PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Of course core counts are going to increase. Never said they wouldn't.

Still not gonna consider buying an AMD CPU until they beat Intel in IPC.
You have to remember that IPC is itself an abstract concept that varies with the workload being tested at a given normalized frequency. In fact, in most synthetics, Ryzen 3rd gen does have the IPC advantage. It's IPC in gaming where Intel still wins, by a tiny margin, for the majority (i.e. <50%) of games. Cinebench has long been the gold standard for IPC potential, and Ryzen delivered on AMD's hype chart:

COMPUTEX_KEYNOTE_DRAFT_FOR_PREBRIEF.26.05.19-page-035b_575px.jpg

Ryzen 3rd Gen IPC Analyses

You have to remember that IPC is itself an abstract concept that varies with the workload being tested at a given normalized frequency. In fact, in most synthetics, Ryzen 3rd gen does have the IPC advantage. It's IPC in gaming where Intel still wins, by a tiny margin, for the majority (i.e. <50%) of games. Cinebench has long been the gold standard for IPC potential, and Ryzen delivered on AMD's hype chart:

Seems to me like you just don't like Intel and will buy AMD for a gaming rig even though they aren't as fast in games.

If you ever want to dive deeper, check out Hardware Unboxed or Gamers Nexus. They do in depth reviews with lots of benchmarks.
Tech Deals is another great one to check out.
I've been with gamer nexus but I find his stuff to been a little too in depth for me I get lost in the myriad of words

Seems to me like you just don't like Intel and will buy AMD for a gaming rig even though they aren't as fast in games.
Why would you even support intel? the type of company to sell you something that was less than marginally better than last years product? Seems like your just an intel fan boy and most people would rather not support intel. hell intel used to pay gaming companies to specifically optimize the games for intel chips

Oh, piss off. Nobody is more agnostic when it comes to the metal than me.

If someone declares a preference for Intel, or a set of parameters where Intel makes more sense, I will happily oblige (i.e. preference for Intel drivers/products; pure gamer who limits background apps; specific game library that favors Intel; lower resolution display like 720p/1080p; aggressive overclocker; no concern for value, future relevance, or upgrade potential of the core).

Myself and others are not the ones demonstrating a blind, stubborn bias in this thread.

Oh, piss off. Nobody is more agnostic when it comes to the metal than me.

If someone declares a preference for Intel, or a set of parameters where Intel makes more sense, I will happily oblige (i.e. preference for Intel drivers/products; pure gamer who limits background apps; specific game library that favors Intel; lower resolution display like 720p/1080p; aggressive overclocker; no concern for value, future relevance, or upgrade potential of the core).

Myself and others are not the ones demonstrating a blind, stubborn bias in this thread.

You recommended an AMD CPU for a gaming rig.

You were then challenged with the claim that Intel is superior in gaming.

You then posted charts proving Intel is superior in gaming.

And let's not forget the gaming charts posted are done with a 2080ti. No one is buying a 9700k or 3700x and a $1100 2080ti. When you pair them with a 2080 or 2070, the performance gaps get a lot smaller.

And you seem to ignore facts when presented to you simply because you like intel more than AMD?

Oh, piss off. Nobody is more agnostic when it comes to the metal than me..

Can vouch for this, @MadDildo and I had a 7 page long pm conversation over a period of 2 weeks discussing the for and against of me switching from an i7 7700k to an AMD 3700x at no point did he try to dissuade me from going with the 9900k, he would just get me information on the questions I asked and show me facts and figures to base my own opinion. We both flipflopped between AMD and Intel multiple times before I decided to go with AMD and he agreed its a good choice.

Not everyone chooses team red or team blue, some people simply want the best and smartest upgrade choices. He also advised me to wait to see intels response to Ryzen 3000 but I opted to upgrade immediately.

And you seem to ignore facts when presented to you simply because you like intel more than AMD?

He's narrowly only looking at performance. All of us would like to buy a super car. But we'd likely purchase a Corvette or GTR at sports car pricing that performs like a super car.

You recommended an AMD CPU for a gaming rig.

You were then challenged with the claim that Intel is superior in gaming.

You then posted charts proving Intel is superior in gaming.
AMD currently exceeds any need you will need for gaming. No reason to stuff Intel's pockets now. Sure in synthetic benches Intel will win, but you can max FPS with AMD so why do that?

AMD currently exceeds any need you will need for gaming. No reason to stuff Intel's pockets now. Sure in synthetic benches Intel will win, but you can max FPS with AMD so why do that?

Just the opposite actually AMD wins in synthetic benchmarks and Intel wins in games.

Why the fuck does Falcon Northwest charge $4,000 for some of their PCs? What is worth all of that money?

Why the fuck does Falcon Northwest charge $4,000 for some of their PCs? What is worth all of that money?
They're not. Their business model is woefully outdated in 2019, and they were always overpriced, but today you can get very high-end prebuilds with strong customer support for half the price.

What is the best source of second hand parts? I need to build 2 budget gaming rigs for kids. Looking at used components for some of the items.

What is the best source of second hand parts? I need to build 2 budget gaming rigs for kids. Looking at used components for some of the items.
I think @22k may be our most experience and savvy use market electronics buyer. Calling him in.

Craigslist, Offer Up, Facebook Marketplace, etc.
If you're going to put a modern AMD gpu in a prebuilt, make sure you research compatibility first. Prebuilts can be goofy.
Ryzen 1200's can be found for $60 new and you have an upgrade path.

if you live in a major city, probably craigslist.

Back