STARFIELD discussion

I'll give that a watch sometime, sometimes the ship building feels realyl daunting tbh

SPOILER WARNING:

Also I progressed through the main quest earlier this week and had to make the hard choice...

F1D6Rpc.jpg

What a gut punch.

Sarah was my wife, then mistress and now she died... And my second wife was holding her in her arms.
I feel ya man, that really caught me off guard. I didn't think BGS had it in them for something like that. Let me know when you get near the end, you'll know what I mean.

Ship building is only complicated by how fucked up connections can be. One small change to a hab can give you a maze, no consistency in where they'll put ladders and doorways. O For example, on the Star Eagle, I replaced the 2x2 brig with a 2x2 living quarters. Despite it in being in the exact spot, it put the doors and ladders in different places. You can dictate things by creating roadblocks though.

Putting a structural piece, like a Deimos hull piece, a Nova bracer, or anything you can't walk through (a grav drive) can let you create your own pathways.

The best thing to do is build a landing pad at an outpost (all I've ever done with outposts) and experiment. You get access to most ship pieces from all manufacturers. Create a save (don't want to waste credits) before changing a ship, go nuts and take a walk around after you're done. You'll always have the save to revert to.

You can't save your build until you're done, but don't let that deter you. Once you make a ship you like, it's easy to recreate it if you have to load up the earlier save.

For anyone interested a new Native HDR mod has been released

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/4821

Worked on by a couple of modders including the one who worked on the well received Native HDR mod for Control, its compatible with both Steam and Game Pass versions
Thanks man!

I've just been using auto HDR since they implemented it in a patch. At first I wasn't big on it, or the first HDR mod, as a night sky still looked washed out (no deep blacks) but I've noticed in the past few days that I can get a nice dark sky. I was on some moon orbiting a ringed orange-ish planet, and the colour really popped compared to the black sky. Even the sky in New Atlantis at night looked black, especially contrasted to the Milky Way all bright and clear. I wonder if they improved it.

Anyway, I'll def give this a try next time Iv log in!

Ok looking for people who have played both the new final fantasy and starfield? I'll play both eventually, just want opinions on what is better. Ive always liked final fantasy, but some jrpgs can be boring. Never a huge fallout fan, but love Skyrim and elder scrolls. Help me decide

Alec Baldwin??

vvDBzaK.png
Sarah had no issue with me murking these guys after resolving the situation peacefully lol

Did you see the mod for starbases? It's loose files left over for unfinished plans we'll surely get for DLC.

After a stupid amount of hours, I've taken a break, but I'm pretty much daily still following the reddit thread, building ships/thinking about different ship builds.

I can't wait to see what they add into the game. I think this will have a great shelf life with DLC and mods, it has such an amazing foundation.

Sarah had no issue with me murking these guys after resolving the situation peacefully lol

Did you see the mod for starbases? It's loose files left over for unfinished plans we'll surely get for DLC.

After a stupid amount of hours, I've taken a break, but I'm pretty much daily still following the reddit thread, building ships/thinking about different ship builds.

I can't wait to see what they add into the game. I think this will have a great shelf life with DLC and mods, it has such an amazing foundation.

That's some cool shit, it's awesome that modders have done what they've done without official mod tools yet.

I wish they can let you design INSIDE the ship. Like add tables, chairs, move em around, etc... kinda like in Fallout 4

I wish they can let you design INSIDE the ship. Like add tables, chairs, move em around, etc... kinda like in Fallout 4
Yeah, you can't add furniture, but you can add any object you can pick up in the world and place them exactly where you want them. The problem is that if you make one slight change to your ship, everything you placed goes into ship storage, infuriating lol.

I don't know if they'll add furniture options to ship interiors, but I'm sure BGS will add all kinds of different habs. Mods will take care of ship interior customizations though.

I want to build multi layer ships with stairs and elevators, and be able to decorate a ship like that Fortuna (Marco Graziani's ship) one in the Free Star quest line

Time stamped, but spoilers ahead if you haven't done this one

The review everyones been waiting for. The best review I've seen of this game. And it's only part 1 lmao.

The review everyones been waiting for. The best review I've seen of this game. And it's only part 1 lmao.

- Interesting premise
- Outdated
- Boring main characters and dialogue.
- Underdeveloped worlds
- Procedurally generated worlds is a shit idea.
- Too many loading screens
- It's not nice to talk to the back of a companions head.
- Dodgy combat and upgrade system (especially stealth)
- Modders will probably make their own shit and make the game a lot better.

My opinion? If you can't go the whole hog because of a dated engine, flesh out these planets and put as much interest into them as possible. Do what Outer Worlds did and make every world unique and the characters interesting and funny. Starfields characters are dull as dishwater and as accurate as it may be, scores of uninhabited planets with nothing on them just isn't interesting, unless the game is gorgeous and there are spectacular features on them.

Space combat is basic, just go in guns blazing and hope that you don't have someone behind you shooting your arse off. It isn't better or worse than other space sims, to be fair. Funnily enough, my favourite space combat game was an IOS game called Galaxy on Fire 2.

Ship building and base building? Didn't go far into it. No point building bases as an explorer and ship building seemed kind of limited interior wise.

Aside from what was mentioned above, Bethesda should have looked at four games for inspiration.

- Ghostwire: Tokyo for its city. The game looks beautiful, very atmospheric and is a blast to explore. It's stories and substories can also be very engaging. Downside is the lack of features in the blue spirits that are NPCs.

- Cyberpunk 2077 for the city and the animation. City looks great and is fun to go around in, though it needs a few more things to do. What really sets it out though, is how the side characters are animated. They feel really alive, really human. Even at release, when graphical issues were disasterous, I still felt like I was playing the future of videogames, just because of that. Grand ambition, just not enough time and power to pull it off.

- Mass Effect for character development and dialogue. Simply put, the games all have memorable characters that are worth knowing and talking to.

- Elite Dangerous for one reason. When jumping between areas in space, it's cutscene played around the outside of the ship from the cockpit instead of going to a cutscene. It made exploring space feel far more organic.

Oh and I forgot.

All developers, follow Yakuzas lead and actually put shit in their cities and worlds for the players to do. Mini-games and the like. Make sure that the player has enough incentive to comb over 100% of the map just incase they missed something cool.

Maybe I should bust out Deus Ex: Mankind Divided again? When playing Cyberpunk for the first time, I felt that despite the smaller scope, Deus Ex did a lot of things better.

Which brings me back to my point about Starfield. I gave it plenty of time, I wanted to really like it, I loved Morrowind and Oblivion when they were released. It just felt like Starfield was a step behind even them, let alone the above mentioned.

If people like it? Good for them. It just didn't hit the mark with me.

Starfield just ate a bunch of my saves. Then it started crashing when loading the remaining saves.

I just hit the 60-hour mark. Real cool.

@GtehMVP Starfield beta is out for Steam, I tried it out (apparently any progress with the beta won't carry over when the base game gets this update so I won't be using it) but I tried it out in Akila city. Significant performance improvements.

I'm running a Radeon 7900XTX and a Ryzen 7700 so I never had any issues playing maxed out at 1440p but Akila City was always the least impressive portion in terms of performance

Starfield just ate a bunch of my saves. Then it started crashing when loading the remaining saves.

I just hit the 60-hour mark. Real cool.

that freaking sucks. I never had any save issues, did you get it resolved?

@GtehMVP Starfield beta is out for Steam, I tried it out (apparently any progress with the beta won't carry over when the base game gets this update so I won't be using it) but I tried it out in Akila city. Significant performance improvements.

I'm running a Radeon 7900XTX and a Ryzen 7700 so I never had any issues playing maxed out at 1440p but Akila City was always the least impressive portion in terms of performance

Did they add anything else in this update? I know many did, but I never had any performance problems either using a 3080. It's a good card, but I did run it at 4k most of the time with high settings. I think one of the first things I talked about on here was how good the performance was for me. I expected far worse, as Fallout 4 always ran like ass for me, and I had a beastly system at the time.

that freaking sucks. I never had any save issues, did you get it resolved?

Did they add anything else in this update? I know many did, but I never had any performance problems either using a 3080. It's a good card, but I did run it at 4k most of the time with high settings. I think one of the first things I talked about on here was how good the performance was for me. I expected far worse, as Fallout 4 always ran like ass for me, and I had a beastly system at the time.
Yes this is actually the DLSS update

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfi...ield-beta-update-1-8-83-notes-november-8-2023

Update Highlights

Nvidia DLSS Support

This update introduces Nvidia DLSS support for our PC players. Compatible Nvidia graphic cards can now use DLSS Super Resolution, Deep Learning Anti-aliasing (DLAA), Nvidia Reflex Low Latency, and DLSS Frame generation. Please note: While DLSS Frame Generation is active, VSync needs to be toggled OFF to see the benefit. We are working to automatically adjust this setting in a future update.
Let Them Eat!

By popular request, we have added the ability to ingest food and drink items upon finding them in the environment. You can enjoy those Chunks immediately or save them for later. The choice is yours.
Fixes and Improvements

Performance And Stability
  • Addressed a number of memory related issues and leaks.
  • [PC Only] Add some GPU performance optimizations, which will be more impactful on higher end cards.
  • [PC Only] Improved renderer threading model, improving CPU usage most notably on higher end systems.
  • Various stability and performance improvements.
Gameplay
  • Added the ability to eat the food placed in the world
  • Adjusted stealth to be a bit more forgiving.
  • Fixed an issue where Andreja’s head would stay permanently cloaked.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from firing their weapons.
  • Fixed issues where some NPC could be seen not wearing clothes.
  • Fixed an issue where already in-progress skill challenges could stop progressing after reaching the Unity and starting a new game.
  • Fixed an issue that could temporarily prevent opening the inventory or saving after entering the Unity.
  • PC: Fixed an issue where mouse movement could be choppy.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause the home ship to be lost.
  • Fixed an issue where the ship services technician might be missing.
Graphics
  • Addressed an issue with how ambient occlusion appeared in ultrawide resolutions.
  • Optimized initial shader compilation that occurs on start-up.
  • Added the ability to adjust Brightness and Contrast in the Display Settings menu.
  • Added the ability to adjust HDR Brightness provided that the system supports it. (Xbox & Windows 11 only).
  • Addressed a number of materials that could sometimes present an unintended pattern under certain conditions.
  • Fixed various visual issues related to the new FOV slider options.
  • Improved the appearance of the eyes on crowd characters.
  • Addressed a number of minor visual issues related to lighting, shadows, terrain, and vegetation.
Quests
  • All That Money Can Buy: Fixed a rare issue where players couldn’t sit during the negotiation with Musgrove.
  • Blast Zone: Fixed an issue where the hard rocks that need to be cleared out by players will not appear on Ngodup Tate’s land.
  • Echoes of the Past: Fixed an issue where the Grylloba Queen could sometimes not be reachable during the objective “Secure the Shuttle Bay”.
  • Eye of the Storm: Fixed an issue where players' quest progression could potentially be blocked due to a missing docking prompt.
  • Grunt Work: Addressed an issue where progress could appear blocked if “Supra et Ultra” was completed while returning to the Lodge during “High Price to Pay”.
  • No Sudden Moves: Fixed an issue the that could prevent the entrance door to the Scow ship from being opened again.
  • Operation Starseed: Fixed an issue where the key that is needed to exit the facility could sometimes not be present.
  • Sabotage: Fixed an issue where David Barron could potentially not be found by players.
  • Short Sighted: Fixed an issue where players could rarely become control-locked while speaking with Vladimir.
  • The Heart of Mars: Fixed an issue where players might not be able to mine the “The Heart of Mars”.

In terms of quests, there are two that are broken for me... That mission in the former prisoner colony/retreat where they ask you to look for a worker, I can't progress because I ended up encountering that Terrormorph before starting the quest. I don't want to use console commands because it will disable achievements.

The other one is that quest with the old Earth colony ship that travelled for 200 years. I helped them with the grav drive and there is that gay Jewish guy who asks you to help some of the crew members contact their relatives whom they never met yet. I can't progress past a certain point.

I wish they fix those two quests.

In terms of quests, there are two that are broken for me... That mission in the former prisoner colony/retreat where they ask you to look for a worker, I can't progress because I ended up encountering that Terrormorph before starting the quest. I don't want to use console commands because it will disable achievements.

The other one is that quest with the old Earth colony ship that travelled for 200 years. I helped them with the grav drive and there is that gay Jewish guy who asks you to help some of the crew members contact their relatives whom they never met yet. I can't progress past a certain point.

I wish they fix those two quests.
Thanks for the info, hope they get to your quests too.

Is that one of first ones for the UC/Sysdef questline?

I had another bug during mine for UC/Sysdef. I don't see it addressed here.

You're supposed to fight Terramorphs, but their location doesn't make any sense. You're supposed to fight them in a certain Starport (don't want to spoil anything) but the indicator makes it seem like they out of the city and way up in the sky.

I walked/ran for about 10 minutes outside the city and never got close to the mission indicators. I figured it was bugged, and could find no help online.

I loaded up an older save and still no luck. I wound up loading the older save and continued playing other missions.

I came back to that quest a few days later, same problem. Looking online again, this time there were answers.

It turned out the Terramorphs were indeed thousands of km outside of town and way up in the sky. I just needed to walk a bit further

If you encounter this bug (called Eye Witness for UC/Sysdef questline) keep walking/running. Eventually you get to them and they'll fall from the sky and die instantly.

Freaking Bugthesda lol

Thanks for the info, hope they get to your quests too.

Is that one of first ones for the UC/Sysdef questline?

I had another bug during mine for UC/Sysdef. You're supposed to fight Terramorphs, but their location doesn't make any sense. You're supposed to fight them in a certain Starport (don't want to spoil anything) but the indicator makes it seem like they out of the city and way up in the sky.

I walked/ran for about 10 minutes outside the city and never got close to the mission indicators. I figured it was bugged, and could find no help online.

I loaded up an older save and still no luck. I wound up loading the older save and continued playing other missions.

I came back to that quest a few days later, same problem. Looking online again, this time there were answers.

It turned out the Terramorphs were indeed thousands of km outside of town and way up in tje sky. I just needed to walk a bit further

If you encounter this bug (called Eye Wtness for UC/Sysdef questline) keep walking/running. Eventually you get to them and they'll fall from the sky and die instantly.

Freaking Bugthesda lol
I know the quest you're talking about, I did all the UC/SysDef quests but thankfully no issues with any of them... Except I missed something during the Crimson Fleet quest and I still have an active "look for evidence" quest that you're supposed to deliver to that Lieutenant but it's not really that it's broken I just didn't manage to get all the evidence before finishing the quest)

I know the quest you're talking about, I did all the UC/SysDef quests but thankfully no issues with any of them... Except I missed something during the Crimson Fleet quest and I still have an active "look for evidence" quest that you're supposed to deliver to that Lieutenant but it's not really that it's broken I just didn't manage to get all the evidence before finishing the quest)
Which quest is your issue with, the Teramorph/colony thing. I don't remember that. How did you get that quest, is part of a faction questline?

Back