Elections Pro-life GOP senate candidate paid for girlfriend to get an abortion

Japan has 41 prisoners per 100 000 people

U.S.A has 639 prisoners per 100 000 people

So to reach Japanese crime rates as an ideal standard, U.S.A needs to reach 1250 prisoners per 100 000?

Really?
I recall in that thread about the former CEO of Renault - Carlos Ghosn - it was mentioned that Japan has something like a 99% conviction rate or some absurdly high number. The insinuation was to be skeptical of the due-process utility in Japan.

Lol, it's the mother of one of his children and yet he pretended like he didn't know who it was? Is he seriously that retarded or brain damaged or what's going on?
Perhaps one of his alters was fucking her and he doesn't remember. Seriously, the guy has dissociative identity disorder. And assuming his brain is left intact postmortem and is allowed to be studied, I strongly suspect they will find an advanced case of CTE. He's like the lead character from the show United States of Tara (hell, he even has the gay son). I can feel bad for the guy to a certain extent, but he doesn't deserve to be in the Senate. And I feel MORE sympathy for the people he's victimized in his life like his ex-wife and children. What happens if/when Walker gets into a position of power and then we get the equivalent of the "Bryce" alter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Tara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_of_Tara_characters#Bryce_Craine

Yeah, it's a fictional show, but it's based on a REAL mental illness that Walker has a confirmed case of. Power corrupts people. Putting someone like Walker in a position of power is a recipe for disaster...

I recall in that thread about the former CEO of Renault - Carlos Ghosn - it was mentioned that Japan has something like a 99% conviction rate or some absurdly high number. The insinuation was to be skeptical of the due-process utility in Japan.
Yes. It's that high because the standard for prosecution is incredibly high.

Lol, it's the mother of one of his children and yet he pretended like he didn't know who it was? Is he seriously that retarded or brain damaged or what's going on?
He unquestionably has mental disorders, I think he's been open about them.

Its just shocking that people see him as a viable candidate. But after 45, anything goes?

He unquestionably has mental disorders, I think he's been open about them.

Its just shocking that people see him as a viable candidate. But after 45, anything goes?
Right. Even right-wing thought leaders like Newt Gingrich and Dana Loesch have been openly talking about how many concussions he's had and his history of mental illness and that he paid a "skank" for an abortion. They're saying the quiet part out loud now. They just want power.

Right. Even right-wing thought leaders like Newt Gingrich and Dana Loesch have been openly talking about how many concussions he's had and his history of mental illness and that he paid a "skank" for an abortion. They're saying the quiet part out loud now. They just want power.

Got damn!!

"His Christian values"??

Putting a gun to his wife's head? Beating his kids? Aborting them and sending get well card? Having kids he doesn't even know about?

The fuck??

And the supreme confidence of that woman in her stupidity and hypocrisy is shocking.

We are not a country politically divided, its an intellectual and sanity divide!

Got damn!!

"His Christian values"??

Putting a gun to his wife's head? Beating his kids? Aborting them and sending get well card? Having kids he doesn't even know about?

The fuck??

And the supreme confidence of that woman in her stupidity and hypocrisy is shocking.

We are not a country politically divided, its an intellectual and sanity divide!
He's got dissociative identity disorder and has developed alters who beat women and children, threaten to kill them, cheat on his wife, have children out of wedlock, pay for abortions (even though he doesn't "believe in them"), abandon his children, neglect his children, not acknowledge his children, etc. Perhaps when he's in the Senate he'll develop an alter who's a "MAP" like the lead character from United States of Tara who shares his mental disorder. Maybe he can join his fellow Republican Matt Gaetz in voting against sex trafficking laws out of self-interest? Making America Great Again! America First! WWG1WGA! #SaveTheChildren

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Tara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_of_Tara_characters#Bryce_Craine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gaetz#Human_trafficking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gaetz#Federal_investigations_into_sex_trafficking

Japan has 41 prisoners per 100 000 people

U.S.A has 639 prisoners per 100 000 people

So to reach Japanese crime rates as an ideal standard, U.S.A needs to reach 1250 prisoners per 100 000?

Really?

Well we don't seem to have the guts to execute people anymore.

No, unlike you, I've actually done some reading about it. The surefire way to decrease crime (as demonstrated from 1992- recently) is to incarcerate or otherwise immobilize the 1-2% of the population that commits serious crimes and to not release them until they are too old to go back to it. As of now, there is only about 1.3 million people in prison in the US, out of a population of 330 million, so that amount would need to double, at least, to see crime brought down. It would be possible to have Japanese levels of safety in this country.

I for one think that the rate is probably higher than the 1-2%, it might be closer to 5%, but there's zero reason that people who commit serious crimes can't essentially live in penal colonies, work, make money, buy things on Amazon, etc. They just need to be tightly supervised and walled off from the rest of the population.
Good god man! What the hell are you reading? We already lead the world in incarceration rates, I doubt doubling down is the cure for society’s ills.
I get the idea of making crime a less attractive option, but maybe a better way is to make life a little easier for everyone? This plan would come with the bonus of reduced abortion rates. Just spitballing.

Edit: I would agree one of our problems is that, once a criminal is in the system, a criminal they shall likely remain. Very hard to make a good living with a record.

These people are all hypocrites and awful human beings. Conservatives who act virtuous and better than everyone are almost always using it as a front to hide their demons. Look at Matt Walsh, guy makes books about protecting children and now he is going around telling people that teen pregnancy is great.

In 2021, only Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Somalia, Iraq and Yemen executed more people than we did. You're right, man. Gotta get those numbers up! We don't want to be outdone by the rest of the civilized world. We've got to get back to #1 on such an esteemed list...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment#By_country

PS - We executed almost 4x as many people as Japan did during last year.

In 2021, only Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Somalia, Iraq and Yemen executed more people than we did. You're right, man. Gotta get those numbers up! We don't want to be outdone by the rest of the civilized world. We've got to get back to #1 on such an esteemed list...

China has got to be on the 2021 list, if not only because they don't list their data or lie about it.

These people are all hypocrites and awful human beings. Conservatives who act virtuous and better than everyone are almost always using it as a front to hide their demons. Look at Matt Walsh, guy makes books about protecting children and now he is going around telling people that teen pregnancy is great.
The modern conservative

China has got to be on the 2021 list, if not only because they don't list their data or lie about it.
As far as we can tell, they've reduced the amount of crimes that carry the death penalty and have executed less people in recent years. They also claim they plan to eventually abolish the death penalty. I'd take that claim with a grain of salt. Russia also used to execute a high number of people but there's been a moratorium since 1996.

Considering that China and Russia have many sociopolitical similarities, it's possible that China may follow in their footsteps. They may have other vehicles of social control and exercising authority that will lead them to officially abolish the death penalty... I also think they know it would make them look better by international standards.

PS - They're on the list, right behind the US. But they didn't confirm the exact number, just "6+". I would imagine there were many more. The number may have dropped in the 2020s compared to 2010s due to the pandemic...

Japan isn't the only safe country. Yes it has the death penalty, but that's not the reason why crime rates are low. It has been established for a long time now that capital punishment does not deter criminals. What deters criminals is the belief that they will get caught. The penalty for if they get caught does not factor in their decision making to commit a crime.

Our execution rates have gone way down from even twenty years ago. If you think executing serious criminals is morally evil, then congrats, I guess every country before 1970 was evil. Descended from monsters, how could we be so ignorant!

Japan isn't the only safe country. Yes it has the death penalty, but that's not the reason why crime rates are low. It has been established for a long time now that capital punishment does not deter criminals. What deters criminals is the belief that they will get caught. The penalty for if they get caught does not factor in their decision making to commit a crime.
Deterrence?

Our execution rates have gone way down from even twenty years ago. If you think executing serious criminals is morally evil, then congrats, I guess every country before 1970 was evil. Descended from monsters, how could we be so ignorant!
I don't really think it's "morally evil". I actually support it in extreme cases. The problem is there are estimates that around 5% of those executed are innocent. People have been exonerated by DNA evidence off of death row. But in extreme cases such as terrorist attacks and mass shootings where there is unquestionable evidence of guilt, I'm all for it. I've mentioned before that one of my relatives was a victim of Dylann Roof's. It really changed my perspective on some things. I'd like to kill that punk my damn self!

Japan only executes a few people per year on average. For the most serious crimes, like some scumbag running people over in Akihabara in a truck and then stabbing them. I have no problem with that. But Japan has the same low crime rates that other prosperous, developed countries like Norway have. They also have strong social commitments and support to their citizens, like universal healthcare. They also have STRICT gun control there. Honestly, the gun control is MUCH more responsible for the low gun violence rate than the death penalty. The UK has low gun violence rates and no death penalty. Their gun control laws are similar to Japan's and their both islands that can more tightly control what enters their country more than countries with land borders.

There's no evidence to support your contention that the death penalty reduces crime, is a deterrent and that executing MASS amounts of people every year would be good for society. Think of the anger and resentment it would cause among their family and friends and the community at large. It would cause even more discontent and division in our already increasingly divided society. With all due respect, you have an extreme view that is poorly supported.

I don't really think it's "morally evil". I actually support it in extreme cases. The problem is there are estimates that around 5% of those executed are innocent. People have been exonerated by DNA evidence off of death row. But in extreme cases such as terrorist attacks and mass shootings where there is unquestionable evidence of guilt, I'm all for it. I've mentioned before that one of my relatives was a victim of Dylann Roof's. It really changed my perspective on some things. I'd like to kill that punk my damn self!

Japan only executes a few people per year on average. For the most serious crimes, like some scumbag running people over in Akihabara in a truck and then stabbing them. I have no problem with that. But Japan has the same low crime rates that other prosperous, developed countries like Norway have. They also have strong social commitments and support to their citizens, like universal healthcare. They also have STRICT gun control there. Honestly, the gun control is MUCH more responsible for the low gun violence rate than the death penalty. The UK has low gun violence rates and no death penalty. Their gun control laws are similar to Japan's and their both islands that can more tightly control what enters their country more than countries with land borders.

There's no evidence to support your contention that the death penalty reduces crime, is a deterrent and that executing MASS amounts of people every year would be good for society. Think of the anger and resentment it would cause among their family and friends and the community at large. It would cause even more discontent and division in our already increasingly divided society. With all due respect, you have an extreme view that is poorly supported.
It's not supposed to be a deterrent, it's supposed to (permanently) incapacitate criminals, which is the only real method of lowering crime- ensuring they literally don't have the chance for recidivism. Saying this doesn't work is dishonest- it would work just as well as long sentences, which worked quite well in the 90s and 2000s, and since we've backed off from that, crime is going back up. Surprise!

Also, I believe we have a moral duty to execute serious criminals, it's simply the right thing to do. But just incapacitating the tiny % of the population that does serious crime until they are too old to do more would work too.

Back