Opinion The idiocy of John oliver

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I am starting with last night’s show, but will delve back into other shows as well.

Last night, he railed against Israel and stand your ground laws. For a man that emigrated to the US, he certainly seems to hate this country.

He began the show discussing how over a thousand rockets were fired from Palestine into Israel, but stressed that it was not a fair fight because Israel has defenses to stop most of those rockets and responded with force in kind against Palestine who has no such defenses. This issue has become increasingly partisan with pro Palestinian protesters stopping freeway traffic in LA and other demonstrators including Pittsburgh, which is close to where I live. I am personally a bit mixed on this issue, other than to say that a country has a right to defend itself from attacks and retaliate, but the retaliation should be focused so that it does not indiscriminately kill innocent civilians such as the children. This issue is more complicated than this idiot claims with his issue being “it’s not a fair fight.” Well, then don’t start the fight, Palestine.

Then he pivots to stand your ground laws, which he claims causes more crime than states without them. But as usual, he does not differentiate between any of these increases in crime being the cause of stand your ground laws. He was able to bring up one case that was recent and two (George Zimmerman and joe Horne) that were not.
Both of these clowns acted as vigilantes and not someone protecting themselves or they directly put themselves into a conflict with the intent or plan to use deadly force when it went south. These laws shouldn’t protect people like that, but I strongly disagree with forcing people to flee when they are attacked for fear that defending themselves will get them arrested.

Then there are the classic anti police shows he has done from this past year snd years past. It wasn’t the greatest year for police, but his blanket statements that apply to all police are ridiculous strawmen. Here are some of his videos on that topic.

on gypsy cops and other issues

on mike brown Ferguson and police militarization

Anyone against stand your ground laws believe people should run away not matter what the weather or time is putting themselves at risk.

He might have some controversial views and honestly I only watch him when someone links a clip but at least he’s not outright lying to his audience like other media personalities. Maybe you can make a thread about how much you don’t like the ones who specifically target a portion of the population and lie to them to drum up fear and hate.

He might have some controversial views and honestly I only watch him when someone links a clip but at least he’s not outright lying to his audience like other media personalities. Maybe you can make a thread about how much you don’t like the ones who specifically target a portion of the population and lie to them to drum up fear and hate.

He uses strawmen more than almost any other media personality. Especially with his police segments. He will pick an issue, show only the worst example, and apply it to police as a whole.

He just did it with the stand your ground laws last night. He does it constantly using the worst optics to examine a situation

Anyone against stand your ground laws believe people should run away not matter what the weather or time is putting themselves at risk.

What are the odds that if someone beat the piss out of this prick that he wouldn’t call the police? It’s people like him that wouldn’t be able to defend himself that are at the mercy of people that are simply too law abiding to beat his skinny ass

He uses strawmen more than almost any other media personality. Especially with his police segments. He will pick an issue, show only the worst example, and apply it to police as a whole.

He just did it with the stand your ground laws last night. He does it constantly using the worst optics to examine a situation

He’s a shock-jock ala Howard Stern but at least he’s not deliberately lying to his audience comprised of older white people with the goal of stirring up hate and resentment.

What are the odds that if someone beat the piss out of this prick that he wouldn’t call the police? It’s people like him that wouldn’t be able to defend himself that are at the mercy of people that are simply too law abiding to beat his skinny ass

I need to watch this defund the Police episode. Most of the time when people talk defund they are more against the militarization of the Police. I personally think we need to get back to two officers on patrol in most major cities or suburb/rural areas with high crime rates.

I’d also like to see the use of drone technology used more often but that’s highly controversial.

He’s a shock-jock ala Howard Stern but at least he’s not deliberately lying to his audience comprised of older white people with the goal of stirring up hate and resentment.

Oh geez. He's just deliberately lying to an audience comprised of younger people . . . with the goal of stirring up hate and resentment. All in the name of "comedy".

Oh geez. He's just deliberately lying to an audience comprised of younger people . . . with the goal of stirring up hate and resentment. All in the name of "comedy".

He’s not lying at all. As the good officer pointed out he takes the most extreme examples and runs with them. That’s not lying.

I caught the SYG segment. I personally find the law a little wacky and wide open for abuse, but the way he was presented it was so incredibly dishonest.

Right off the bat, he starts out the segment framing this one case as if it was used as a defense for shooting a man for arguing about dogs.

Oh', and I gotta say, wow that is an awkward show without an audience. Put a laugh track in there or something.

I need to watch this defund the Police episode. Most of the time when people talk defund they are more against the militarization of the Police. I personally think we need to get back to two officers on patrol in most major cities or suburb/rural areas with high crime rates.

I’d also like to see the use of drone technology used more often but that’s highly controversial.

I think what I despise most about him is that he frames ridiculous ideas in a way that it makes sense, but it is totally insincere. His episode on no knock raids is based on the premise that breona Taylor was asleep and the police didn’t knock. If they didn’t knock, how the hell were those two in the hallway with a gun waiting for the police to enter? They fucking knocked.

And there is some semblance of sense in what he says about police-we shouldn’t allow gypsy cops from resigning and getting rehired at another department. We should scale back the military equipment unless there is a demonstrated need. We shouldn’t have officers getting blackballed and harassed if they report misconduct-but that is not the standard. No one want to work with a bad cop as a partner. I reported a fellow officer and I didn’t get blackballed.

John Oliver will never have to worry about self defense laws because, like other millionaire celebrities, he pays people to carry pistols for him.

he would have to because someone would have kicked his little ass by now. I know plenty of people would love to, hell, I would

John Oliver a great guy. Never meddem.

200.gif

I caught the SYG segment. I personally find the law a little wacky and wide open for abuse, but the way he was presented it was so incredibly dishonest.

Right off the bat, he starts out the segment framing this one case as if it was used as a defense for shooting a man for arguing about dogs.

Oh', and I gotta say, wow that is an awkward show without an audience. Put a laugh track in there or something.

all of his shows are dishonest. He will take a terrible incident or bad police shooting and pretend it is representative of the 900+k cops in the country. If he hates this country so much, he knows where the door is

Back