Overrated movie you've ever seen?

"I see you..."

After watching that movie, I really wasn't wanting to see much more of it.

Last edited:
I just watched into the spiderverse. I kept hearing how it was the best spiderman movie etc...not even close. It was ok but not mind blowing like people were making it out to be. I would argue the story was pretty meh.

I mean its a good film with pretty strong performances in it but considering how much praise it gets(at the top of so many peoples favourites list) I find it pretty unambitious on almost every level.

It strikes me as a film loved by people who don't really appreciate the mediums potential, the cinematic equivalent of an airport novel. Not everyone has to appreciate every art form of course but it should IMHO effect how the praise it gets is viewed.

That's some pretentious arty criticism though. There is room for for everything. You can have experimental films, that push some boundaries and take risks, and you can also have movies like SR, that perfects the traditional aspects of the medium. From script, to score, to performances, to direction...it's practically flawless. That is just as hard, if not harder to do, then just letting it all hang out there and seeing what sticks.

Y'all are talking like The Shawshank Redemption is some forgettable popcorn flick, like Transformers. The execution is what matters, and in that regard, I repeat, it's practically flawless. It's insane to me to hear people regard it as some forgettable fluff. It is excellent in every way. It's a fuckin' diamond.

Clueless, its overrated, not that good

91GN36kx7sL._SY606_.jpg

Met Alicia at an event in Hawaii back in 2004. My friend who's a Vegetarian took me with her. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

giphy.gif

That's some pretentious arty criticism though. There is room for for everything. You can have experimental films, that push some boundaries and take risks, and you can also have movies like SR, that perfects the traditional aspects of the medium. From script, to score, to performances, to direction...it's practically flawless. That is just as hard, if not harder to do, then just letting it all hang out there and seeing what sticks.

Y'all are talking like The Shawshank Redemption is some forgettable popcorn flick, like Transformers. The execution is what matters, and in that regard, I repeat, it's practically flawless. It's insane to me to hear people regard it as some forgettable fluff. It is excellent in every way. It's a fuckin' diamond.

Shawshank is a good film but really it takes a quite well worn predictable story and tells it in a competence but rather unexceptional fashion IMHO, you don't need to be an art film at the ragged edge to do more than that.

You talk about elitism but actually that's what annoys me about Shawshank, god knows how many times I'v seen people express a loathing of something like say Marvel and then highlight it as a pinnacle of cinema. Basically people belittling others taste in cinema whilst actually having quite limited taste themselves confusing an "adult" story for more challenging cinema.

Shawshank is a good film but really it takes a quite well worn predictable story and tells it in a competence but rather unexceptional fashion IMHO, you don't need to be an art film at the ragged edge to do more than that.

You talk about elitism but actually that's what annoys me about Shawshank, god knows how many times I'v seen people express a loathing of something like say Marvel and then highlight it as a pinnacle of cinema. Basically people belittling others taste in cinema whilst actually having quite limited taste themselves confusing an "adult" story for more challenging cinema.

Why does one have "limited taste" if they can recognize a good movie regardless of how traditional it may be? It's not like just some shallow minded people like SR. Most professional critics and film makers themselves(who likely have a larger pallet than most) recognize it as great as well. Your issue is an entirely personal one, where you view SR fans as a bunch of slack jawed yokels who can't recognize "true art", but the fact of the matter is, most cinephiles can recognize it's greatness, while also appreciating movies that take a more experimental path. They can see what makes a good movie period. I would argue the folks who can't tell the difference between SR and some fluff, are the ones with a limited pallet. Like a metal head, or jazz snob who can't appreciate any other form of music, because it's too "basic", and they're just sooo above it all.

As far as Marvel goes, what are you talking about? Those movies for the most part are both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. Who are all these people making fun of others for liking them? Some anonymous folks on the internet? Who cares? Those movie get their due, but you're not going to please everyone of course. It's kind of ironic though, because you're doing that very elitist thing that irritates you, by ignorantly belittling SR fans because it doesn't meet your own personal standard of excellence.

Why does one have "limited taste" if they can recognize a good movie regardless of how traditional it may be? It's not like just some shallow minded people like SR. Most professional critics and film makers themselves(who likely have a larger pallet than most) recognize it as great as well. Your issue is an entirely personal one, where you view SR fans as a bunch of slack jawed yokels who can't recognize "true art", but the fact of the matter is, most cinephiles can recognize it's greatness, while also appreciating movies that take a more experimental path. They can see what makes a good movie period. I would argue the folks who can't tell the difference between SR and some fluff, are the ones with a limited pallet. Like a metal head, or jazz snob who can't appreciate any other form of music, because it's too "basic", and they're just sooo above it all.

As far as Marvel goes, what are you talking about? Those movies for the most part are both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. Who are all these people making fun of others for liking them? Some anonymous folks on the internet? Who cares? Those movie get their due, but you're not going to please everyone of course.

I wouldn't say I view everyone who likes it in that fashion, I mean I like it myself and happily give it a watch ever few years when I catch it on TV.

I can't say that I do strongly "care" yet this conservation is "some anonymous folks on the internet" isn't it? not everything that gets posts reflects strongly held convictions.

Yes though I do value the opinions of people who look to exposure themselves more fully to an art form over those who do not. That doesn't need to be a negative judgement of those who do not as people of course and there are many art forms I haven't bothered to explore much yet I'm not going to lecture people on opera or poetry.

I feel rather the same about Nolan, I'v enjoyed all of his work I'v seen but honestly I think its overpraised on the net along the same lines.

I’m watching Atlantics on Netflix. It got second place at Cannes and it is boring as hell. Had to take a nap in the middle of it. Most of these festival movies are a chore for get through.

Back