Prime JDS vs DC

Hitman

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Prime JDS ( 2010-2014 ) vs HW DC ?

For me, DC destroyed JDS even worse than Cain ! DC is a nightmare for JDS ( even at prime )

- elite dirty boxing
- olympic wrestler
- pressurer fighter
- punch harder than Cain

Weakness of JDS ( even at prime ) was clinch game, with dirty boxing DC and Olympic wrestling, it would be a murder !

Cormier was even better than Cain in the clinch. And a far better wrestler and boxer. I believe had Cain not been DCs training partner and Cormier would have dominated the HW division for years.

DC wins way more often than not IMO. JDS' biggest weakness is his clinch and bad cage awareness. DC IMO has faster hands and would strike his way into the clinch and beat up JDS against the cage. Guys like DC, Fedor, Cain and other fighters with strong clinch games and fast hands are bad match ups for JDS.

well, i dont disagree with the idea that dc would a bad match for JDS, but, when he was at his prime, he had terrible and boringfights against less skilled oponents, such as nelson, mir, barnett, etc. so, i defintly would give jds more than a one punch ko chance

What Cormier lacks that Cain had though is speed and cardio to get inside and up against the cage consistently.

What Cormier lacks that Cain had though is speed and cardio to get inside and up against the cage consistently.

I don't think Cain was any faster, I do agree his cardio was better and he was better at striking his way into the clinch. I still think it would be enough to beat JDS though as his clinch game is below average and he's really bad about getting stuck on the cage(reminds me of Alves).

Far from a sure thing for DC. I hated Cain and thought his title reign was absolutely horrible for the division but people are completely overlooking how dangerous he was when he was healthy.

Cain was much more aggressive than DC and I think that was a key part of his success in the 2nd and 3rd fights against JDS. DC has not dominated anyone with that level of takedown defense (Rumble Johnson and an old, slow Barnett are not good indicators) and JDS has very underrated cardio for a HW. DC would win more than he loses but JDS is not getting enough respect IMO

DC is too intelligent and skillfull but it wouldn't be easy, JDS back in the way in the day was a completely different person you could say. It would be hard for DC to take him down in the first 2 rounds, but he basically would just need to survive the first round I feel, one very bad habit JDS had was that he was constantly close to the fence with his back, and DC is someone that will capitalise on extremely well. That version of JDS could put you out anytime tho.

DC's striking defense is too sloppy to compete with a prime Junior.
What makes you think DC would strike with him? DC would stand a bit, but as soon as JDS stands too close to the fence DC will wrestle him up on the fence and work his way down.

Recency bias is a helluva drug.

I think the odds are a lot more in favor of JDS than people think. Prime JDS was very fast for a heavyweight, extremely hard to take down, had an absurdly good chin, and he could KO anyone. The only way DC would beat that guy would be by doing to him what he did to Mir, which is just push him against the cage for five rounds. Yes, Cain did that to JDS and f***ed him up, but Cain is FAR more of a physical specimen than DC. DC at his best struggled to muscle Stipe around, and Prime JDS was much faster, stronger, and tougher than Stipe. Also, let's not forget that Cormier isn't the best when it comes to defending body shots, which Prime JDS was very adept with using.

If I had to play this fight out, I would picture DC rushing into the clinch and pushing JDS against the fence for the first couple of rounds, and JDS disengaging after a few moments. As he's doing that, he gets pieced up with shots coming in, and by the third round, DC is seriously tired and starts getting blasted by JDS's big strikes. I think he would hang in there for another round, but JDS would win by KO/TKO in the 4th.

Stylistically, it's seemingly a bad matchup for JDS. He has a terrible habit of backing up straight to the fence, and DC's biggest strength is probably the clinch game, particularly against the cage. On the other hand, I question whether DC has the cardio to do it for 5 rounds. Earlier in DC's career, he was almost exclusively a grinding wrestler. But as he's progressed, and consistently fought top competition in 5-round fights, he's become more of a striker. He admits that he's not as dogged with initiating wrestling as he should be. And it seems pretty obvious to me that he realizes he simply doesn't have the cardio to keep grinding, and keep attempting takedowns, for extended fights. We've certainly seen DC slow down late in fights.

All things considered, I'd slightly favor JDS. I think he probably lands a big shot in one of the boxing exchanges and puts DC away. It's easy to forget how good prime JDS was; his boxing was crisp, he had huge power, and he had great TDD. But I certainly wouldn't be shocked if DC pulled it out.

Strikeforce DC slams JDS through the canvas.

I'm still convinced the UFC never got to see the best version of DC. That's 250 pound fire hydrant nicknamed Black Fedor never made it to the UFC because of Cain.

What DC did in that GP was awesome. Big Foot's chin never recovered and Barnett still is dizzy from being tossed around.

What makes you think DC would strike with him? DC would stand a bit, but as soon as JDS stands too close to the fence DC will wrestle him up on the fence and work his way down.

DC always strikes with his opponents (and gets hurt nearly every time).

JDS has too much leverage on DC. He wouldn't be nearly as effective as Cain.

8-3 for DC !
Strikeforce DC wasn’t HW prime DC !
If you made a fight strikeforce DC vs UFC HW DC. Winner will be HW ufc DC.
DC started to décline slightly in his last fight

DC's striking defense is too sloppy to compete with a prime Junior.
sloppy?? Cormier had one of the best defensive awareness around lol. And he always faced much better strikers than Cain ever did. Cain was better at entering the clinch, and his insane cardio made him unstoppable when he got there but he wasn't a better striker than Cormier in both offense and defense.

Back