PC or Console - Which one do you prefer?

My platform is

• Total voters
If I had more expendable income I'd say PC, but I can't get into the habit of buying a $1000+ rig and constantly upgrading parts.

The PC gaming experience is far preferable to me for the most part. Hugely customizable experience, a bigger library of games, free to play online, mods, etc.

The console experience is so chill though. I can enjoy my living room's 65" tv and superior sound system, on a way more comfortable couch than my computer desk/chair. It's easier to game with people in the room with me or if my gf wants to be in the same room she can watch me play The Last of Us 2 and enjoy it cinematically.

I did have a good solution a few years ago though, when I hooked up my gaming PC to the living room TV and used that exclusively for all PC related things. I used a wireless mouse and small keyboard in my lap and an Xbox controller for games. The only issue was that strategy games and other keyboard and mouse-heavy experiences were virtually unplayable with that set up.

My dream scenario is to have a great console set up plus a great PC set up and just go back and forth whenever the mood strikes.

full

1C1e.gif

Console, but only because i cant stand PC controls.

Console, but only because i cant stand PC controls.
Using a controller is as simple as plugging it in with a USB-cable these days; the same cord you use to charge your phone. This is true for prior Windows versions, but it's troubleshooting-free with Windows 10.

If the controller is bluetooth-capable, and so is your PC (laptops always are these days), you don't even have to do that. You just have to pair them. This is flawless for Xbox controllers or Xinput controllers. Any PC game you can play on a console already has the same mappings the console version uses. BTW, if your PC isn't bluetooth-capable, adding bluetooth capability is $10 with a USB-adapter.

With the Playstation controllers or other non-Xinput controllers, at worst, you have to fire up a free little program called DS4Windows. This program doesn't even need to be installed (i.e. it doesn't even need you to modify your Windows registry). It can be launched as a "portable" program from an executable every time. Voila. The PC now recognizes it as an Xbox controller, effectively. Everything works automatically with it, these days. Steam, Epic, EA, Uplay, GOG, even emulation software.

Using a controller is as simple as plugging it in with a USB-cable these days; the same cord you use to charge your phone. This is true for prior Windows versions, but it's troubleshooting-free with Windows 10.

If the controller is bluetooth-capable, and so is your PC (laptops always are these days), you don't even have to do that. You just have to pair them. This is flawless for Xbox controllers or Xinput controllers. Any PC game you can play on a console already has the same mappings the console version uses. BTW, if your PC isn't bluetooth-capable, adding bluetooth capability is $10 with a USB-adapter.

With the Playstation controllers or other non-Xinput controllers, at worst, you have to fire up a free little program called DS4Windows. This program doesn't even need to be installed (i.e. it doesn't even need you to modify your Windows registry). It can be launched as a "portable" program from an executable every time. Voila. The PC now recognizes it as an Xbox controller, effectively. Everything works automatically with it, these days. Steam, Epic, EA, Uplay, GOG, even emulation software.

Id have to google what a non xinput controller is. Computers are half a mystery to me. I can surf the web, prevent a virus and thats it.

I had to have my buddy dummy proof my N64 emulator and program my controller for it which i dont need now as i bought an N64.

The trade off between PC and console to me isnt worth bothering with really. Hell i borderline threw out my ps4 just on setup.

Last edited:
Id have to google what a non xinput controller is. Computers are half a mystery to me. I can surf the web, prevent a virus and thats it.
I'm saying that any dual-analog controller (the kind with two joysticks) that isn't an Xbox/Xinput controller will still work just as seamlessly as an Xbox controller with DS4Windows running. This is true even if paired over bluetooth. That's because gamers will save money by buying these off-brand options. Example-- this is the same controller with two different buying portals sold under different "brands":
https://www.amazon.com/Bigaint-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Bluetooth/dp/B07GCFRDRC/
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wireless-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Charging/dp/B07HMY3FXR/
51sD9HgAo3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I'm telling you it's nearly as simple as a console now. Even with consoles you typically have to pair the controller out of the box. Here's your flow chart:

(1) Connect controller via USB cord or pair it via Bluetooth.
Is it Xbox/Xinput Controller?
-- Yes? Voila! You're done
-- No? Proceed to Step #2
(2) Download DS4 Windows. Run.
Voila! You're done

After that you may have to switch from Keyboard + Mouse after launching the game to Controller inside the Settings menu. Depends on the game/launcher.

I'm saying that any dual-analog controller (the kind with two joysticks) that isn't an Xbox/Xinput controller will still work just as seamlessly as an Xbox controller with DS4Windows running. This is true even if paired over bluetooth. That's because gamers will save money by buying these off-brand options. Example-- this is the same controller with two different buying portals sold under different "brands":
https://www.amazon.com/Bigaint-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Bluetooth/dp/B07GCFRDRC/
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wireless-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Charging/dp/B07HMY3FXR/
51sD9HgAo3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I'm telling you it's nearly as simple as a console now. Even with consoles you typically have to pair the controller out of the box. Here's your flow chart:

(1) Connect controller via USB cord or pair it via Bluetooth.
Is it Xbox/Xinput Controller?
-- Yes? Voila! You're done
-- No? Proceed to Step #2
(2) Download DS4 Windows. Run.
Voila! You're done

After that you may have to switch from Keyboard + Mouse after launching the game to Controller inside the Settings menu. Depends on the game/launcher.

I like the X1 controller cause I can use the audio port on the controller for my headphones as long as I have the new USB adapter.

I like the X1 controller cause I can use the audio port on the controller for my headphones as long as I have the new USB adapter.
I had an xbox 360 controller. Piece of junk broke after only 8 years of hard use. :p

Just use my PS4 controllers now since FF14 and all my steam games use it without any extra software, and I have no use for them anymore.

I had an xbox 360 controller. Piece of junk broke after only 8 years of hard use. :p

Just use my PS4 controllers now since FF14 and all my steam games use it without any extra software, and I have no use for them anymore.

Yea I was going to just use my PS4 controller but I don't think the audio port works with headphones plugged in. That feature a lone was worth getting an X1 controller. I played with my son nearby who loves to sing his ABCs and blast all his other learning software\games.

It's been mentioned a few times before but I think it's worth repeating since alot of folks use it as a point of detraction against PC: you can connect your computer to a large TV-sized display. you can connect a controller to a PC and have it working right away.

RTS games seems like they would be darn near unplayable on consoles.

I think the only mutually exclusive advantage consoles have over PC are console exclusive games and perhaps local multiplayer is more convenient if there are 4 players and your PC does not have 4 available USB ports.

- guy who plays PC games on a controller with a 40 inch display

It's been mentioned a few times before but I think it's worth repeating since alot of folks use it as a point of detraction against PC: you can connect your computer to a large TV-sized display. you can connect a controller to a PC and have it working right away.

RTS games seems like they would be darn near unplayable on consoles.

I think the only mutually exclusive advantage consoles have over PC are console exclusive games and perhaps local multiplayer is more convenient if there are 4 players and your PC does not have 4 available USB ports.

- guy who plays PC games on a controller with a 40 inch display

There's also way less cheater on console vs PC for multiplayer games. I have my PC hooked up the same way though. I don't even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse connected to it right now. I'm going to move it all upstairs soon but I'm waiting until I get a new TV for the upstairs bedroom.

Back