Power hand forward (Right hand lead) - The Orthodox MMA stance

The clip highlights a knockdown from right lead. Usman can fight from both stances and swtiches but the knockdown came from that.
An solely left lead orthodox fighter would not switch stances to evade a fighter versed in both would.

You really don't have a clue. Yes he switches, but spends 90% of his time in orthodox. In the same fright he badly hurt burns from a right hand from orthodox stance in the 2nd round and lite him up with jabs from orthodox. Burns was already compromised in the 3rd when usman evaded a kick changing stances, and threw a right Jab from southpaw to counter the kick.

Usman had far more success and landed more damaging blows from orthodox stance. Having a right lead hand was such a minor factor in him winning the fight you must of not watched the fight to come up with your views on it.

And of course people who only stay in one stance change stances briefly to avoid attacks. It's called footwork. It's not uncommen to use that sort of evasive footwork when burns had been landing a few solid leg kicks earlier in the fight. Especially as in your clip he changed stances to avoid the leg kick

Go watch the whole fight before stating sily shit.

There was reset after the missed right kick when Usman switched stances. It wasn't an immediate counter right as you imply.
They both backed out a bit then reset but Usman stayed in right lead. Burns then entered again with another kick and got caught coming in.
So time stamping the punch from the right lead is what we are focussing on and no, the switch was not the most important part since they reset and backed out a bit after missed kick and stance change then came in again and the scenario would be equally valid for a right lead fighter as for a guy who can switch stances.

I've just seen you edit after my reply, so let me be more clear, rather than you miss quote me.

I didn't imply there was an immediate counter. I said he evaded the kick by changing stances. then countered the next kick.

Your just repeating what I said and claiming you noticed it, after I showed it to you.

Glad to hear you agree with me though

Your point is still silly about referencing 'orthodox' to punch a guy lying flat on his back. Gnp we don't use such terminology

"we don't use such terminology" that's funny coming from a guy who wants to change the terminology of orthodox and southpaw.

As I've said, I'm talking about the first punch after burns fell down in your clip did the damage. And I've mentioned he went into orthodox stance to throw it for extra power, because the dynamics of that specific punch was very simular to a standing straight cross.

You on the other hand said gravity was the reason for the power. If you can't see what I am telling you, then I can't help you.

You really don't have a clue. Yes he switches, but spends 90% of his time in orthodox. In the same fright he badly hurt burns from a right hand from orthodox stance in the 2nd round and lite him up with jabs from orthodox. Burns was already compromised in the 3rd when usman evaded a kick changing stances, and threw a right Jab from southpaw to counter the kick.

Usman had far more success and landed more damaging blows from orthodox stance. Having a right lead hand was such a minor factor in him winning the fight you must of not watched the fight to come up with your views on it.

And of course people who only stay in one stance change stances briefly to avoid attacks. It's called footwork. It's not uncommen to use that sort of evasive footwork when burns had been landing a few solid leg kicks earlier in the fight. Especially as in your clip he changed stances to avoid the leg kick

Go watch the whole fight before stating sily shit.
Stop trying to run around and avoid and change the main point.

The knockdown occurred from a right lead stance after a reset,with Burns attempting a kick and Usman countering. End of.

So it is was equally applicable to a right hand lead fighter in that position since it began with him in a right lead stance which is what I was highlighting.

I wasn't commenting on if Usman was fighting mainly in orthodox during the fight but he can and does fight in both stances.

But the end to the fight showed a nice straight right leading stance which is relevant to fighters who fight that way or switch into it like Usman.

And you are simply wrong still, to say that the first kick and then stance switch by Usman was the most important since they both backed out and reset then Burns came in again for another kick with Usman in right lead when the knockdown happened.

It's ok to be wrong you know, this is learning experience you will be a better coach if you can admit your mistakes and misanalysis at times.

Stop trying to run around and avoid and change the main point.

The knockdown occurred from a right lead stance after a reset,with Burns attempting a kick and Usman countering. End of.

So it is was equally applicable to a right hand lead fighter in that position since it began with him in a right lead stance which is what I was highlighting.

I wasn't commenting on if Usman was fighting mainly in orthodox during the fight but he can and does fight in both stances.

But the end to the fight showed a nice straight right leading stance which is relevant to fighters who fight that way or switch into it like Usman.

And you are simply wrong still, to say that the first kick and then stance switch by Usman was the most important since they both backed out and reset then Burns came in again for another kick with Usman in right lead when the knockdown happened.

It's ok to be wrong you know, this is learning experience you will be a better coach if you can admit your mistakes and misanalysis at times.

I didn't say that either. You hear what you want to hear.

I said Burns was already compromised from getting hurt in round 2 (by a orthodox usman). which is why the leg kicks that got countered at the end of the fight didn't have much behind them, so was easily countered. I also said it was the timing of the right Jab that put him down not the power. As it was a counter to the kick causing a off-balance. But you claim its because the jab had "KO or stun power" (from your original post about it). That is were we differ from opinion. I'm not claiming to be right on our difference of opinion. I just have my opinion that's different to yours about the knock down.

All the other stuff, you keep changing your tune on from your origanal position and it's hard to keep up, as you like to pull quotes from what I say, take them out of context and try and make out I meant something different to what I said. You've done it on other threads and it's pathetic.

You also just repeat back what people say claiming you said it first and claiming the other person who origanally said it meant something else. It's very strange the way you debate.

But like you said, it's good to re watch change your opinion. So all in all, its nice to see you do that (although you are pretending not too) But in all honesty, you'd be better off watching the whole fight before claiming you found mma's answer for the "new" orthodox stance (I suspect you've gone back and watched it now, and you will claim in your next post you had seen it already)

Last edited:
What is the orthodox stance in capoeira

No, you're clearly wrong in your initial analysis and now your trying to save face by twisting and turning. I was going to leave it but since you are trying to twist things lamely to cover yourself then accuse me of doing that, I'll spell it out in your own words .

And I've just noticed you time stamped your video to take out the first few seconds, this is the most important bit of the video, as it shows the set up that led to the initial knock down punch (where usman got the read of his kick and adapted to counter).

No, it wasn't 'a setup that led to the knockdown'. He switched stances to avoid the kick then remained in right lead as they backed out and reset, then countered the next kick attempt with the knockdown straight lead.

That's not a 'setup'.

You say you want to be a coach, well you need to notice things like the set up of the right hand, and the timing of the punch being more of a contributer than the "power" of having strong hand forward.

I think someone needs to do some self reflecting.

No, you're clearly wrong in your initial analysis and now your trying to save face by twisting and turning. I was going to leave it but since you are trying to twist things lamely to cover yourself then accuse me of doing that, I'll spell it out in your own words .

No, it wasn't 'a setup that led to the knockdown'. He switched stances to avoid the kick then remained in right lead as they backed out and reset, then countered the next kick attempt with the knockdown straight lead.

That's not a 'setup'.

I think someone needs to do some self reflecting.

That's your problem, you claim people are wrong when the real answer is that, unless you are usman yourself, no one really knows the truth. You don't know what he saw when he evaded the first kick. To claim you have the answers is stupid. We all have opinions, so stop thinking your right about everything

The set up that I'm talking about is, (that you are unable to see) is Usman seeing Burn's low kick has lost its power and having the read on it, enough to avoid with a simple stance switch. So when burns threw another one usman reacted different and capitalised, he capitalised by countering instead of evading. I feel after he evaded the first one, he thought, ill put myself in the same range and if he throws it again I will adjust. He had his eyes set on the chin, and see that opening from the first kick (possibly)

The 1st leg kick that usman evaded, he may of noticed an opening, so used the opertunity to counter, after letting burns feel like he was safe to spam un-answered leg kicks (like the one before).

If you had cornered fighters, you would know these types of things are set ups, off of opertunitys that present themselves live, and coaches and fighters are always looking out for them. It may not be what happened, but to me it is a possibility, as I personally see it straight away when he threw the 1st leg kick (that you time stamped out). I would of been saying to usman from the corner, draw in another lowkick and counter, as he is wide open! (he didn't need to change his stance back, just to find the right range, so is irrelevant that he stayed southpaw). So to me, it's an integral build up to the finish that you time stamped out to make your point stronger.

You can call into question my coaching all you want, but you don't know me, you have dreams of coaching, but lack any real knowledge about combat and what it takes. So, when you have bundles of British Champs from as young as 7, a 16 year old championship belt holder and 98kg adult undefeated amatuer fighters under your tutelage. A full time fully kitted out facility that you built up from nothing, and when you are making some decent money from your membership numbers. All while working full time and supporting a family. Then I'll take your insults more seriously. But me having to write so specifically and carefully my points, because otherwise you don't get what I'm talking about, just goes to show me, that you have a real lack of experience and fight IQ.

Nice example in the recent Usman title defence from the power hand forward straight lead/'jab'
(As has been said when it is power hand forward it's not called a jab anymore but a straight lead and it has KO and stun power)

Lol.

Donald+Cerrone+Drops+and+Rear+Naked+Chokes+Edson+Barboza+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

giphy.gif

That's your problem, you claim people are wrong when the real answer is that, unless you are usman yourself, no one really knows the truth. You don't know what he saw when he evaded the first kick. To claim you have the answers is stupid. We all have opinions, so stop thinking your right about everything

The set up that I'm talking about is, (that you are unable to see) is Usman seeing Burn's low kick has lost its power and having the read on it, enough to avoid with a simple stance switch. So when burns threw another one usman reacted different and capitalised, he capitalised by countering instead of evading. I feel after he evaded the first one, he thought, ill put myself in the same range and if he throws it again I will adjust. He had his eyes set on the chin, and see that opening from the first kick (possibly)

The 1st leg kick that usman evaded, he may of noticed an opening, so used the opertunity to counter, after letting burns feel like he was safe to spam un-answered leg kicks (like the one before).

If you had cornered fighters, you would know these types of things are set ups, off of opertunitys that present themselves live, and coaches and fighters are always looking out for them. It may not be what happened, but to me it is a possibility, as I personally see it straight away when he threw the 1st leg kick (that you time stamped out). I would of been saying to usman from the corner, draw in another lowkick and counter, as he is wide open! (he didn't need to change his stance back, just to find the right range, so is irrelevant that he stayed southpaw). So to me, it's an integral build up to the finish that you time stamped out to make your point stronger.

You can call into question my coaching all you want, but you don't know me, you have dreams of coaching, but lack any real knowledge about combat and what it takes. So, when you have bundles of British Champs from as young as 7, a 16 year old championship belt holder and 98kg adult undefeated amatuer fighters under your tutelage. A full time fully kitted out facility that you built up from nothing, and when you are making some decent money from your membership numbers. All while working full time and supporting a family. Then I'll take your insults more seriously. But me having to write so specifically and carefully my points, because otherwise you don't get what I'm talking about, just goes to show me, that you have a real lack of experience and fight IQ.
Well at least amidst that rambling you admit that it's simply your opinion.
Thats not the way the term setup is used most of the time and it's much more likely Usman simply switched to avoid then stayed in right lead then saw an opening and got the knockdown.

To say he was doing a 'setup' would be more on a psychological level which would a guess from you, it was not a technical setup for the counter as it was after they disengaged.

As is clear, doing a bit of coaching does not mean you can't be wrong about fight analysis.

Well at least amidst that rambling you admit that it's simply your opinion.
Thats not the way the term setup is used most of the time and it's much more likely Usman simply switched to avoid then stayed in right lead then saw an opening and got the knockdown.

To say he was doing a 'setup' would be more on a psychological level which would a guess from you, it was not a technical setup for the counter as it was after they disengaged.

As is clear, doing a bit of coaching does not mean you can't be wrong about fight analysis.

So making live adjustments from seeing openings by laying traps for people as a fight goes on and setting them up to be countered "isn't the way the term set up. Is used" (coming from a guy that has never fought or cornered someone).

Yawn, I've humored your nonsense for long enough now. It's been fun to watch you back track and keep changing your previous statements, but after a while of chatting to a someone who has a martial arts background on par with spacetime, and a delusion factor of IK, I can only cope with so much engagement for one night.

But it's is fun to see your little fantasy martial arts brain tick and give us all insite on how little you actually know about the world of real combat sports.

Be careful of all that dangerous gravity you mentioned being a factor in punching power, you wouldn't want to hurt someone

Last edited:
So making live adjustments from seeing openings by laying traps for people as a fight goes on and setting them up to be countered "isn't the way the term set up. Is used" (coming from a guy that has never fought or cornered someone).

Yawn, I've humored your nonsense for long enough now. It's been fun to watch you back track and keep changing your previous statements, but after a while of chatting to a someone who has a martial arts background on par with spacetime, and a delusion factor of IK, I can only cope with so much engagement for one night.

But it's is fun to see your little fantasy martial arts brain tick and give us all insite on how little you actually know about the world of real combat sports.

Be careful of all that dangerous gravity you mentioned being a factor in punching power, you wouldn't want to hurt someone
Regardless of if it was deliberate it doesn't change the fact that it was also applicable to a right hand lead fighter since it happened in that stance and was a knockdown from a straight lead.

Your guess that it was a 'setup by laying a trap' is just that,a guess. It could have been but in that case it would not have been an endorsement for purely orthodox fighters as you claim, but for switch stance fighters capable of striking well in both stances which Usman is since he stayed in the right lead stance after the reset.

I agree, despite that bit of coaching experience your failure of logic is a limiting factor and makes it hard for your little mind to understand these points it seems.

And as I've said before, what is fantasy martial arts? Even competitive Judo or wrestling done on a mat is technically 'fantasy' since if I throw or footsweep you on concrete it's likely good night or worse. That's not fantasy.

So would you go to a National Judo team or Machado BJJ school and declare "none of you have ever fought before, you all do fantasy martial arts"? See how that would end for you.
That attitude shows you are still, basically a fucktard yourself after these years despite your little coaching gig which has done nothing but trumped you up to the current egotistical level. Maybe in future years it can help you develop other much needed personal qualities lacking.

And to think that ring fighting is exactly the same as outside the ring is another fantasy you hold since martial arts were not designed for the ring. Remember that next time you throw the term out there.

MMA would be a different sport if they allowed biting.

Regardless of if it was deliberate it doesn't change the fact that it was also applicable to a right hand lead fighter since it happened in that stance and was a knockdown from a straight lead.

Why are you changing the argument again? I can't keep up with all the arguments you keep trying to have with me. Your replys always move on to something else after you subtly admit you was wrong about the previous one by trying to brush it under the carpet

Your guess that it was a 'setup by laying a trap' is just that,a guess.

Well yeah, but again your now trying to change the discussion by trying to argue if this is right or wrong, when I never claimed it was right. It was only mentioned in the first place because you time stamped out him being stood othadox. You then asked for proof of relivance, as you claimed it had nothing to do with the finish. My point is that it had. You are now moving the argument away from that now saying about it being a guess...well its as much as a guess and you saying that the moment you time stamped out is not relivent. That's the point. You end up arguing against your own point without knowing

Time stamping it is very simular to you using Usman as an example for your "power hand forward the new orthodox" crap. Usman did more damage in the same fight from a othadox stance. So you are making a bull shit argument based on taking stuff out of context and being totally disingenuous

At the end of it all you then just state simple facts that I've never argued against, and after trying to claim I'm arguing the opposite. It's so strange. Stop bouncing around different things and changing your mind every 5 minutes. It's such and strange conversation

It could have been but in that case it would not have been an endorsement for purely orthodox fighters as you claim

As I claim? What are you talking about? Just complete nonsense again.

So would you go to a National Judo team or Machado BJJ school and declare "none of you have ever fought before

This is another example of you being disingenuous again. We've discussed many times. You know full well I'm talking about your Wing chun training (as it's too dangerous for competition as you say). But it's funny that you run to the arts of judo and BJJ for your defense on non fantisy martial arts. Just goes to show you are learning.

It wasn't long ago that you was in the grappling forum arguing with BJJ guys that their art is useless for self defence, you was telling them that akido is much better...nice to see you've changed your tune on that now too

And to think that ring fighting is exactly the same as outside the ring is another fantasy you hold since martial arts were not designed for the ring. Remember that next time you throw the term out

I've never said this either. Just to clear that little missunderstanding up for you.....again.

I said that training in a competitive art and competing in a ring better equipts you for an altercation outside the ring than training a non competitive art like wing chun. I'm not saying the ring is the same as outside and I have never claimed that. Another example of you taking something out of context and trying to put a spin on it when all your arguments are shown to be flawed

You seem to have a real problem with ring sports, I know you have to justify your zero experience in the ring while trying to sound knowledgeable when commenting on them, but your lack out ring time isn't the problem. It's you talk of fantisy deadly moves and shit like gravity being a factor with punching power.

You have a real. Issue with the ring, perhaps you should ask yourself, why do you think its called a ring when it's square?

Last edited:
Why are you changing the argument again? I can't keep up with all the arguments you keep trying to have with me. Your replys always move on to something else after you subtly admit you was wrong about the previous one by trying to brush it under the carpet

Well yeah, but again your now trying to argue weather this is right or wrong, when I never claimed it was right. It was only mentioned in the first place because before you was saying the few seconds of the video you weirdly time stamped out (because you didn't want us all to see usman in othadox stance) was relivent.

Again you keep stating simple facts that I've never argued against, and after trying to claim I'm arguing the opposite. It's so strange. Stop bouncing around different things and changing your mind every 5 minutes. It's such and strange conversation

This is another example of you being disingenuous again. We've discussed many times. You know full well I'm talking about your Wing chun training (as it's too dangerous for competition as you say). But it's funny that you run to the arts of judo and BJJ for your defense on non fantisy martial arts. Just goes to show you are learning.

It wasn't long ago that you was in the grappling forum arguing with BJJ guys that their art is useless for self defence, you was telling them that akido is much better...nice to see you've changed your tune on that now too

I've never said this either. Just to clear that little missunderstanding up for you.....again.

I said that training in a competitive art and competing in a ring better equipts you for an altercation outside the ring than training a non competitive art like wing chun. I'm not saying the ring is the same as outside and I have never claimed that. Another example of you taking something out of context and trying to put a spin on it when all your arguments are shown to be flawed

You seem to have a real problem with ring sports, I know you have to justify your zero experience in the ring while trying to sound knowledgeable when commenting on them, but your lack out ring time isn't the problem. It's you talk of fantisy deadly moves and shit like gravity being a factor with punching power.

You have a real. Issue with the ring, perhaps you should ask yourself, why do you think its called a ring when it's square?

Wait until he finds out that elbows are no more dangerous in the street than in the ring lmao.
Only reason the street is more dangerous is because you might bounce your head off concrete. He talks about throws and shit in the street being lights out, but he's neglecting the fact he still has to get to the person to do that. It's a lot harder to judo throw someone when they're punching the scone out of ya head before you can grab them.

Wait until he finds out that elbows are no more dangerous in the street than in the ring lmao.
Only reason the street is more dangerous is because you might bounce your head off concrete. He talks about throws and shit in the street being lights out, but he's neglecting the fact he still has to get to the person to do that. It's a lot harder to judo throw someone when they're punching the scone out of ya head before you can grab them.

I don't think he has ever tried to clinch a top level boxer. It's not very plesent at all. He just thinks it will be easy, because that's what fantasy self defence scenarios him and his wing chun buddy's put themselves in when they are in class with all the the soccer mums

I don't think he has ever tried to clinch a top level boxer. It's not very plesent at all. He just thinks it will be easy, because that's what fantasy self defence scenarios him and his wing chun buddy's put themselves in when they are in class with all the the soccer mums
I don't discount some of what he says has merits but majority of it is hypothetical that he has never tested. They don't even need to be a top level fighter, grappling someone who does not want to be grappled is not easy regardless of the situation.

I don't discount some of what he says has merits but majority of it is hypothetical that he has never tested. They don't even need to be a top level fighter, grappling someone who does not want to be grappled is not easy regardless of the situation.
A discussion with him goes like this...

Him: Usman finished a fight because he stands strong hand forward

Me: that's a interesting take on it. how much did that contribute to the win? What happened earlier? Is that his actual favored stance? Did he do more damage before that moment from a different stance?

Him: what do you know, you don't have a clue

Me: try to explain where I'm coming from

Him: ignore ignore, let me get personal then finish by making a statement! Urm, he stood in strong hand forward briefly, it's a fact your stupid. That was my argument all along

I seem to remember him telling you he would beat you up outside the ring. You then told him your experience and he changed his statement to, he would cause you damage

The truth is, he wouldn't land a punch on you

Well yeah, but again your now trying to change the discussion by trying to argue if this is right or wrong, when I never claimed it was right. It was only mentioned in the first place because you time stamped out him being stood othadox. You then asked for proof of relivance, as you claimed it had nothing to do with the finish. My point is that it had. You are now moving the argument away from that now saying about it being a guess...well its as much as a guess and you saying that the moment you time stamped out is not relivent. That's the point. You end up arguing against your own point without knowing

Time stamping it is very simular to you using Usman as an example for your "power hand forward the new orthodox" crap. Usman did more damage in the same fight from a othadox stance. So you are making a bull shit argument based on taking stuff out of context and being totally disingenuous

At the end of it all you then just state simple facts that I've never argued against, and after trying to claim I'm arguing the opposite. It's so strange. Stop bouncing around different things and changing your mind every 5 minutes. It's such and strange conversation

So it seems your strategy when cornered is to:

-Start making shit up that no one said
- Start twisting the main points and hope no one notices.

The Usman vid was posted as an example of a recent knockdown then finish from right hand lead. That's all.
You are the one who got your knickers in a twist about it. I don't dismiss your guesses but they don't discount my original point about the vid either way.

I don't see what the issue is. If I am right, it shows a good example of a knockdown from right lead and applies to right lead fighters
If you are right, it would be kind of a setup and applies to switch stance fighters who can change to and fight in the right lead stance.
We have already said that most fight trainers teach what they are comfortable with which is left lead orthodox. So it's not surprising Usman fights mainly that way but it doesn't mean it would be best for him.

And to get it straight next time you try to misquote me;

-I started with Judo first so there is no WC without Judo for me. They go together perfectly and I have always said Judo or a grappling style needs to integrate with WC. The reason I mention Judo when talking about self defence is because I know what the little fucktards like you will start doing if WC is mentioned. But yes, trained properly that works very well for self defence also.

- I have never in any thread claimed Aikido works, so stop making shit up to suit you.
I have said that wrist locks from Aikido can work for weapons disarms, which they can,and they usually need to be preceeded by a strike first.

- I never claimed that BJJ doesn't work (which is basically a Judo variant anyway), I said that the guard is a vulnerable position to hang out in for self defence which it is.

I mentioned why don't you go to a Judo school and say they can't fight since you seem to think only kickboxing counts as fighting and that grapplers can't fight.

What is a ring exactly? A roped canvas mat with maybe an audience there. You make it sound like it's a mystical thing. You don't think we can put the gloves in and go at it hard sparring? Or grappling full out the intensity same as in fighting which is why Royce could win the UFC? Or conditioning training taking bareknuckle body punches? These form of preparation are enough for many to get to a decent profiency at fighting when combined.

Doing WC has only enhanced my skills since as well as conditioning myself to take and deliver bareknuckle strikes I can hit elbows and close range punches/palms/chops from clinch or parrying range leading to throws or just with framing strikes to finish.

Stepping into the ring isn't even necessarily a guarantee you can use it in real life since it's a controlled environment with a referee. There are numerous cases of amateur or even pro fighters getting beat up by street fighters due to not being prepared for the adrenaline and danger. It's a very good preparation yes, but it's still not a guarantee.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/man-vs-crab-abnormal-behaviours-in-grappling-arts.4137429/

You are the same on the grappling forum as you are on the stand up one. Everyone thinks you are a troll. It's clear you have really basic knowledge, enough to make for an interesting topic. But your never up for a discussion, you want to just impose your thoughts as truth, like a religious nutcase. Your knowledge is just enough for you to show you don't really know what you are talking about when the conversation starts to get more in depth

Everyone was giving you good advice on your grappling thread above and you had to resort to petty insults and make out you know better then everyone(as you always do on this one). The above thread where you bash BJJ for self defence due to some of the things the practioners do in competition, literally is the grappling version of your WC base for MMA thread.

Perhaps instead of telling everyone who does not agree with you (and shows you legit reasons why), instead of calling them narrow minded. Maybe take a look at yourself, maybe you don't have the right answer... Maybe its more a case of you just being naive due to you lack of experience in the field you are talking on. And your obsession with micky mouse martial arts (judo excluded)

Back