Tech PEB's Motion Simulator thread (for Racing Games and Flight Simulation)

How hard is it to run flight simulator 2020 in VR ? Might look into it this Summer (on a quest 2) but have heard such a wide range of opinions on how much GPU is needed and i've also heard the last 2 major patches have made it more optimized. I'm under the impression that for at least medium settings your looking at a 3080/6800xt level card

Actually my older system is running great with MFS on an RTX 3060 then moved up to a 3070 never had much problem with ether the Oculus Quest 2 or HP Reverb G2 update. Not a HP pitchman but the Reverb G2 rocks with Flight Simulator 2020. The only thing I would wait for is the pancake optics coming out for hopefully HP, HTC because Oculus Quest pro just to expensive right now. I think Primax Crystal looks interesting but it costs as much as my HTC Vive Pro 2 headset at 1400 dollars and I have not implemented it on my simulator because even though it is higher resolution then the HP reverb you really don't see it. For seated games the HP or if you have the money HTC Vive Pro 2 is the way to go to many nagging issues right now to recommend the quest 2. But reality waiting for new headsets seems to be a good option till beginning of next year.

My updated actuator design getting some enhancements to make it smaller more compact and lighter including carbon fiber parts. It's going to get air shocks too to improve ride confort.

full

full

Updated again my actuator design made it smaller an easier to install.

Last edited:
This is an updated photo of my actuator design getting closer to being finished. I added a few things but most obvious is the front screen on the coupler.

full

Update on the actuators now that I have finalized much of the design of the parts to be used in the unit.

full

Last edited:
A quick update for now I finally got around to the color printing end of my 3D printer by adding a potential business name. May have to make the text stick out a little more some of the bottom text got pulled off but still looks good.

full

Almost finished my frame supports for my simulator. They are the carbon fiber pieces holding the extruded aluminum frame to the chassis of the simulator. It allows the actuators to be attached and my g-force simulator attachment that I am developing to be connected to for experiencing high g loads. The extruded aluminum frame will be made shorter overtime as I see what I need.

full

Redesigned my frame support bracket to make it easier to place. The box at the bottom for all the computing an drivers for the simulator. It's a server box that I am redesigning to hold drivers and controllers.

full

The second frame in place waiting for one more bracket to be finished printing.

full

Last edited:
Here is the newest photo of my new motion simulator development. It using extrusion to allow people to use popular higher end driving aids and flight yokes. The big box at the bottom is to install all the drivers and computer hardware it supports rack mounting.

full

Here is the newest photo of my new motion simulator development. It using extrusion to allow people to use popular higher end driving aids and flight yokes. The big box at the bottom is to install all the drivers and computer hardware it supports rack mounting.

full

this puts my couch and controller to shame

needless to say i still enjoyed crashing my cessna into the statue of liberty yesterday.

Reactions: PEB
this puts my couch and controller to shame

needless to say i still enjoyed crashing my cessna into the statue of liberty yesterday.
I am hoping I will be able to experience the impact of an airplane crash lol. That's under development.

Testing the new actuator design going to make the bottom out of aluminum right now it is just 3D printed.

The clanking sound would drive me nuts that's why I did not design a z axis motion front to back instead working on a motorized seatbelt system with a type of load cell. He is using the front to back motion to pull and loosen the belts without any load cell.

Last edited:
When someone says you can feel it through the Xbox/ps5 controller I say that's cute. 1000 watt buttkicker is mine. Lol

full

Back