Post Your Gloves/Gear

Icheon farmer’s winnings are just older winnings. You can tell they’re older winnings by the shape of the thumb. Back then Velcro and laces had different padding between gloves. Winning always makes changes to their gear, from leather to padding to shape, they just don’t announce it. The current the padding for 12-16oz should all be the same though. FYI here’s 16 oz (newer looking) and 14 oz (older looking).

full

full

Also the winning shortage is mostly because china is buying a lot of winning stock and the factory isn’t able to keep up after quarantine. It seems like 10-20 pairs a week at least
Any particular reason people from China are buying up more Winning gloves than usual?

Any particular reason people from China are buying up more Winning gloves than usual?

That's a bit of a complicated answer I think. Mainly because boxing is growing in popularity, it's an expensive white collar sport in the first tier cities, rising purchasing power, and general culture. Around a quarter to half of the people I see in gyms in Shanghai use winnings, similar in beijing, not a lot of mid market options here, so it's either very cheap or winnings. I think China still places a lot of value on brand names and buying the best over settling for halfway there options. That and there's a large culture of importing goods through "daigou" with luxury goods like LV and Chanel, resellers tend to buy up all the stock and daigou back to china to sell for a small markup, the demand is there for people wanting to buy the best and seems to be growing. To put into perspective, gyms here start out at 1k+ annual with some at 1.5k/6mo and 1 on 1 PT's average around 100$ per hour so a pair of winnings to show off a bit is basically only 3-4 PT's.

Basically, because the purchasing power is there and the volume/number of people coming into boxing is a lot/growing. China doesn't seem to like to settle for mid tier, either super cheap 50$ or under aiba gloves or straight to winnings. I've only seen 2 pair of top boxers here as reference but probably 100 pairs of winnings while I've been here.

My personal viewpoint at least

That's a bit of a complicated answer I think. Mainly because boxing is growing in popularity, it's an expensive white collar sport in the first tier cities, rising purchasing power, and general culture. Around a quarter to half of the people I see in gyms in Shanghai use winnings, similar in beijing, not a lot of mid market options here, so it's either very cheap or winnings. I think China still places a lot of value on brand names and buying the best over settling for halfway there options. That and there's a large culture of importing goods through "daigou" with luxury goods like LV and Chanel, resellers tend to buy up all the stock and daigou back to china to sell for a small markup, the demand is there for people wanting to buy the best and seems to be growing. To put into perspective, gyms here start out at 1k+ annual with some at 1.5k/6mo and 1 on 1 PT's average around 100$ per hour so a pair of winnings to show off a bit is basically only 3-4 PT's.

Basically, because the purchasing power is there and the volume/number of people coming into boxing is a lot/growing. China doesn't seem to like to settle for mid tier, either super cheap 50$ or under aiba gloves or straight to winnings. I've only seen 2 pair of top boxers here as reference but probably 100 pairs of winnings while I've been here.

My personal viewpoint at least
Interesting perspective on the boxing in your city.

If you ever get a chance it would be cool to see some pictures of the shops that sell gloves and pictures of the gym(s) where you train.

Thank you for your posts.

Here are some pics from the gym I train at.
It's near Tokyo.
** Some glove pictures since it's a glove and gear thread. :)
SmartSelect_20210723-082246_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210723-082610_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210723-082810_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210723-082444_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

If you ever get a chance it would be cool to see some pictures of the shops that sell gloves and pictures of the gym(s) where you train.

It's near Tokyo.
View attachment 869398

View attachment 869399

View attachment 869400

View attachment 869401

Looking at your gym makes me sad, mines a dump

Last edited:
Just got my classic from @Edgar Martinez all I can say is amazing fit if you like snug fitting, small profiled gloves these are the ones for you!

Over lockdown I've purchased a fair few mexican branded gloves 5 in total (Campeon, Classics, Casanova, New sporting & Gil) and yet to get them on in the gym due to covid and also working away.

I know its been done to death but in a few days going to give an initial thoughts review and a comparison between them all, won't be anything lengthy just my personal opinion of what I think straight out the box prior to using them and then maybe a review once I've took them to the gym....but I doubt that as it'll take forever <Eek2.0>

It's near Tokyo.
View attachment 869398

View attachment 869399

View attachment 869400

View attachment 869401

Unfortunately, I don't know of any B&M shops that sell Winnings, everything is done through E-commerce here. I also realized I don't take too many pictures of my gyms here but here are some stills from sparring videos/online photos of my gyms here plus a photo of FLY X's next to Fly leather gloves!

full

full

full

full

full

full

I really need to get some proper boxing gloves. Used Rival RS11-v's for a while, don't like that they're not leather. Have used mostly Thai style Twins for training, but I want some proper boxing gloves just for boxing.

Don't feel worthy or probably have the budget for Winning. Upper limit is 250 something euros. Are the Venum pro line any good?

I really need to get some proper boxing gloves. Used Rival RS11-v's for a while, don't like that they're not leather. Have used mostly Thai style Twins for training, but I want some proper boxing gloves just for boxing.

Don't feel worthy or probably have the budget for Winning. Upper limit is 250 something euros. Are the Venum pro line any good?

Hey @MitchVDP , if you want to try some genuine leather, I suggest you go for less industrialized brands. As those tend to reduce costs of materials and their called "Genuine leather" may be too thin or not as raw as a real Cow or Goat hide. I haven't personally yet used Venum, but I've seen several gloves at my gyms, and its leather doesn't seem so nice - in my opinion.

Genuine leather is one of the elements I like of Mexican gloves. I believe you can try Cleto or any other MX brand from your expected budget. Appreciate Mexican gloves may sometime feel a bit more rough made, so may be one to consider.

It doesn't get more "proper boxing" than a Mexican made glove, and those fall well within your budget, even for custom options. If you decide to go that route, Edgar is the guy to go to.

Not really a sexy brand in boxing but honestly best pair of gloves in the 100-150$ range are Adidas AdiSpeed laces. It's one of the closest clone of Winning for a ridicule price high quality genuine leather.
In the same range, you have the Top Boxer Win1 that have a lot of positive review, I have the Alien, more of a puncher gloves, but the quality of fabrication and the padding are very good, so I guess the positives reviews for the Win1 are legit.

RingToCage Japanese Style are also very legit clone of Winning.

If you want just one pair of glove, I suggest you to take the more protective, mostly Winning clone. Mexican gloves are good, but using just them again and again will mostly make yours knuckles hurt at one moment, depending how you train of course.

Fairtex BVG9 also get a good name around here too!!! Supposed to be good gloves!

Does anyone have any recommendations for protective gloves? I know Winnings are good, but I can't justify spending for Winnings.

Hey @MitchVDP , if you want to try some genuine leather, I suggest you go for less industrialized brands. As those tend to reduce costs of materials and their called "Genuine leather" may be too thin or not as raw as a real Cow or Goat hide. I haven't personally yet used Venum, but I've seen several gloves at my gyms, and its leather doesn't seem so nice - in my opinion.

Genuine leather is one of the elements I like of Mexican gloves. I believe you can try Cleto or any other MX brand from your expected budget. Appreciate Mexican gloves may sometime feel a bit more rough made, so may be one to consider.
I see, thanks. I'm definitely interested in a pair of cleto's. But from my understanding they're punchers gloves, and i'm afraid my hands won't like that very much. Wish I knew someone with Cleto's so I could try a few rounds.

I see, thanks. I'm definitely interested in a pair of cleto's. But from my understanding they're punchers gloves, and i'm afraid my hands won't like that very much. Wish I knew someone with Cleto's so I could try a few rounds.
Have u tried fairtex bvg9

Quarantine finally finished and I gotta chance to try my winnings.

And honestly the flys are better in every way except that the new padding is dense now so not as good for sparring

The fly premiums have better liner, better weight distribution. More comfortable, better wrist protection. And better knuckle protection.

The fly xs with the old design are even better except knuckle protection but they're softer and great for sparring

Overall I'll need to try them all side by side but I'm a bit disappointed with my winnings

I wore a pair of Winning gloves today when I trained. I feel obligated to use them every now and then because I spent so much on them. Good gloves, not great. I am a Mexican glove kinda guy. Not because I am tough or a hard puncher. It’s because I like to punch and I know how to punch and Mexican gloves are made to punch. If your primary criteria for a boxing glove is protection of your hands, get Winning. If you love to punch at the limits of your physical ability, get a Mexican glove. If you put a Mexican glove next to a Winning glove you can see the intent of the maker. Winning are made to protect your hands. Mexican gloves are made to punch things. If you like highly engineered gloves, get a Winning glove. If you like a handcrafted old world charm, brought to life by the culture that bred the thoroughbred fighters of the boxing world, get a Mexican glove. Some people complain about the need to “break in” a Mexican glove and how uncomfortable they are when new. The best a Winning glove will ever be is the day you remove it from that distinctive Winnig box. Not so with Mexican gloves. The leather is stiff and tight because they are designed to be punched into a custom glove. The initial discomfort, if any, is a very minor inconvenience for what is to come. Because the leather is so much more superior to any other leather, it will stretch and mold when exposed to heat and sweat. The natural latex padding is also a major asset to your hands. Why are all the major glove makers advertising their “foams” and “space-age padding”? Because latex is natural rubber and is expensive to obtain and hard to work with. But there is no better shock dispersion substance made. In addition to heat and sweat being good for Mexican leather, it is also good for the latex. The more you punch in Mexican gloves, the better they get. I have a pair of Casanova’s that probably have a couple of hundred rounds on them. They feel like they were made for my hands. I also have a pair of Lopez gloves that are probably the most comfortable gloves I own. Yes, I own a pair of Winning gloves. I had to have them. But it’s like buying a high powered rifle and then complaining about the recoil. Like I said, the intent of the glove maker is apparent. Mexican gloves are intended to be worn by the warriors who made the Mexican fighting style famous. Ask yourself, why does every single major glove maker on the earth manufacture and market a “Mexican” glove. Title, Ringside (back in the day before they became a Reyes distributor) Everlast (the best glove they make is their MX line) Fairtex, Boon and Rival. Because try as they might, marketing their bullshit microfiber, injected molded foam, tri and quad layered padding, their is no substitute for an authentic Mexican made boxing glove. No, they will not e-mail you as each step of production occurs. No, they will not return your seven texts a day. No, they will not return your voice mail. But if left alone, they will make a pair of gloves that you can hand to your son and say “..I used to train in these…” They will make the best gloves you’ll ever put on your hands. If you are a glove collector like me, who actually uses every pair he owns, and enjoys that distinctive “pop” on the heavy bag or that “whomp” on your sparring partner’s headgear, these gloves will give you years of use. In total, Mexican gloves are designed to be worn by stud punchers. You like to cardio box, Fight Camp has a sale on. You want boxing gloves designed to be rugged durable and transfer kinetic energy, Mexican boxing gloves are for you.

Back