Olympic Boxing thread: Every night Starting 7/23.

The Azeri and Armenian just beating the shit out of each other a few days ago was something to behold. The Hagler/Hearns of amateur bouts.

Oleksander Khyzniak vs Eumir Marcial fight tomorrow

This is going to be a good fight, I can definitely see these two fighting again in the pros, if Khyzniak turns pro

I think Jalolov will beat Clarke & avenge an earlier loss to him a few years back. Then he'll go on to take the gold. He's got some impressive skills & scary power. I just watched his fight against the American SH Richard Torrez from two years ago when he sent the poor kid out on a stretcher. If/when Jalolov wins the gold look for him to be fast-tracked into the top ten. He's already 8-0 as a pro.

It's interesting looking at Clarke's amateur record though & seeing that he lost to Joe Joyce four times. Twice by KO. I'm sure he's improved since then but I can't see him making it into the finals. Jalolov is looking dominant to me.

I am probably very late to the party but wow is Keyshawn Davis a great fighter!!!! Looks like he will win a Gold Medal for USA Boxing. Looks to be a great Pro Boxer also!!!

Did the kid from Cincinnati make it to the finals at feather?

theyre playing Lit- My own Worst Enemy after this Super HW semi lol

What a great showing by the American SHW. Torrez tore up the script. I think he has a shot at Gold because Clarke hurt Jalolov and Torrez certainly hurt Kunkabayev. I know Jalolov has stopped him before but Torrez looks to have improved since then. Nasty cut he opened up on the Kazahk. And Clarke's previous cut opened up badly in his bout.

Whitaker got dominated by the Cuban as expected. He is good defensively but doesn't have much offence. Not bothered about him turning pro.

What a great showing by the American SHW. Torrez tore up the script. I think he has a shot at Gold because Clarke hurt Jalolov and Torrez certainly hurt Kunkabayev. I know Jalolov has stopped him before but Torrez looks to have improved since then. Nasty cut he opened up on the Kazahk. And Clarke's previous cut opened up badly in his bout.

Whitaker got dominated by the Cuban as expected. He is good defensively but doesn't have much offence. Not bothered about him turning pro.

I'm certainly excited about the SHW final on August 8. As much as I'd like to see the American take the gold I'm picking Jalolov to win. He's got a lot more experience, he has mad skills, scary power & a big psychological edge having scored a devastating KO over Torrez in 2019. The fact that he had to be carried out of the ring on a stretcher has to weigh heavily on Torrez's mind.

But who knows? Maybe Torrez has the stuff of champions & he'll rise to the occasion by gaining revenge over Jalolov. I don't believe it will happen but if it does Torrez will basically be able to write his own ticket when he turns pro. I think he'll be a massive star.

I'm certainly excited about the SHW final on August 8. As much as I'd like to see the American take the gold I'm picking Jalolov to win. He's got a lot more experience, he has mad skills, scary power & a big psychological edge having scored a devastating KO over Torrez in 2019. The fact that he had to be carried out of the ring on a stretcher has to weigh heavily on Torrez's mind.

But who knows? Maybe Torrez has the stuff of champions & he'll rise to the occasion by gaining revenge over Jalolov. I don't believe it will happen but if it does Torrez will basically be able to write his own ticket when he turns pro. I think he'll be a massive star.
Yeah it is a big ask. I just watched their first meeting and yeah it was a brutal KO. One thing I noticed though was Torrez stayed at the wrong range the whole time, he couldn't get close but was right at the end of Jalolovs punches. During this tournament, he's closed the range on taller guys much more effectively. If he struggles to get close then I could see history repeating itself. It's funny because Torrez has looked like he's made of iron in this games but clearly Jalolov has enough power to really hurt him. And I thought Jalolov looked a bit vulnerable too against Clarke. Exciting final.

Thought I'd post their first meeting here.

Yeah it is a big ask. I just watched their first meeting and yeah it was a brutal KO. One thing I noticed though was Torrez stayed at the wrong range the whole time, he couldn't get close but was right at the end of Jalolovs punches. During this tournament, he's closed the range on taller guys much more effectively. If he struggles to get close then I could see history repeating itself. It's funny because Torrez has looked like he's made of iron in this games but clearly Jalolov has enough power to really hurt him. And I thought Jalolov looked a bit vulnerable too against Clarke. Exciting final.

Yeah, it should be. I'm really looking forward to Sunday.

Let's hope that Torrez has his head on straight two years after that devastating KO loss & that he can give a better account of himself. But it's going to be a very difficult task indeed. I was shocked by how much bigger Jalolov looked than Torrez in that first fight. It looked like they were in different weight classes. So, yeah, Torrez is going to have to find his way inside without getting caught again.

It’s rare to see such a brutal KO I’m the Amis.

Jalolov moves really well for his size. I’m sure Torres has made big improvements in the last 2 years but I feel that he’s gonna have the same problem this time round

It’s rare to see such a brutal KO I’m the Amis.

Jalolov moves really well for his size. I’m sure Torres has made big improvements in the last 2 years but I feel that he’s gonna have the same problem this time round
It will be interesting to see what happens because no one has managed to keep Torrez off them so far. Jalolov is a different level though.

Jesus. That medical ‘attention’ was shocking. Medics took over a minute to arrive, no oxygen…
Yeah pretty piss poor considering it's the World Championships.

Cuban Lopez deserved that gold. Torrez is fan friendly but he eats too many shots to be able to close the range on Jalolov without eating something big. All in all we're getting some fun fights this year. And the judges decisions seem to be in general ok this time.

Back