International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russian media are getting a lot of mileage of that one. Good for them though, UKR has to stay on their toes.
I've seen maybe half a dozen of these cluster fuck type videos, and a dozen smaller ones. Lots of MRAP type vehicles bombed out. I have heard that the Ukrainians did make some small gains in two areas, but quickly gave one back. The other one, last I heard, the Russkies had the higher ground, and layered defenses.

I also read something pointing out how they attacked directly at the zone where the Russians' top military theorist on this type of defense (the guy who wrote their book on it) was pulled out of his post teaching at the academy or something, and was in charge of preparing the defenses and troops in this sector, to a large degree.

From what I've read, the Ukes will lose their funding if they don't keep throwing men into the meat grinder, as they are being told to attack, even without air cover, as the Russians have air superiority, and the Ukes degraded air defenses. It isn't really looking good for fans of 'the current thing," which is quickly fading into the next "thing in the rearview mirror."

From what I've read, the Ukes will lose their funding if they don't keep throwing men into the meat grinder, as they are being told to attack, even without air cover, as the Russians have air superiority, and the Ukes degraded air defenses.
. Ukraine's at Risk of a Devastating Setback (msn.com)

"The stakes of the counteroffensive for Ukraine is the need to show Western backers that the investments and risks of the past year and a half bear fruit," Northwestern University political science professor William Reno told Newsweek. "Significant failure would open more political space for Western critics of aid, particularly in upcoming elections in Europe and the U.S."

"Should the counteroffensive be unsuccessful, the U.S. and Europeans would continue to provide arms, but might be more open to peace initiatives that would freeze in place the two lines," Reardon said.

George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government professor Mark N. Katz told Newsweek that a failed counteroffensive would likely result in some voices in the West wanting to pull back support to Ukraine.

"They will argue that it is time for Ukraine to adjust to painful reality and agree to a ceasefire with Russia that leaves Moscow in possession of much or even all the territory that it now occupies," Katz said. "Putin is hoping for this to occur."

As for the consequences on the battlefield, David Silbey—an associate professor of history at Cornell and director of teaching and learning at Cornell in Washington—told Newsweek that a failed counteroffensive "would most likely reestablish the status quo stalemate."

"Unless the Russians had enough forces to manage a substantial attack of their own, the situation would end up back where it started, although with lots of casualties," Silbey said. "So it would be a failure, but not a war-ending one."

"Both the U.S. and Ukraine have been talking up the counteroffensive for months now, with tidbits about combined arms training and new weapons," he said. "If the offensive failed, it would be a blow to the political prestige of both countries."

. Ukraine's at Risk of a Devastating Setback (msn.com)

"The stakes of the counteroffensive for Ukraine is the need to show Western backers that the investments and risks of the past year and a half bear fruit," Northwestern University political science professor William Reno told Newsweek. "Significant failure would open more political space for Western critics of aid, particularly in upcoming elections in Europe and the U.S."

"Should the counteroffensive be unsuccessful, the U.S. and Europeans would continue to provide arms, but might be more open to peace initiatives that would freeze in place the two lines," Reardon said.

George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government professor Mark N. Katz told Newsweek that a failed counteroffensive would likely result in some voices in the West wanting to pull back support to Ukraine.

"They will argue that it is time for Ukraine to adjust to painful reality and agree to a ceasefire with Russia that leaves Moscow in possession of much or even all the territory that it now occupies," Katz said. "Putin is hoping for this to occur."

As for the consequences on the battlefield, David Silbey—an associate professor of history at Cornell and director of teaching and learning at Cornell in Washington—told Newsweek that a failed counteroffensive "would most likely reestablish the status quo stalemate."

"Unless the Russians had enough forces to manage a substantial attack of their own, the situation would end up back where it started, although with lots of casualties," Silbey said. "So it would be a failure, but not a war-ending one."

"Both the U.S. and Ukraine have been talking up the counteroffensive for months now, with tidbits about combined arms training and new weapons," he said. "If the offensive failed, it would be a blow to the political prestige of both countries."
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/06/10/53c5-j10.html

In case you were curious as to what the Red view of the conflict is. You might appreciate this

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2023/06/10/53c5-j10.html

In case you were curious as to what the Red view of the conflict is. You might appreciate this

Well, as usully they are potraying west as bed evil and russia, even china as " good for working class " countries.

While russia now is ruled by " communists " country maintained to serve oligarchs and kleptocracy elite...
& the same imperialistic targets + add here intent to build giant size empire ......world hegemon.
Strategically for russia most interesting thing in ukraine is ... lithium. Russia is lithium importer and they might solve this problem by subjugating Ukraine.
Next thing is... to capture ukraine's agricultural industry.
Ukraine is very important vegetable oils exporter by their share in world export market by %, only after this wheat as important stuff....
Russia also does have considerably lesser salt deposits than ukraine does have.
Ofc other stuff too is valuable for russian oligarchs.

So called " anti western " propaganda always will push Kremlin's narrative about " war against russia "....

While the same imperialistic and business targets does have also russian billionaires and Kremlin.

Donbas - Luhansk area coal is good stuff to sell it ...to chinesse businesses..

Coal does have different " marks " and grades.
In this region anthracite is enough good quality to be worth to transport it even till China in order to sell it.
& other kind of coal " mark " in Luhansk and Donbas oblastj is.....
Coal marks highly valuable for metallurgy industry: again worth to transport it till China!

More than this: dumbass is area where high quality cox( coke for metallurgy industry had been produced. It is very lucrative product easy to sell ...to China, Iran, Turkey etc ...

Additionally.... fertilizers<Moves>

Reactions: PEB
At this point i'm not gonna bank on the Russian military to execute anything with competence, even favorable defensive conditions.

Yea except their artillery and combat engineering has been confirmed to work well by royal united service institute

Both are showing right now and its these 2 stopping ukr currently

Last edited:
Dude nails it Ukraine would be the best trained fighters in NATO.

Wt? Elon humor I guess?

Dimon with his regular reminder that russia is a fascist dictatorship with imperial ambitions. BuT y No tOlK wItH ThEm?!

FyaRoyDXoAECatm

Both sides have very hard time closing the skies for these small and not so small drones with cameras that feed targets to these FPV drones and loitering munitions.

India refusing USA efforts to get Ukraine to enter NATO funny I just looked at NATO members and guess what no India? So I guess they can eat crap they are not even a member. I did not think so but like any Putin's buddies they have to weigh into anything that's not their business.

Russian bulletproof vests are for airsoft fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea except their artillery and combat engineering has been confirmed to work well by royal united service institute

Both are showing right now and its these 2 stopping ukr currently
Their artillery doesn't work well in all cases. Sometimes it is effecitve, sometimes they are deNazifying theit own soldiers and officers.

Russian combat engineering and builders usually always were good: IF proper materials and tools are provided in time, russians usually are good builders.
Exactly therefore sometimes russians had built for example bridge or large apartments house and kleptocrats were able to do maintenance and regular repairs on paper:D with in reality 0 cent invested 10-25 years in row.

Russians in general are good builders. Esp slavic origin russians...

At this point i'm not gonna bank on the Russian military to execute anything with competence, even favorable defensive conditions.
it's looking like the Russians setup defenses around settlements instead of strategically important areas, like the high ground. which is helping Ukraine push them out of certain areas very quickly.
Screen_Shot_2017-05-03_at_12.14.21_PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back