So who has cancelled/suspended their membership and who hasn't?

My instructor just announced he's willing to $50 off of monthly tuition for three months, and then after that I guess he will re-evaluate.

Like others have mentioned, it's now occurring to me that my gym, or any BJJ gym, may not open again for a very long time. I'm a three-stripe brown belt, and I may have to get used to the possibility that I will never get the chance to be a black.

My instructor just announced he's willing to $50 off of monthly tuition for three months, and then after that I guess he will re-evaluate.

Like others have mentioned, it's now occurring to me that my gym, or any BJJ gym, may not open again for a very long time. I'm a three-stripe brown belt, and I may have to get used to the possibility that I will never get the chance to be a black.
If you've gotten to three-stripe brown belt, I am confident that you will eventually find a way to the prestigious black belt. Have some faith :)

thats a good point but if you are not working at all and are relying on government handouts or some type of assistance and literally cant afford gym fees, its more than reasonable to not pay bjj gym fees if it means you can have enough food to feed yourself and the family and pay for home bills. Essentially have enough money for the bare essentials and have none or very little left over for normal spending
True. My comment was based on the assumption that the person could afford it. Thankfully, I'm not really financially affected by this shutdown (or yet anyway, knock on wood). So I was basically looking at it from the perspective of "would I be paying this if the gym was open and I could train?". If yes, then I'll keep paying.

My gym wouldn't help me if I couldn't pay. No pay no play basically. Nonetheless I'm still paying, I chose to be the bigger man in this situation.
damm
Yeah i remember not being able to afford BJJ when I was a kid. It was shit
Did you tell them why you couldn't afford it? If your reason was genuine

Owning a jiu jitsu gym is a tough business to be in... With the relatively high costs and low margins, I think it's important for anyone (who can afford) to maintain their membership active.

I've seen so many great teachers go above and beyond to keep their students happy, whether it's with virtual classes, video breakdowns, community management, etc. I think it's only fair to return the favor so we have a gym to come back to when this is all over!

Cheers,
How do most gyms have a low profit margine?
I mean a average sized gym would maybe have at least 50 students and gym fees can be quite expensive say around 170/month.
There's rents, utility bills and wages normally. Cause of the virus its just rent. I know theres maintenance costs but thats rare, like how often is the bathroom sink going to break or how often do u have to buy new gym matts etc.

damm
Yeah i remember not being able to afford BJJ when I was a kid. It was shit
Did you tell them why you couldn't afford it? If your reason was genuine
I have never been in such a situation, but I just mean $$ to my instructor. I don't see him as a friend and I don't even like the guy, but he teaches excellent bjj.

How do most gyms have a low profit margine?
I mean a average sized gym would maybe have at least 50 students and gym fees can be quite expensive say around 170/month.
There's rents, utility bills and wages normally. Cause of the virus its just rent. I know theres maintenance costs but thats rare, like how often is the bathroom sink going to break or how often do u have to buy new gym matts etc.

To start with, I think they are taking advantage of their loyal customers.

But also, if you have a business and you cannot survive s lock down period of four weeks without a hand out.

Maybe your business model sucks to start with.

I'm a black belt and teach sometimes at my gym (when I actually go, which I haven't recently) so I don't have to pay to train, but I've really been thinking about offering to pay something while this is going on or at least buy some gym merch. My job is secure for now, but there's still a lot of uncertainty around what will happen over the next several months. I don't feel totally safe or like I'm in a position to spend more than I need to right now, especially while I'm saving for a house. I'm still paying for my boxing membership and for the small powerlifting gym I go to and will continue to do so, as long as I'm still employed. If I was newer to BJJ and went regularly, I'd absolutely still be paying for that as well though.

Brutal, man. I really hope things get back on track and you can get there.

Pretty much all through brown belt, I had insane anxiety that I was going to end up tearing my ACL or something and never be able to get to black belt. Was such a relief to finally get there.

If you've gotten to three-stripe brown belt, I am confident that you will eventually find a way to the prestigious black belt. Have some faith :)

I have a buddy who will likely be a 3 stripe brown belt forever, because his injuries are so bad that he just can't train anymore. He hasn't been on the mat for a few years now and has no plans to return.

If you can afford to pay you should pay. I don’t believe in Professor worship but it’s not 24 hour fitness. If you didn’t get canned, bow to your sensei!

My coach is paid through the gym. I told him I'd send him dues direct if the gym stops billing. I've been training under him for 10 years white to brown.

If I ate at my favorite restaurant every Friday, you wouldn't be expected to keep paying if the restaurant shut down.

That being said, people often have a deeper connection to their gym than they do to restaurants (almost spiritual for some) so I get why some people would want to keep supporting their gym. I feel like gyms should be doing a lot if they want to keep receiving support though - posting tons of technique videos etc etc.

I don't know what my gym is up to, I was injured and froze my membership just before COVID hit.

If I ate at my favorite restaurant every Friday, you wouldn't be expected to keep paying if the restaurant shut down.

That being said, people often have a deeper connection to their gym than they do to restaurants (almost spiritual for some) so I get why some people would want to keep supporting their gym. I feel like gyms should be doing a lot if they want to keep receiving support though - posting tons of technique videos etc etc.

I don't know what my gym is up to, I was injured and froze my membership just before COVID hit.
Yea I’m starting to get frustrated with it. I was asked to keep paying so I did, but literally the only time I’ve heard from them was their response when I asked where to mail the money to. No videos, no support, or anything, and it’s looking more like the place isn’t gonna reopen if this goes on for any extended period of time. It’s pretty disappointing, im gonna pay through May and probably stop there if I don’t hear from them. But you put it in good perspective.

Back