*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
of the Aljo/Yan fight. There is no way Aljo won that round. He ran away from Yan the whole round. Most of the kicks were blocked and Yan landed a few nice significant strikes. Aljo could've been warned for stalling and not engaging. Easy round to score for Yan. 48-47 Yan since Petr won rounds 4 and 5. Very bad judging but not a surprise. This one was easier to score than the first round of GSP vs Hendricks.

Yep, anyone who scored round 1 for Sterling has no idea what they're watching. As you said, Sterling backpeddled and did absolutely nothing.

Beyond belief that all 3 sherdog judges gave it to Sterling, wtf were they watching?

round by round it was a close fight.

watching the fight as a whole i thought petr yan looked like shit. this was the worst version i have seen of him. i dont like both fighters and i couldnt give a fuck who got the win, but sterling looked improved and yan looked like he got worse

Though I thought Yan won the fight beyond dispute - 1,4,5 clear as day - I would also agree he looked surprisingly bad and sloppy, and Sterling looked better than before.

It all comes down to round 1. What were the official stats for the round?

Yan's fans won't tell you the official stats and will also tell you that Octagon control / aggression should score more than sig. strikes landed. hahahahaha

Hint: Peter got outstruck in round 1.

A draw would have been more fitting, you could give Aljo 1 2 and 3, but Yan had 4 and 5, and being the better fighter in the championship rounds should clearly decide a winner.

It's Yan's belt all day under Pride rules.

Sterling won the first 3 rds so decisively that there's no way short of a TKO that Yan could win.

What did he do in the entire fight to warrant a win? To take the title home you need to decisively beat the champ...

It may be a nice thought that the champ should get the benefit of the doubt...but that is neither how it works nor how it should work.

You either win or you don't...you don't have to do "more" or "decisively beat the champ" as the challenger...you simply need to win according to the scoring criteria.

(FWIW, I have no problem with the decision in the Sterling-Yan fight, but would need to rewatch it to score it properly).

My problem was with how aljo won this fight and the last. acting after the illegal knee to get the DQ. and that whole kneeling / laying in front of your opponent so they can't strike at you. something needs to change about that. kneeling in front of your opponent or laying down and only showing the back of your head is a pretty cringe defense.

but i'll be fair. ajlo offered his back to yan tons of times and he didn't do anything with it.

<36>

Maybe your boy should spend more time learning how to get out of a body triangle instead of calling fighters names on twitter.

but I don’t even like either of them. I’ve just never seen that level of sissy in a professional fight before. Dude basically went on his stomach multiple times hoping to get kneed again. I’m embarrassed for him.

he lost, he got outstruck in 1 round. Blame his slow start. Then one of the other rounds could have been a 10-8.

Shows how easy manipulated the casuals are when emotions are involved.
By what measure in hell was there a 10-8? No knockdowns, no damage, no sub attempts, but you're ready to declare it a 10-8 for just holding position? What a clown.

I was rooting for Aljo because he used to be exciting, while I did have him winning the fight...this was the saddest fucking title victory ever. I really mean it..and ive seen every single UFC title fight in history.

Exploiting the no stand up from back position rule and just latching on for eternity in r2 and 3 to exploiting the no kicking/knee grounded opponents head, kissing the ground stalling r4 and 5 out so Yan couldn't do any effective strikes.

Absolute fucking shit show, but I guess he earned the troll title of "Fight IQ god" between this fight and the first one. He really studied the rulebook hard.

It's such an underwhelming win, whatever I think of the 1st round. People talking about round 1 going for Aljo whilst he backpedaled from the first 30 secs, Round 2 was a geat round for Aljo, but 3 was lay and pray. To win the belt on those 3 rounds and then be controlled equally in the 4th/5th whilst spending most of the fight facedown on the ground for Sterling and defending. It's more what's wrong with the 10 point must system within MMA. I think it was 1,4,5 for Yan.

Yan has won more rounds against Aljo over two fights and the better fighter didn't win last night. Well played by ALjo, he got Yan wanting to kill him and it cost him the fight. Yan takes the rematch by throwing ineffectual volume in round 1 when they fight next.

You watched it again to fulfill some desire to post about your own bias

It may be a nice thought that the champ should get the benefit of the doubt...but that is neither how it works nor how it should work.

You either win or you don't...you don't have to do "more" or "decisively beat the champ" as the challenger...you simply need to win according to the scoring criteria.

(FWIW, I have no problem with the decision in the Sterling-Yan fight, but would need to rewatch it to score it properly).

To be the champ you have to beat the champ... it's literally part of the sport always has been ( dana whites rules )

Who cares about manlets? almost every fight is controversial because they cant hurt each other like kids fights.

10-8 is what gaethje did to Tony. Batter a guy so bad he almost quits and not get hit back.

Sorry but you don't understand the rules then. Striking and grappling are equal under the eyes of the unified rules. The reason being is it's mixed martial arts and you have wrestlers that aren't great strikers.

Under your rule set, a wrestler would always get a 10-9 no matter what they did and only a striker is allowed to get a 10-8. If Tony would have survived that final round, that would have been a rare 10-7 under the new rules but as per McCarthy, a fight should be stopped if that's bad and that's what happened.

Sterling outstruck Yan in the first. Damage in the #1 criterion in the unified rules.

Dana and the rest of the dumb fucks in this fanbase need to read the rules.
Outstriking doesnt equal damage. Maybe you need to read a dictionary or something

Back