Social Some experts worry mask wearing may be causing language development problems in kids

You’re so edgy!

<{1-1}>
al5xu48fr8t61.jpg

Dude I have a Japanese phone. I type in “Syria ci” and I get cigarettes as the default suggestion. Now either debate or stfu. No one cares about autocorrect errors, unless you’re losing an argument

Well do us a favor and proof read your posts before inflicting them on the thread. I am sure you can understand the irony of folk having to fill in the blanks in your postings within a thread about children having to fill in the blanks supposedly caused by mask wearing.

I mean that helps. But it still interferes with being able to fully see the face Which is a social cue for everyone.
I think like a lot of things. Say smoking can be damaging but a year of smoking will be undone easily. Ten years will take longer or may be permanent. Question is if this is damaging, how much so? And the degrees would be interesting to see. Is two months ok but 4 months moderately harmful? We have no idea what’s at play and tbh I think it’s best to play it safe and just not make kids and not require teachers of the young to mask
I'm not a medical expert enough to weigh in on the differences between long-term effects of smoking on lungs and long term effects of mask wearing on speech development, and whether both examples are comparable. The brain is a vastly different organ than lungs; it is much more complex and adaptable. Being able to see someone's mouth is undoubtedly linked to speech learning, the subtleties in social cues, and all the things you mentioned. But as with every COVID measure, public health officials have to weigh the risk/reward ratio before deciding on what to implement. This obviously opens up a discussion on the effectiveness of masks to mitigate covid spread because the detractors claim it has zero effect and therefore only the risks associated with speech development in children are the result of mask mandates. That goes against conventional recommendation, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
That said, toddlers were not always in the presence of adults wearing masks. When the re-enters their home, parents do not continue to wear masks. I'd like to see some hard data on the short and long term effects of masks on speech development on children before even assessing the risk/reward ratio of the mask mandate recommendation made by public health agencies. After all, social distancing and masks were some of the only effective measures in place before the vaccine was rolled out.

Well do us a favor and proof read your posts before inflicting them on the thread. I am sure you can understand the irony of folk having to fill in the blanks in your postings within a thread about children having to fill in the blanks supposedly caused by mask wearing.
Or just ignore a small autocorrect error. It’s not a big deal. I linked you articles as well as a study. Try reading them before dancing around with a gotcha.
Also it isn’t a grift. The speech therapist is trying to prevent or reduce the amount of future patients that she would get. You guys do everything backwards

I'm not a medical expert enough to weigh in on the differences between long-term effects of smoking on lungs and long term effects of mask wearing on speech development, and whether both examples are comparable. The brain is a vastly different organ than lungs; it is much more complex and adaptable. Being able to see someone's mouth is undoubtedly linked to speech learning, the subtleties in social cues, and all the things you mentioned. But as with every COVID measure, public health officials have to weigh the risk/reward ratio before deciding on what to implement. This obviously opens up a discussion on the effectiveness of masks to mitigate covid spread because the detractors claim it has zero effect and therefore only the risks associated with speech development in children are the result of mask mandates. That goes against conventional recommendation, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
That said, toddlers were not always in the presence of adults wearing masks. When the re-enters their home, parents do not continue to wear masks. I'd like to see some hard data on the short and long term effects of masks on speech development on children before even assessing the risk/reward ratio of the mask mandate recommendation made by public health agencies. After all, social distancing and masks were some of the only effective measures in place before the vaccine was rolled out.
I’m trying to make an analogy with the smoking thing. Where done temp it’s not that detrimental while prolonged use is
Would love to have seen more studies. I was against masks for kids from the start and this should have been studied if it was implemented. It seems very short sighted that no one decided to investigate a massive behavioral change put upon children. It’s basically an afterthought here.
You can argue masks or not but if you’re going to do something like this, there should have been major studies and testing going along with it. Even Japan went all mama nuts and never did anything in the way of studying or evaluating children'swell being and development.

That's the point dumbass.

Lol at wanting studies for anything now. Do we need a study to tell us the sky is blue this morning.

This is just your way to discount everything around us that we see happening. It's a way of excusing things that should not be happening.

You do understand that you are talking about all medical studies in modern existence? Let alone everything else

so you think that every medical research is done by someone who profits directly from the outcome of their research?

Expecting someone to be an expert and not make money from their expertise is weird
I’m not saying they can’t make money from their expertise

<JagsKiddingMe>

The majority of schools no longer have mask mandates. They are optional.

I’m trying to make an analogy with the smoking thing. Where done temp it’s not that detrimental while prolonged use is
Would love to have seen more studies. I was against masks for kids from the start and this should have been studied if it was implemented. It seems very short sighted that no one decided to investigate a massive behavioral change put upon children. It’s basically an afterthought here.
You can argue masks or not but if you’re going to do something like this, there should have been major studies and testing going along with it. Even Japan went all mama nuts and never did anything in the way of studying or evaluating children'swell being and development.
Public health officials were faced with a new virus they knew very little about and had to act in accordance to the available data they had. There wasn't much at the beginning and conventional wisdom at the time did have them withhold any mask wearing recommendation because they were afraid masks could cause more harm than good (people touching the masks to put on and remove, then cross-contaminate their hands and absorb the virus afterward). Then they realized that danger was not present, and that the virus is transported in droplets mostly from speech, coughing etc, but that transmission through fomites was very minimal. So the mask mandate was introduced. It wasn't perfect because they realized well after that surgical masks worked very well whereas single clothed masks were pretty useless. At this point they had difficulty getting people to wear any mask at all, they weren't going to enforce what kind of mask people were allowed to wear. No one knew how long the pandemic would last. The issue relating to delayed speech development became a popular subject much later in the pandemic, but I remember my boss' clinic was using the masks quite early on. I know the daycare my kids used to go to also had them for a while. I just think the issue is being blown out of proportion until we know more about the effects, and whether we really screwed the pooch. The point I'm trying to make is we were building the plane while already in the air. We didn't have the luxury of time to commission a bunch of studies on who should wear a mask and who shouldn't. We know kids can carry the virus and give it to daycare workers, or introduce the virus into the homes where immunocompromised people reside, and so tit was easier, and probably safer, to roll out a mandate as quickly and simply as possible.

Can you do this with masks?

P.s. seriously though, masks do limit the communication flow.

Our brains haven't evolved for millenia to decipher semi-mumbled sounds, especially withiout seeing the faces of our vis-a-vis.

Public health officials were faced with a new virus they knew very little about and had to act in accordance to the available data they had. There wasn't much at the beginning and conventional wisdom at the time did have them withhold any mask wearing recommendation because they were afraid masks could cause more harm than good (people touching the masks to put on and remove, then cross-contaminate their hands and absorb the virus afterward).

What data was this belief based on?

What data was this belief based on?
well I remember Quebec's public health director mentioning, when asked by a journalist, that masks only caused more harm than good. He used the examples of cross-contaminating from manipulating the mask as the reason why. He didn't mention which studies precisely, but rather evoked other studies about other viruses. It was being asked because some places were instituting mask mandates. When he reversed his decision and recommended mask mandates, the journalists had a field day with him. I believe we are talking of a difference of a few weeks in his flip which in the grand scheme of things isn't an enormous amount of time, but had it been instituted earlier, there could have been many lives saved

well I remember Quebec's public health director mentioning, when asked by a journalist, that masks only caused more harm than good. He used the examples of cross-contaminating from manipulating the mask as the reason why. He didn't mention which studies precisely, but rather evoked other studies about other viruses. It was being asked because some places were instituting mask mandates. When he reversed his decision and recommended mask mandates, the journalists had a field day with him. I believe we are talking of a difference of a few weeks in his flip which in the grand scheme of things isn't an enormous amount of time, but had it been instituted earlier, there could have been many lives saved

I've never heard of any studies that show masks cause more harm than good. What specifically are you talking about?

Back