Power hand forward (Right hand lead) - The Orthodox MMA stance

Orthodox is when you naturally lead with your left hand and your power side is on your right.

Southpaw is when you naturally lead with your right and your power side is on your left.

However, if you are naturally Southpaw and you switch to your left hand leading, you are not in an Orthodox stance. Your are in a Northpaw stance, due to it being the opposite of South. Conversely, if you are naturally Orthodox and switch to your right hand leading, you are in a Scolidox stance because the prefix 'ortho' means straight and 'scoli' means bent.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/man-vs-crab-abnormal-behaviours-in-grappling-arts.4137429/

You are the same on the grappling forum as you are on the stand up one. Everyone thinks you are a troll. It's clear you have really basic knowledge, enough to make for an interesting topic. But your never up for a discussion, you want to just impose your thoughts as truth, like a religious nutcase. Your knowledge is just enough for you to show you don't really know what you are talking about when the conversation starts to get more in depth

Everyone was giving you good advice on your grappling thread above and you had to resort to petty insults and make out you know better then everyone(as you always do on this one). The above thread where you bash BJJ for self defence due to some of the things the practioners do in competition, literally is the grappling version of your WC base for MMA thread.

Perhaps instead of telling everyone who does not agree with you (and shows you legit reasons why), instead of calling them narrow minded. Maybe take a look at yourself, maybe you don't have the right answer... Maybe its more a case of you just being naive due to you lack of experience in the field you are talking on. And your obsession with micky mouse martial arts (judo excluded)
No, no-one says I am trolling only the ones like you who go on a PMS tantrum when they are countered or point out when you are saying dumb shit.

And yes, thanks for highlighting some of my good threads. Buttscooting is an abnormal grappling behaviour and deviation from martial training. The lack of standing grappling is a weakness of sport BJJ.

The funny thing is you lack the self awareness to realize most of what u say is projecting and actually applies to you,like your religious like belief in 'the canvas ring' and belief that unless anyone,whether Judoka, wrestler, Karateka or just tough sob has stepped in there , they 'cant fight', even if they have competed in related disciplines or conditioned themselves for years.
<45>

Literally everyone in that thread of yours was calling you a troll lol, no one ever agrees with you as you come out with really controversial nonsese based on the few martial arts you train. Most of your opinions has over whelming evidence against it. But everyone else is stupid right?

your religious like belief in 'the canvas ring' and belief that unless anyone,whether Judoka, wrestler, Karateka or just tough sob has stepped in there , they 'cant fight', even if they have competed in related disciplines or conditioned themselves for years.

Yep, I've never said that. I was even extra careful to explain to you my position so you could understand, as I know your autistic brain struggles sometime. But your retardiness has reached a new level as none of it goes in. So we will just leave it there

Good luck with your weapon defence aikido and army of Wing Chun trained MMA fighters who are all gonna look the same and stand strong hand forward, about to take on the world and expose all the trainers out there that don't know what they are doing

Literally everyone in that thread of yours was calling you a troll lol, no one ever agrees with you as you come out with really controversial nonsese based on the few martial arts you train. Most of your opinions has over whelming evidence against it. But everyone else is stupid right?

Yep, I've never said that. I was even extra careful to explain to you my position so you could understand, as I know your autistic brain struggles sometime. But your retardiness has reached a new level as none of it goes in. So we will just leave it there

Good luck with your weapon defence aikido and army of Wing Chun trained MMA fighters who are all gonna look the same and stand strong hand forward, about to take on the world and expose all the trainers out there that don't know what they are doing
Ok,so people posting more examples of what I was saying is 'trolling'...

Just STFU fool.

Keep to your little padded safe space.
Nice to see you retract from saying 'grapplers can't fight because they never fought in a ring' lol- you backdown when you get slapped down, by your attitude this has been the story of your life.

The point of this thread was that for right handed fighters, right lead stance aligns punching, kicking and grappling the best in mma which it does.
Obviously if switch stance is possible this is even better but right lead should be the 'orthodox' in mma this is not boxing.

Ok,so people posting more examples of
Nice to see you retract from saying 'grapplers can't fight because they never fought in a ring' lol- you backdown when you get slapped down, by your attitude this has been the story of your life.

Hahahaha, now I no your a troll. I have never said that. So weird you keep saying it. What are you trying to do, miss quote me to get people to like you? I do grappling. I love grappling. And why are you obsessed with ring sports? I've said sports that compete better equipt you then ones that dont. My comment about why it was called a ring obviously went over your head. I've mentioned stepping in the ring in as a turn of phrase. I'm sorry your little autistic brain reads everything so litually.

I have also said I've competed in both, and for me, it felt different, I felt more pressure fighting in a ring. You then said I am wrong. You shouldn't comment on that though, because you've not qualified. But you seem to think doing a judo comp gives you in sight to me comparing the 2 from lived experience.

You can keep making shit up about me all you want, but I know grapples can fight. I have never said they couldn't. You keep hitting the same drum about me with nothing to back it up

I should of never of fed the troll in the first place...it is fun though. But you are a very strange man and always have to resort to lies to try and be little someone. Very childish

But when people have to plain lie to make themselves shine, it says it all really

Last edited:
The point of this thread was that for right handed fighters, right lead stance aligns punching, kicking and grappling the best in mma which it does.
Obviously if switch stance is possible this is even better but right lead should be the 'orthodox' in mma this is not boxing.

If you want to actually get back to the discussion, the problem I have with this statement is you claiming its correct when it's your opinion. Yes lead hand forward has its positives, and there are better examples than Usman. Being Anderson, wonderboy and bisping (although wonderboy stands southpaw to be strong leg forward).

But there are pletty of fighters who like power hand at the back who dominate, examples being Gsp, khabib, cain, stipe, nunes.

What works for some, doesn't work for all. So to state that one way is better when there are so many variables, I think is wrong

But I would genuinely like to know why you think "right lead stance aligns punching, kicking and grappling the BEST in mma" how do you come too that conclusion when you have no reference to what the stance is up against (ie how the oponient opposite is stood, oponient strengths weaknesses etc)

Last edited:
I have never said that. So weird you keep saying it. What are you trying to do, miss quote me to get people to like you? I do grappling. I love grappling. And why are you obsessed with ring sports? I've said sports that compete better equipt you then ones that dont. My comment about why it was called a ring obviously went over your head. I've mentioned stepping in the ring in as a turn of phrase. I'm sorry your little autistic brain reads everything so litually.

I have also said I've competed in both, and for me, it felt different, I felt more pressure fighting in a ring. You then said I am wrong. You shouldn't comment on that though, because you've not qualified. But you seem to think doing a judo comp gives you in sight to me comparing the 2 from lived experience.

You can keep making shit up about me all you want, but I know grapples can fight. I have never said they couldn't. You keep hitting the same drum about me with nothing to back it up

I should of never of fed the troll in the first place...it is fun though. But you are a very strange man and always have to resort to lies to try and be little someone. Very childish

But when people have to plain lie to make themselves shine, it says it all really

You have repeatedly said that "if you haven't fought in a ring i.e. full contact kickboxing,boxing or mma, then you can't fight and have no experience".

This is a extremely dumb statement to be saying on an mma forum when the original UFC champion was a straight grappler and most of the early UFC champions were straight grapplers who crossed over with minimal full contact experience from Severn to Coleman to Couture and they all smashed experienced boxers and kickboxers.
So obviously people who do competitive grappling can fight. They may not be as used to taking strikes but it's something they can train to get used to.

So your brain seems to struggle with making these contradictory statements.

It seems I have to explain your own thought process back to you to help you understand, it's like having to take a kid to the slow class arguing with you,and explaining to him what he actually means when he says something since you get confused.

If you want to actually get back to the discussion, the problem I have with this statement is you claiming its correct when it's your opinion. Yes lead hand forward has its positives, and there are better examples than Usman. Being Anderson, wonderboy and bisping (although wonderboy stands southpaw to be strong leg forward).

But there are pletty of fighters who like power hand at the back who dominate, examples being Gsp, khabib, cain, stipe, nunes.

What works for some, doesn't work for all. So to state that one way is better when there are so many variables, I think is wrong

But I would genuinely like to know why you think "right lead stance aligns punching, kicking and grappling the BEST in mma" how do you come too that conclusion when you have no reference to what the stance is up against (ie how the oponient opposite is stood, oponient strengths weaknesses etc)

Like I said switch stance is the most versatile to be able to adapt to fight in both.
But if you are going to train a right handed fighter from the ground up in mma then right hand lead should be the normal orthodoxy.

Since in mma striking to clinch can happen in an instant it makes sense to be in a stance where you are already set to grapple.
Since the gloves are smaller, there is already more power in the right lead and left rear straight to stun so again the strong hand lead makes sense.

Kickers it may vary but many would prefer to have strong leg forward to quickly deliver the kick with favoured leg,and again it leaves the option to shoot in as you would with a wrestling takedown or step the strong hip in with a Judo throw with the same strong leg in front.

It's harder to justify why you would want to train to fight weak hand forward as the base. It makes sense in boxing maybe that's all.

You have repeatedly said that "if you haven't fought in a ring i.e. full contact kickboxing,boxing or mma, then you can't fight and have no experience".

Just drop this nonsense now. You keep saying it and it's not true. Either find proof, show the context and leave out your editing or just drop it. Because it's ridiculous. I've never said or believed it. I've even said before that I would feel more comfortable using my limited grappling experience if I ever was to find my self in a one on one self defence situation, then having a stand up encounter where I'm far more experience. So just drop the accusations and let's try and have a adult discussion to your views on stances

In fact, why don't we put a little wager on it. If you can find something along the lines of any of your recent statement...

'grapples can't fight because they never fought in a ring'

Find me saying anything like that and I'll PayPal you £1000, if you can't then you pay me a grand. Should be easy money for you, as I say it all the time as you say...

Like I said switch stance is the most versatile to be able to adapt to fight in both.
But if you are going to train a right handed fighter from the ground up in mma then right hand lead should be the normal orthodoxy.

Since in mma striking to clinch can happen in an instant it makes sense to be in a stance where you are already set to grapple.
Since the gloves are smaller, there is already more power in the right lead and left rear straight to stun so again the strong hand lead makes sense.

Kickers it may vary but many would prefer to have strong leg forward to quickly deliver the kick with favoured leg,and again it leaves the option to shoot in as you would with a wrestling takedown or step the strong hip in with a Judo throw with the same strong leg in front.

It's harder to justify why you would want to train to fight weak hand forward as the base. It makes sense in boxing maybe that's all.

Like I said, it has it values but isn't what is right for everyone. And if everyone was developed with the same thought process that it would narrow opportunity's of attack.

The beautiful thing imo about MMA schools instead of your typical karate or kickboxing school is, when you see a silhouette of a MMA fighter you can name the fighter, but with the more traditional karate schools a silhouette of one of their fighters, you can name the school. Not that it's a bad thing, but I've always tried to develop on the basis that everyone's body type is different, so when it comes to fighter development students should be developed indervidually. Which is why I have southpaw righties. I have guys that are more boxing focused, more kick focused. I have guys that are stood bladed. Stood more square etc etc.

If we go with Judo as an example as you train in it. 2 of the 3 heavily influenced judo practicionars I can thing of used there judo from orthodox stance (ronda and Akiyama)

So as a coach is fine to have theory and trying to work with it. But you need an open mind because chances are in a sport like MMA, it's unlikely that there will be a gold standard stance for everyone who starts from grass routes up, as its always evolving and has so many variables

Last edited:
Or just do what feels comfortable and natural. You're putting way too much thought and effort into this. Plenty of people get ktfo from both.

Back