So who has cancelled/suspended their membership and who hasn't?

Im not really hurting financially yet so i havent and hope that it wont need to come to that. If this thing carries on for several more months then i will.

Im not really hurting financially yet so i havent and hope that it wont need to come to that. If this thing carries on for several more months then i will.
yeah i guess if eel if you make over like 50k then sure u should support your coach if you have a good relationship close to the gym if not then dont

and if u make under i can see why u would have to cancel

I said this before and i will say it again; gyms need to work with their members. As the shutdown continues you need to drop prices for the people willing to pay down. You cant charge full price for a non service.

yeah i guess if eel if you make over like 50k then sure u should support your coach if you have a good relationship close to the gym if not then dont

and if u make under i can see why u would have to cancel

This is where I feel a little conflicted. I don't have much of a relationship at all with my coach. I've had maybe one conversation with him in over five years. He has his inner circle, and that's pretty much it. I want the school to survive, but I don't know if I want to keep paying full tuition for an indefinite number of months to someone who only seems to care about a select number of people.

This is where I feel a little conflicted. I don't have much of a relationship at all with my coach. I've had maybe one conversation with him in over five years. He has his inner circle, and that's pretty much it. I want the school to survive, but I don't know if I want to keep paying full tuition for an indefinite number of months to someone who only seems to care about a select number of people.

He should rake it upon himself to start cutting prices for people willing to support the gym if this continues.

I paid the year in advance when I signed up.

They automatically paused the membership though.

I have not cancelled anything. I assumed 2 week ago that April could pretty much be a wash for training. Hopefully we will be back at it sometime in May. I'm pretty sure I spent more on takeout food for my full house of people this weekend than my April fees are so its not a big deal. I feel fortunate to be able to look at it that way (some might be in different circumstances). But for me, its all the more reason why cancelling my membership would be like a huge middle finger to my coach. He is bound to lose some casual students and likely parents cancelling their kid's membership, but if everyone were to cancel and the owner just goes into the hole for every expense (rent, lights, etc), who can expect them to stay open?

Not to be preachy but...... How we spend our money, especially in times like this, show what we care about surviving.
If I don't buy food from Applebee's or Outback To Go (just examples), the corporations will adjust and still survive. Most of the workers are already laid off or not working so it doesn't benefit them. But if I stop buying food from the mom and pop deli that opened a year ago in my neighborhood, and serves a unique purpose, they will legitimately cease to exist after a few months of significantly less revenue.
Maybe your town has a billion martial arts schools or BJJ academies and losing one or two is just a market adjustment. For some of us, losing our school would mean the only place to train BJJ without leaving town to do it.

Haven't cancelled anything, fortunately I'm in a position to where I can pay my dues without too much of a problem. Most of my teammates are doing the same but for the less fortunate it makes sense for them to pause their membership entirely. I can only hope some of them come back after this Corona pandemic is over...however long that may be

I'm thinking about putting mats down and inviting training partners to come down one at a time.

One conversation in 5 years? That's quite unfortunate and I don't blame you if you don't continue your membership.

What I'm doing for my students that continue their membership, I am filming and posting online instruction and lesson plans. In addition, each student will receive one private lesson per month this is going on, to be redeemed when this blows over. I am still changing full tuition. I feel this evens out because what I charge for a single private lesson costs more than an entire month's fees.

Yeah I suspended it but paid in advance so dont think it would have done that much during the virus. Im saving up for a trip that ive been planning for nearly a year and im barely working. Was happy to pay a proportion if the gym needed it

But isnt it for most bjj gyms that arent small say less than 70 students, arent the costs which atm would be rent be a small proportion of total income they generally receive. Which means that perhaps they dont need say at least half of gym members paying full fee? Most BJJ gym fees charge 150+/month for one person.

Obviously it depends on the gyms and such

Last edited:
My academy asked its members to keep paying dues during the pandemic so they don’t fold and they can resume when this subsides,& I appreciate that
They are also a fitness gym and have been posting videos online to members to do at home , workouts , boxing drills ,bjj solo drills etc

The thing that’s eating at me is that the gym has 3 owners and a number of paid employees, as a black belt it’s not a direct concern to me because they don’t charge me membership (I fill in for classes quite often) but a lot of people are out of work & I have a strong suspicion that the owners are still paying themselves full salaries while asking unemployed members to keep paying dues to keep the academy afloat .
I just don’t think that’s honourable & if I find out that’s true I’m not sure what I’m going to do
bring it up to them and tell them where u stand

tell them that the members perception of when the gym says they need the income, the income will be used only on the bare essential things needed for the gym to remain so that when its over there is a place to train again. The members would not have thought that paying for workers salaries was a requirement as the gym can be make do without it in order to survive if no classes are running. If thats what u think go for it. Maybe bring it up with current members as well to see if they would agree with you

Back