Review: Ring to Cage Winning MS-600 Clones

I have a student who is female and she is built like wonder women. She can crack. Once she's healthy I'll try to video tape her on mitts and bags.

snyya1.jpg

Inspired by the "hang bang" thread here
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f16/can-you-hang-bang-like-1290677/

Like I said, I know some women are badass, never said they aren't but me personally I'd have to call it quits had I gotten beaten. So I don't leave it to chance. Even if there's one good shot that she got in you never hear the end of it in the gym. Then God forbid you hit her back like you would hit a guy, then you become the gym asshole that beats up women. No thanks. I just leave the ring. Easier that way. It's a lose/lose situation and don't pretend your in that magical gym where everyone and every situation is treated equal. Its a lie. Like I said before, Ill train with women but never against one.

I've moved around with girls plenty, they gotta get work on like everyone else. Sparring isn't about winning or losing rounds, it's about learning and preparing.

Yes I agree, however like I said it takes a lot not to evaluate what happened in a sparring session in the sense of am i disappointed or pleased with myself. Like I said I rarely spar as of yet, but the few times I have, I don't think of it as win or lose, I think of it as did I perform the way i wanted to in that session, did this happen when it shouldn't have happened, what wasn't i seeing here, why was i getting hit in this way, why could i land that shot so easily, how did this punch get taken away from me so easily? Overall, am i disappointed or pleased with my showing in there? This isn't about winning or losing, it's about assessment to improve, and of course for many there will be an element of pride in there too as it pertains to one being proud of what they were able to accomplish in that sparring session. If I'm not getting paid or competing for something why would I bother thinking of winning or losing you know? We're not viewing it that way...

There's no winning in sparring, but there is that feeling of "I could have owned that guy" or "he definitely had me". Although most sessions ideally are somewhere inbetween.

When I spar I realize its not a contest. Ive sparred plenty guys trust me. But the thing is, if you get hit with a good shot, its like wow I cant believe you got tagged by a girl like that. 2, if you decide to lay a stiff jab right on her nose, then you become an asshole. Like I said ive seen it happen a million times, just not to myself. SO I avoid the whole scenario.

When I spar I realize its not a contest. Ive sparred plenty guys trust me. But the thing is, if you get hit with a good shot, its like wow I cant believe you got tagged by a girl like that. 2, if you decide to lay a stiff jab right on her nose, then you become an asshole. Like I said ive seen it happen a million times, just not to myself. SO I avoid the whole scenario.

Agreed, its s lose-lose scenario

I just view sparring girls as a chance to practice good defense and slipping/parrying shots. It's a way of looking good while not feeling like a dick. That being said some girls will take offense to you not giving them good work.

Never thought of it that way with the torch-passing...kind of hard to pass on the torch if the kid starts thinking he was holding the torch to begin with though. Just kidding.

But quit if a girl busted you. That's deep. I doubt you could quit from that...a lot of girls really can crack. You could be sparring the next leila ali for all you know. Fun stuff to think about. Got me thinking and smiling.

Man, there was this like 14-15 year old girl who looked like a young Holly Berry, and I was playing defense with her. She was wearing my flores gloves which can hit a little hard. Man, when she threw her punches she threw em all out. I mean when she was throwing an uppercut, it was like a damn shoryuken. She was putting her whole body into it. She was nailing me at first but then my coach just told me use my legs and that was easy enough to avoid the punches after that, but yeah, she could hit pretty hard when I stayed in there trying to slip. I wouldnt want to hit her though. No way.

Like I said, I know some women are badass, never said they aren't but me personally I'd have to call it quits had I gotten beaten. So I don't leave it to chance. Even if there's one good shot that she got in you never hear the end of it in the gym. Then God forbid you hit her back like you would hit a guy, then you become the gym asshole that beats up women. No thanks. I just leave the ring. Easier that way. It's a lose/lose situation and don't pretend your in that magical gym where everyone and every situation is treated equal. Its a lie. Like I said before, Ill train with women but never against one.

Much wisdom hea. Take hit you bitch. Hit back; you pussy bitch. Nobody win. Accept bitch... (say it with a Japanese accent...)

There's no winning in sparring, but there is that feeling of "I could have owned that guy" or "he definitely had me". Although most sessions ideally are somewhere inbetween.

Wow. Working together. Learning... how novel...

That shit dont fly at the Zelma Watson Rec center off MLK BLVD in Cleveland! MLK right next to E99 like Bone thugs in Hamonee! We fight to the death up in hee! East side motha F#!%aa! We use 16oz gloves and headgee so dare aint no evidence.

Well, at least thats how it feels sometimes. My coach agrees but the kids almost dont know how to go easy. Well, hopefully at OSU Ill have some guys who care about preserving brain cells and we control it somewhat. They wont have the same level of training or coaching unfortunately...

When you get older, you guys won't see it that way. I used to move around with a girl named Julie Maribello, she ended up winning the New England Golden Gloves either last year or the year before. I'd like to think that the work I gave her helped her get those wins.

When you have stable mates, you give them work to make them better. No one worries about dropping rounds in sparring, it's a terrible mindset to have.

Edit: Some info on Julie: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/01/sudbury-mom-makes-boxing-more-than-just-a-hobby/

Fighters are fighters, regardless of gender. Got plenty of respect for anyone who applies themself enough to fight, and I bring that same respect in the ring every time I spar.

Last edited:
Wow. Working together. Learning... how novel...

That shit dont fly at the Zelma Watson Rec center off MLK BLVD in Cleveland! MLK right next to E99 like Bone thugs in Hamonee! We fight to the death up in hee! East side motha F#!%aa! We use 16oz gloves and headgee so dare aint no evidence.

Well, at least thats how it feels sometimes. My coach agrees but the kids almost dont know how to go easy. Well, hopefully at OSU Ill have some guys who care about preserving brain cells and we control it somewhat. They wont have the same level of training or coaching unfortunately...

lol, I hear that. Luckily, I have some pretty good people to work with right now. Although my main sparring partner is probably moving back to Europe in a month or so, if it happens it will suck.

I agree about the kids, I will get in there with them at times and be told to "work with them" but they don't what that means. They are full bore, swinging punches, etc. Eventually I have to start countering them, and I feel like a dick, but oh well. I pull my punches still (well most of the time, I have slipped once or twice) but they need to learn that they can't barge ahead in a straight line, and to cool it a bit. No female at our gym is interested in getting in the ring (well other than mitts), so that has never even come up with me.

When you get older, you guys won't see it that way. I used to move around with a girl named Julie Maribello, she ended up winning the New England Golden Gloves either last year or the year before. I'd like to think that the work I gave her helped her get those wins.

When you have stable mates, you give them work to make them better. No one worries about dropping rounds in sparring, it's a terrible mindset to have.

Edit: Some info on Julie: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/01/sudbury-mom-makes-boxing-more-than-just-a-hobby/

Fighters are fighters, regardless of gender. Got plenty of respect for anyone who applies themself enough to fight, and I bring that same respect in the ring every time I spar.
Hey CS,

Do you think if you were not a coach though that your mindset would be the exact same as you're portraying here? I ask because i know my ex-coach would spar and work with a girl who won the canadian golden gloves just 2 months ago...but other guys (some likely older than you and some younger) weren't really interested in working with her leading up to the GGs but of course afterwards were happy for her and all the publicity she was getting in newspapers and on tv. To be honest, I also think some of the guys sharing opinions here would be your age-mates or even older (I'm assuming you're in your late 20's/early 30's from your tone) so part of me thinks as a full time coach it's a slightly different mindset/slightly easier to apply this mindset of dropping rounds meaning nothing.

Another point to ask, how self-critical/reflective do you think a fighter should be from their sparring sessions? What we're talking about here brings up another good point of discussion because it almost sounds as if your point is to almost be somewhat lax about the outcomes of sparring rounds you drop in a sport so hell-bent on self-improvement and constantly striving to reach new levels. So I kind of see what you mean where you say one's mindset shouldn't be to be so critical of their sparring but then again part of me doesn't see it. Of course a coach will tell a fighter not to be hard on themselves (and if I was a coach of course i would reinforce this positive thinking too) but from the fighter's standpoint it can be hard not to acknowledge to yourself that you're performing sub-par to what you expected/feel you are capable of even when you're not competing.

Finally, I agree with the respect to all fighters, coaches, and anyone that sets foot in a boxing gym and stays past 2 weeks haha.

Last edited:
lol, I hear that. Luckily, I have some pretty good people to work with right now. Although my main sparring partner is probably moving back to Europe in a month or so, if it happens it will suck.

I agree about the kids, I will get in there with them at times and be told to "work with them" but they don't what that means. They are full bore, swinging punches, etc. Eventually I have to start countering them, and I feel like a dick, but oh well. I pull my punches still (well most of the time, I have slipped once or twice) but they need to learn that they can't barge ahead in a straight line, and to cool it a bit. No female at our gym is interested in getting in the ring (well other than mitts), so that has never even come up with me.

Those kids(I shouldnt call em kids 16-19 year olds) would actually snap my head as they were bigger than me and my background was karate and had been shifting into grappling, so my head was probably way up in the air and I was not good at defending punches to the head. I mean Id have to go mma to decisively beat these kids(at least when I first started). Im 5'3" and 135lbs walking around when Im in shape. I think despite all that I still would hesitate or pull punches to the head. All in all it was a very humbling experience. You cant get polished without someone working with you and not trying to hurt you constantly. Gets nerve racking when you want to protect the brain cells. Im one of those former spooks so supposedly Ive got some brains and I want to keep em... these guys obviously do not give two sheits...

Here ya go... some C-town sheit.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGPOYlA-R8

Back