*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
Compared to the judges and seemingly many sherdoggers, yeah. But it's more logical; a 10-9 round is a close round, a 10-8 round is either a dominant round (like that round 2) or a round that was mostly close except for a near finish from the guy who was winning, 10-7 is a round with multiple near-finishes. Everyone else in MMA seems to score rounds as if there's a 2 point system rather than a 10 point system: why act as if the scoring system only offers 10-9 and 10-8?

Round 2 was clearly on a different level of dominance than the others, thus 10-8. Scoring it the same as the other rounds is objectively misleading.
You score every round in the main event 10-8 then?

Sterling dominated more round 2+3 than Yan did 4+5

If you're going to score the round by your own personal criteria I totally agree. If you score the round by the unified MMA rolls it's a 10-9
The reason why it should be a 10-8 because when someone gets backpacked by a high level jujitsu fighter the fight is usually over. It's literally how Oliveira recently defended his title and it's how Aljo put Sandhagen to sleep.

Casuals acting like backpacking is a stalling tactic, try hitting the mat sometime you fucking donuts.

" Dominance in the grappling phase can be seen by fighters taking DOMINANT POSITIONS in the fight and utilizing those positions to attempt fight ending submissions or attacks. If a fighter has little to no offensive output during a 5 minute round, it should be normal for the judge to consider awarding the losing fighter 8 points instead of 9. Judges must CONSIDER giving the score of 10 – 8 when a fighter IMPACTS their opponent significantly in a round even though they do not dominate the action."

2-0, deal with it.

Am I doing it right?

this thread seems pointless, since none of the judges actually gave Sterling a 10-8 round

Sterling won the first 2 minutes of round 1 then Yan took over and landed far harder blows.i personally think it was enough to win the round. All the other rounds were clear as day.

different strokes i guess. id have no problem giving a 10-8 for rounds 2-3 both

You watched it again to fulfill some desire to post about your own bias
You watched it again to fulfill some desire to post about your own bias
Nope, I watched it again because when I watch fights, I watch it to enjoy the fighting. The second time, I watch strictly for scoring or some other reason. Round 1 seemed to be the round everybody was disagreeing on. It's very clear Yan won that round unless you count points for kicks that were blocked by Yan.

See a lot of people scoring 10 8 for Aljo. Holding a position for a whole round doing nothing with it does not equal a 10 8 round. You don't see people getting 10 8 for staying in guard a whole round. In a 5 round fight and especially 3 round fights, 10 8 rounds is a pretty damn huge impact on a scorecard so they shouldn't be handed out just for holding a position.
Dumb comparison. Guard has somewhere to pass to, back control is where everyone wants to pass to. What would you have him do? Move to a less dominant position so can regain back control repeatedly just for you to give him credit?

Also, you're wrong. People DO get 10-8's for making their opponents have zero success during the round. And fishing for submissions is point-worthy, AND is a cause of tiring the opponent. NEWS FLASH: Try watching the sport some time

It's such an underwhelming win, whatever I think of the 1st round. People talking about round 1 going for Aljo whilst he backpedaled from the first 30 secs, Round 2 was a geat round for Aljo, but 3 was lay and pray. To win the belt on those 3 rounds and then be controlled equally in the 4th/5th whilst spending most of the fight facedown on the ground for Sterling and defending. It's more what's wrong with the 10 point must system within MMA. I think it was 1,4,5 for Yan.

Yan has won more rounds against Aljo over two fights and the better fighter didn't win last night. Well played by ALjo, he got Yan wanting to kill him and it cost him the fight. Yan takes the rematch by throwing ineffectual volume in round 1 when they fight next.
The fact yan is losing a strictly stand up round to sterling is pretty sad though.

See a lot of people scoring 10 8 for Aljo. Holding a position for a whole round doing nothing with it does not equal a 10 8 round. You don't see people getting 10 8 for staying in guard a whole round. In a 5 round fight and especially 3 round fights, 10 8 rounds is a pretty damn huge impact on a scorecard so they shouldn't be handed out just for holding a position.

Wasn’t it the commentators who suggested that it could be a 10-8? The fact that Yan defended the entire time and prevented Aljo from sinking in the choke deserves credit.

Sterling outstruck Yan in the first. Damage in the #1 criterion in the unified rules.

Dana and the rest of the dumb fucks in this fanbase need to read the rules.
These dumb fucks are getting annoying. Saw one dumb fuck admit in his post that Aljo landed more strikes than Yan in the round, but Yan applied constant pressure. YEAH, AND? So he walked forward while getting pieced up, so fuckin what. Octagon control is the most overrated bullshit in a fight.

Still cant believe Aljo pulled it off lmao. Everyone was so damn sure that he had nothing for Yan. Gotta respect Aljo overcoming all the shit hes taken since the first fight.

different strokes i guess. id have no problem giving a 10-8 for rounds 2-3 both
I DO think round 3 was a bit of stalling. I remember him fighting to pull his hand out from Yan's armpit grip for like a full minute, finally getting it free, then reaching back under without grabbing or attempting anything, just putting it right back. I was screaming.

10-8's fine for round 2 though, I suppose. I feel like he was snaking at the neck more and did more impactful strikes when softening him up there

Hahha forreals... Aljo didn't even need a 10-8 to win.
So out of 2 fights… Yan beat the shit of out of Sterling… and Sterling hugged him and did zero damage. Who’s the better MMA fighter?

Back