins in UFC very soon! That makes me happy.

KK threw the fight away, would have lost anyway no doubt, but yeah - don't go down on Penne (unelss you want to). Fun grappling from Jessica to get things done. Well played.

The third fight was pretty good stuff from Gatto!

All in all, very nice stuff with Torres/Hill as the standout.

I thought all of women delivered fun fights.

Sad to see Leonardo lose with her arm rebreaking maybe she came back too early.
Nice to see penne make the most of her return if she hadn't fought usada she still be banned, now she took home a POTN 50K.

I was really impressed with Tecia boxing, I had thought hill would be stronger there but Tecia took away her bast weapon to get a good win. I think she could challenge almost anyone in the division how her standup looked there, dern, yan, Ribas, even maybe win some rematches.

Nice to see penne make the most of her return if she hadn't fought usada she still be banned, now she took home a POTN 50K.

I was really impressed with Tecia boxing, I had thought hill would be stronger there but Tecia took away her bast weapon to get a good win. I think she could challenge almost anyone in the division how her standup looked there, dern, yan, Ribas, even maybe win some rematches.

Yeah, I was really happy for Penne considering everything that went down with USADA. You could tell how much the win/fighting meant to her in the post-fight interview. Was hoping she would get a bonus as the transition into the armbar was pretty sweet and she really shines on the ground.

Tecia looked good. Nice boxing and kicks. Shoutout to her and Michelle Waterson for keeping the sidekick alive.

Shoutout to her and Michelle Waterson for keeping the sidekick alive.
Yan Xiaonan, as well. Zhang used to use it a lot, but she basically abandoned it as she fell more and more under her Muay Thai coach’s sway.

Time for Karolina to retire, I'm sure she feels good when she's training but when the cage door shuts she looks absolutely terrified.

For sure. It's one thing for a fighter to look terrified after getting punched by Amanda Nunes, but she's facing Penne, not Nunes. If you're afraid of getting punched by Penne and running for your life like you're locked in the cage with the lioness, it's time to move on to other things beyond the cage.

For sure. It's one thing for a fighter to look terrified after getting punched by Amanda Nunes, but she's facing Penne, not Nunes. If you're afraid of getting punched by Penne and running for your life like you're locked in the cage with the lioness, it's time to move on to other things beyond the cage.
Not only that.
Im trying to understand a single reason for her to jump into Penne's guard...

Darn Covid. I was so ready to see Amanda wreck Julianna, and now we gotta wait even longer. We were so close! Which reminds me, these past few couple of months have been very dry when it comes to high profile match-ups, with a few exceptions, but the schedule is picking up steam soon: Shevchenko vs Murphy, Andrade vs Calvillo, Dern vs Rodriguez, Holm vs Dumont. Hopefully we'll have some news about Velasquez vs Carmouche, Namajunas vs Esparza, and Cyborg vs Zingano/Budd soon. The PFL play offs are coming up too!

PFL it is then. The UFC has not signed or re-signed anyone at 145 since Wolf. Once all these girls fight out their contracts the division is done. The only saving grace would be if Kayla became available and the UFC signed her. They might extend the division longer while they build up to a Kayla vs Nunes fight.

They did tell Dumont not to go down to 145 cause they were trying to build the division. They may be trying to keep it alive

Man, the UFC would be stupid to ignore Julia Budd. Sign her, allow her to clean up, and then match her up against Fee or Fairn (who suspiciously dropped out of her bantamweight fight with Edwards), and you're immediately giving a big boost to the Featherweight division. This is the UFC though, the same people that ignored Pam Sorenson while she was sidelined since 2019, and refuse to sign Sarah Kaufman... So Budd may not even get a call from them.

Bellator are really ungrateful for even allowing her to become a free agent. She built their division, but was treated poorly ever since they signed The Borg. A former champion has no business fighting two new comers back to back, and fighting out of her contract, when the division is so thin.

Budd vs Pacheco/Shields would be dope too.

Man, the UFC would be stupid to ignore Julia Budd. Sign her, allow her to clean up, and then match her up against Fee or Fairn (who suspiciously dropped out of her bantamweight fight with Edwards), and you're immediately giving a big boost to the Featherweight division. This is the UFC though, the same people that ignored Pam Sorenson while she was sidelined since 2019, and refuse to sign Sarah Kaufman... So Budd may not even get a call from them.

Bellator are really ungrateful for even allowing her to become a free agent. She built their division, but was treated poorly ever since they signed The Borg. A former champion has no business fighting two new comers back to back, and fighting out of her contract, when the division is so thin.

She is too boring for my taste. If I were running the UFC I would stay clear of her at all costs. She is like Phil Davis. If you put him in vs someone he is way better than he will put on a show. If the talent levels are anywhere close to each other they will be boring every single time.

She was on something ridiculous like 300k a fight for Bellator, I'd be surprised if the UFC thinks she's worth 50k. She might get an offer but substantially less than she was on.

Back