Official Women's Division Discussion #27

What is up with Jinh. She has not looked good. I want her to win and am a fan but I gotta call it like I see it.

Jacked as she is, maybe she's aging out? (35+)
Also might be a bit too jacked (looks slow and plodding. Also age?)
But mentally she just doesn't seem willing to fire the gun. (Even that could also be age - not 'young and hungry' :p)

But what's the excuse with Germaine?

Anyway, Germaine predicts deez thingz, she said she'd do the "hush" sign if she were to win by submission somehow. She was joking, but she actually got it WTF.
Are fighters not allowed to make improvements to their game? Are they to be stuck as one dimensional fighters forever?

Fair win for Lookboonmee. Frey didn’t get anything going for two rounds outside of the occasional counter and after the early 3rd grappling and escape, she managed to get back to coasting to a rather sparrish win. Not her fault, of course and at least the 3rd round was somewhat worth watching. Frey doesn’t seem to have much in the tank anymore for UFC, to be honest - hopefully she at least tried hardish enough in the 3rd (and is probabl “marketable” enough) to get one more fight :(

Pena managing to be submitted by GDR was amusing, was mostly hoping De Randamie loses, but this was funny too. For some reason the fight itself completely uninteresting to me, outside of the finish, even though there was some stuff happening. But I laughed at the end, so all is good :)

Aldana being mounted by Holly on the other hand did not make me laugh :( Fuck.

Guess it’s time for a Holly/GDR rematch then at 135?

Fair win for Lookboonmee. Frey didn’t get anything going for two rounds outside of the occasional counter and after the early 3rd grappling and escape, she managed to get back to coasting to a rather sparrish win. Not her fault, of course and at least the 3rd round was somewhat worth watching. Frey doesn’t seem to have much in the tank anymore for UFC, to be honest - hopefully she at least tried hardish enough in the 3rd (and is probabl “marketable” enough) to get one more fight :(
I am trying to figure out what type of fighter Jinh is now. When she 1st came on the scene she was a powerful striker. Then she turned into a wrestler. Now she is just there and don't seem to be special at anything. If we are being honest the UFC did a good job giving her manageable fights to start off. Kay was very young and not a hard opponent. This fight was a fight where she can't use the size excuse and just had to out grapple a MT fighter. She failed at both. Hopefully Jinh does not turn into one of those promising fighters who go 0-3 in the UFC and get cut.

Color me surprised tonight.

Did not expect Germain to get the submission over Pena, who really had to struggle for the takedown and swing wildly to get inside. I remember Pena having positive buzz coming out of TUF, but injuries and lack of skill development seemed to have halted her career.

Salute to Holly Holm for putting on easily one of her best performances in the UFC. Aldana helped by not being able to figure out a way to stop her movement, but Holm had a stellar output of strikes and got straight nasty towards the end there by really putting it on Aldana.

Not exactly the best outcomes for the BW division, as no one is clamoring to see either in a title fight again and looking at the Top 10 is bleak with new contenders. Yet, I have to impressed with the vets showing out tonight.

Hopefully Jinh does not turn into one of those promising fighters who go 0-3 in the UFC and get cut.

Yeah, I think she might end up as one of the "I pulled off my dream of getting to UFC" types. But, she's getting a bit long in the tooth anyway and has an education to fall back on (if situations permit) and she's now fought pretty much everyone/where between being Invicta champ, her trips to lose title fights to the very top of 105lbs in asia and then an UFC roadtrip. Not a CV to be ashamed of.

I am trying to figure out what type of fighter Jinh is now. When she 1st came on the scene she was a powerful striker. Then she turned into a wrestler. Now she is just there and don't seem to be special at anything. If we are being honest the UFC did a good job giving her manageable fights to start off. Kay was very young and not a hard opponent. This fight was a fight where she can't use the size excuse and just had to out grapple a MT fighter. She failed at both. Hopefully Jinh does not turn into one of those promising fighters who go 0-3 in the UFC and get cut.

I guess it depends how we define 'promising fighter' here... for me I saw Jinh as being 35, a bit smaller in the div, maybe she can get a few fights and wins in the big stage as a nice capstone for her career. I didn't have her in mind as someone with the 'promise' of being top 15 for instance.

But like you said, they were decent matchups for her and she lost and didn't look good. IMO she didn't really look good in her last few Invicta fights either, I stopped watching her there TBH after the 1st Grusander fight (which was an awful fight, largely due to Grusander TBF). So I don't really see her going places but would like to see her get a couple of wins. Someone suggested Whitmire, that'd be good (but Whit might be too big for Jinh).
... Hannah Cifers maybe? :D (I wouldn't be shocked if Hannah knocked Jinh's block off the way she's been fighting to be honest...)

Are fighters not allowed to make improvements to their game? Are they to be stuck as one dimensional fighters forever?

Germaine doesn't have a black belt in any grappling discipline though. That is what negates the "at least she's a black belt in BJJ" excuses. Because Peña losing to Shevchenko isn't that bad, she's got a black belt in Judo after all, right? Peña getting put to sleep by someone with no grappling credentials isn't excusable. She effed up.

Dear Lord, I knew it and I called it. Irene Aldana had nothing for Holly Holm, nowhere near her level. Haters can commit massive suicide, the truth is Holly and Germaine are not going anywhere because they're still far ahead of these up and comers. The same thing would've happened to Aspen Ladd had she fought Holm, she would've lost in a one sided fight. In a sense, they're the Chookagian of bantamweight, can't beat the champion but clearly better than the rest of the division.

GDR vs Holm II at 135 in January/February. Winner fights Nunes in June/July.

Germaine doesn't have a black belt in any grappling discipline though. That is what negates the "at least she's a black belt in BJJ" excuses. Because Peña losing to Shevchenko isn't that bad, she's got a black belt in Judo after all, right? Peña getting put to sleep by someone with no grappling credentials isn't excusable. She effed up.

Dear Lord, I knew it and I called it. Irene Aldana had nothing for Holly Holm, nowhere near her level. Haters can commit massive suicide, the truth is Holly and Germaine are not going anywhere because they're still far ahead of these up and comers. The same thing would've happened to Aspen Ladd had she fought Holm, she would've lost in a one sided fight. In a sense, they're the Chookagian of bantamweight, can't beat the champion but clearly better than the rest of the division.

GDR vs Holm II at 135 in January/February. Winner fights Nunes in June/July.
Belts don’t mean shit in mma. Michelle Waterson, who has no belt at the time, submitted purple belt Jessica Penne.
Pena is just a mediocre wrestler.

Loma gave a mind-blowing performance (for me). Despite her smaller size she looked completely well-rounded. She's a great reason to open an atom weight division.

GDR got a well-deserved performance of the night. She's been saying if she gets a neck she'll get a finish and she sure proved it tonight.

Kudos to Holm. Cardio for days. Tonight she showed her talents too. Aldana had nothing for her. Couldn't cut the cage. Couldn't defend the takedowns. Back to the drawing board.

I'd like to see a rematch of GDR v. Holm. Their first was close and had those hits at or near the bell. Still I'd favor GDR.

Back