Sergei is nothing new or special.

Todd Duffee was never doing the same, he got Tim Hague like that and then got killed by devastating GNP by Mike Russow.
Yeah, putting Duffee, Carwin and JDS in the same sentence was dumb. Prime JDS was by far the best striker of the three. He had wins over future or former champs Werdum, Cain, Stipe and Mir along with Cro-Cop, Hunt, Gonzaga, Rothwell and others--and even late-career wins over Lewis and Tuivasa when JDS was WAY past his prime.

Carwin hit very hard and was dangerous, but JDS was far more technical and fast as shown when they fought each other. Duffee appeared to have the tools to be a great wrestle-boxer, but was one of those guys who never recovered from his first KO loss. I'd say Sergei is closest to Carwin's accomplishments at this point (certainly below JDS and above Duffee) and maybe closest to him stylistically--but they're still diffferent fighters.

I just came here to say he is what Shane Carwin was supposed to be.;)

Die hard fans probably realise that Jones is in the twilight of his career and taking legacy fights. Stipe isn't in his prime but his resume shits all over Sergei's and that what will bring eyes to the fight. Business wise, from Jones and Stipe's perspective it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is how quickly you yahoos jump from one hype train to another before sliding off into the void when they crash an burn.
I dont think stipe brings the eyes, Jones is the A side, the B side is less relevant.

Sergei has a long of recency bias working in his favor, he is an active fighter, while stipe got slept his last outing and been MIA since, still in his coma.

Sergei will be disposed of as soon as he gets taken down. People will say HW is terrible and people will pretend he was never good. Gane was thrown away and dismissed as a white belt. History will be rewritten and people will say of course if Overeem can take you down like that so could Jones. Atleast Stipe is a champ.

Sergei vs Jones isn't the fight that the 'die hard fans' want to see....
You know what's better than seeing a guy with a belt fight every 15 or 36 months and then retiring?

Fighting someone who's on a tear.

That's it, man. It's just not more complicated than that.

And no matter how hard you try to frame it otherwise, that doesn't make me a "Jones hater". It's really not even about Jones. I think Jones wins this fight handily, but wanting to see fights does not make one a "hater".

Last edited:
Reactions: JKS
Hey I may be moron sometimes but Jones fought a 6’5 240+ 80+ reach at HW, with the best footwork and Uber fast hands… And didn’t get touched once kind of like the majority of his fights but since it was Gane it doesn’t count…
Plus Jones only had one fight at HW so does that reset everything since he is at HW now… So is a wrestler gonna be next…

Sure, and he went right through Gane, it was a very impressive win as Gane is an elite HW. But fact of the matter is that Sergei is a fighter who brings a whole different element and threat to the fight that Gane doesn't. It's a very different fight in so many ways.

I said that Jon was gonna go right through Gane cause he simply has no grappling. And most of people that made a wise prediction said the same thing. I mean it was based of the fact that Francis out wrestled and out grappled Gane, so a much more higher level grapple would make it easier and he did. But with Sergei I am sticking with him knocking Jones out.

Sergei is a Modern day Shane Carwin..only his hands are a lot smaller and he has a better gas tank.

Jones made his return for Ngannou and Stipe…now he’s asked to settle for fringe title contender fighters

So in other words what you're saying is that Jones entire move to HW was just a facade to pad his legacy??

So in other words what you're saying is that Jones entire move to HW was just a facade to pad his legacy??

Pad legacy by beating best fighters in a heavier weight class?
<WhatIsThis>

Love how when someone has success you have haters come out to make sure everyone knows they are nothing special.

But Pavlovich has 6 straight 1st round KOs. We’ve never seen that before in the UFC. Shane Carwin didn’t do that. JDS didn’t either, and lord knows Todd Duffee didn’t.

So yeah, even among good KO artists, Sergei is special. He’s a legit fit 260 with big power and a massive ape index. Thats special.

How could it be when everyone said he would not go to HW and if he did he would get exposed by bigger better strikers like Gane?!

He just cemented his legacy with the win of the HW title.

Sure, and he went right through Gane, it was a very impressive win as Gane is an elite HW. But fact of the matter is that Sergei is a fighter who brings a whole different element and threat to the fight that Gane doesn't. It's a very different fight in so many ways.

I said that Jon was gonna go right through Gane cause he simply has no grappling. And most of people that made a wise prediction said the same thing. I mean it was based of the fact that Francis out wrestled and out grappled Gane, so a much more higher level grapple would make it easier and he did. But with Sergei I am sticking with him knocking Jones out.
I bet you are adamantly against Pav fighting Almeida in the meantime while you are thinking about what Pav would do to Jones. That’s the thing. Pav has potential to catch and KO any man on Earth. Let’s see him face the second scariest looking man in the division and the winner is clearly the man best equipped to beat Jones. See you dudes just want to keep throwing name after name instead of having the best HW’s fight to see who reigns. Jailton may be the man to make Jones retire and avoid the fight. Pav is a takedown away from has been

Sergei is a Modern day Shane Carwin..only his hands are a lot smaller and he has a better gas tank.

Jones made his return for Ngannou and Stipe…now he’s asked to settle for fringe title contender fighters
Jones made his return after it was known that Ngannou had left.

Pad legacy by beating best fighters in a heavier weight class?
<WhatIsThis>
Jones didn’t beat the best fighter in the heavier weight class, despite what the UFC would have you believe. It’s still quite an accomplishment though.

It's actually not extremely exciting though. Jones has fought plenty of 'dangerous strikers' and the result always ends up the same.

If Sergei is something different then let him prove it against Gane.

Gane is 1-2, he doesn't deserve Sergei

1st it was he never faced a power puncher, now (you moved the goal post) he never faced a true HW power puncher…

Well Jones is trying to fight Stipe, I wondered how Stipe won the HW title? Oh yea Rumble doesn’t meet your requirements, according to you… 6’2 and 79 reach, you do understand that, right?

Jones never fought Rumble...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back