STARFIELD discussion

- Boring main characters and dialogue.

Out of all the complaints on that list, that's the biggest one IMO. That's precisely where it fails, and if it was better, the other issues wouldn't matter so much. Shit, FO4 crashes on me regularly, and still has glitches up the ass to this day(same with Skyrim and FO3 to an extent), but it never makes me want to abandon it. This game just doesn't have the same charm, so when issues arise, there's not much there to save it. It just stacks.

I tried hard to enjoy it, I really did, but I think I just have to deal with the reality(my reality anyways) that it's just kind of boring overall. It's still impressive in the overall scale of the game, but I think that scale might've hurt it as well, and you end with a jack of all trades kind of game, that never really comes together.

Out of all the complaints on that list, that's the biggest one IMO. That's precisely where it fails, and if it was better, the other issues wouldn't matter so much. Shit, FO4 crashes on me regularly, and still has glitches up the ass to this day(same with Skyrim and FO3 to an extent), but it never makes me want to abandon it. This game just doesn't have the same charm, so when issues arise, there's not much there to save it. It just stacks.

I tried hard to enjoy it, I really did, but I think I just have to deal with the reality(my reality anyways) that it's just kind of boring overall. It's still impressive in the overall scale of the game, but I think that scale might've hurt it as well, and you end with a jack of all trades kind of game, that never really comes together.

Yeah, I was the same way. I think I have it twenty or so hours? I recruited Andreja, finished the Ryujin storyline and romanced Sarah.

My breaking point was when Sarah and I were on a bridge, we had a conversation that was well acted and very sweet, then it just...ended...

I went back into my ship, went to sleep and woke up to see her in my bed, and a load of dumbells spawned in the air and dropped on her head.

I can put up with a dumb glitch here and there, but it needs positives to balance it out. Cyberpunk on launch, on One S, was such a mess that I actually refunded it for being too broken, but I tried a lot harder with it than with Starfield, because it just had things that drove me forward. The story and the way that the characters moved, kept pushing me forward.

I'm downloading The Man Who Erased His Name right now. It won't be half the game that Starfield is, but I'm expecting my time with it to be a blast regardless, because it's characters and the story will be involving and there will be much to do in those small areas.

The combat is boring in Starfield as well. Be a sniper in Outer Worlds and compare it to being a sniper in Starfield, and there is a world of difference.

that freaking sucks. I never had any save issues, did you get it resolved?
I was able to recover an old save I had made before, and copied to another thread that I called "Starfield Backup." Lost a lot of time, but it's better than having to start over.

I've been noticing, the more time I put into it, the glitchier and twitchier it gets. I've been seeing crew clip through tables and ladders, crazy ragdoll physics like shooting a guy on a relatively low gravity moon and him getting blasted clean off the planet, a weird moment where when I docked with another ship but it totally missed it completely and somehow still registered as a clean dock. And don't get me started on one story mission where you're trying to get an item from an...unusual guy, to say without spoilers, and have to traverse his large ship. It was all wonky, items falling through floors and just a mess.

What the hell, Bethesda. When are you going to actually get it right?

All I need to know about the game. Low effort procedurally generated repetitive crap, few story missions, crappy fetch quests, fast travel instead of space exploration.

I was able to recover an old save I had made before, and copied to another thread that I called "Starfield Backup." Lost a lot of time, but it's better than having to start over.

I've been noticing, the more time I put into it, the glitchier and twitchier it gets. I've been seeing crew clip through tables and ladders, crazy ragdoll physics like shooting a guy on a relatively low gravity moon and him getting blasted clean off the planet, a weird moment where when I docked with another ship but it totally missed it completely and somehow still registered as a clean dock. And don't get me started on one story mission where you're trying to get an item from an...unusual guy, to say without spoilers, and have to traverse his large ship. It was all wonky, items falling through floors and just a mess.

What the hell, Bethesda. When are you going to actually get it right?
They are notorious for their games getting glitchier the longer the game progresses and the longer you play on a save file (the latter my experience).

My strategy has been to never rely on quick saves, but create a few new ones during each session. I find Larian is really bad for that too, which is why I tend to have so many files with games from both studios, though I do try and delete older ones.

All I need to know about the game. Low effort procedurally generated repetitive crap, few story missions, crappy fetch quests, fast travel instead of space exploration.

Isn't that the Ghost Kyiv, what a legend :D
FRxa-vHWQAYnjq0.jpg

They are notorious for their games getting glitchier the longer the game progresses and the longer you play on a save file (the latter my experience).

My strategy has been to never rely on quick saves, but create a few new ones during each session. I find Larian is really bad for that too, which is why I tend to have so many files with games from both studios, though I do try and delete older ones.

FRxa-vHWQAYnjq0.jpg
The Eagle of Gaza has been spotted as well.
IMG_7504.jpeg

FRxa-vHWQAYnjq0.jpg

I remember Morrowind on Xbox being horrible for that.

Starting out wasn't that bad, but many hours later I had to save every few minutes due to frequent crashes.

Excellent game for its time though.

After about 2 days playtime, I made it to the "Into the unknown" mission and encountered a game breaking bug. Sucks because I was actually enjoying the game.

After about 2 days playtime, I made it to the "Into the unknown" mission and encountered a game breaking bug. Sucks because I was actually enjoying the game.
What's your bug?

I remember on my first run doing that mission I had a bad bug too when you meet Andreja for the first time. I couldn't activate the artifact for some reason, and they wouldn't enter the final part of the cave with me, where the artifact is. They were circling the the entrance, like it was an invisible wall. I forget what I did to get through it though.

It’s legit maybe a 5/10 game. Don’t get how people who enjoyed their past games give them a pass for this garbage. Maybe if it took them a few years to make. But this shit took a long time.

It’s legit maybe a 5/10 game. Don’t get how people who enjoyed their past games give them a pass for this garbage. Maybe if it took them a few years to make. But this shit took a long time.
I was contemplating springing $500 for an Xbox to play this. I'm glad I didn't.

I loved Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3.

I want to like Starfield but I'm 10 hours in and it's feeling like a slog.

Well, it's not "garbage", it's just confused, and perhaps a bit too ambitious. You gotta walk before you run, and I think this game might be where huge single player RPG's are headed, just with a better UI and path finding. The game itself is loaded with content and gives you bang for your buck, but it's the little issues that fuck it up. The architecture in the game for instance, is mind blowing. You've got so many gigantic areas that that beg for exploration and discovery, but there's something missing to drive you forward. Whether it's the bland writing, or just simply confusing the player with such a grand scope, guided by outdated mechanics that simply need an upgrade for a game as huge as this one is.

Somebody posted an "Honest Conference" vid, and one thing nailed it for me. Something like:

"I have a house in New Atlantis, and I still can't find it after 100 hours of gameplay"

That's the kind of shit that sunk it for me. I love big games, but you can't just plant me in a gigantic world, and go "have at it". It's a bit too realistic, where if you put me in a town or whatever, that I've never been to before, and then task me to find a specific house somewhere in it, with no hints, no guides, no nothing. I'd just walk around aimlessly and then give up. It's not that bad, but that's what this game feels like a lot of the time.

Back