The Powerlifting Thread

Ok I tried it and it was dog shit. You can't carry the bar low in your hand if you have short thumbs.
The extent to which you’re going to be able to do that is obviously relative to the length of your thumbs............

What are we even doing here bro?

Last edited:
Pulled 635 on a power bar super easily yesterday. Heaviest since hernia surgery and ties my heaviest since my PR a few years ago. Looks like a new deadlift PR is possibility. Would be nice to finally crack 700.
how are your nerves since the surgery. Worried it'll happen again with a heightened awareness to every single feeling in that area?

how are your nerves since the surgery. Worried it'll happen again with a heightened awareness to every single feeling in that area?

Nah, not really. I let things heal properly and started back slowly. I do more core work now too.

The only thing I try to do now is be more conservative with weight selection for heavy singles and try not to grind excessively.

Nah, not really. I let things heal properly and started back slowly. I do more core work now too.

The only thing I try to do now is be more conservative with weight selection for heavy singles and try not to grind excessively.
That's cool. Good that it's a not constantly on mind and you're making new gains.
Gimme 650 by summer.

That's cool. Good that it's a not constantly on mind and you're making new gains.
Gimme 650 by summer.

I could have had 655 yesterday lol.

Who do you think you're talking to brah, a rookie?

Pulled 635 on a power bar super easily yesterday. Heaviest since hernia surgery and ties my heaviest since my PR a few years ago. Looks like a new deadlift PR is possibility. Would be nice to finally crack 700.

It looked smooth as shit.

It looked smooth as shit.
Thanks dawg. I’m a lot slower off the floor now, but sacrificing speed off the floor to maintain perfect positioning has really done wonders for my lockout. I used to be the exact opposite. My whole deadlift technique has kind of changed over the years.

Thanks dawg. I’m a lot slower off the floor now, but sacrificing speed off the floor to maintain perfect positioning has really done wonders for my lockout. I used to be the exact opposite. My whole deadlift technique has kind of changed over the years.
Part of the reason I hurt myself was ripping it too hard/fast off the floor. The other part was being absent minded and my technique was shit.

Part of the reason I hurt myself was ripping it too hard/fast off the floor. The other part was being absent minded and my technique was shit.

I mean, tbh, my technique was fine. It was just different.

The staff gym at work finally opened up the bench area. Happy I can add more flexibility in my training and hopefully allow me to start squatting/deadlifting a little more consistently again. If I can start squatting heavy again without adductor pain maybe, just maybe I can compete in 2022 since covid and injury derailed it last year.

Can you recommend any good thumb-lengthening exercises? I'd like to reduce the ROM on my deadlifts.

I have short arms and bang the bar into my junk when I deadlift. Any exercises to prevent that? So far I've been just not deadlifting and it works pretty well.

I have short arms and bang the bar into my junk when I deadlift. Any exercises to prevent that? So far I've been just not deadlifting and it works pretty well.
I've been into strength training for a long time, so I know a lot of solutions to a lot of problems. This one occurs quite often. The general consensus is to do what's known as the "Buffalo Bill tuck".

I've been into strength training for a long time, so I know a lot of solutions to a lot of problems. This one occurs quite often. The general consensus is to do what's known as the "Buffalo Bill tuck".
Caught a visual of someone doing DLs with legs crossed.

Brief Kern recap
1. Chad Penson
2. Dan Bell
3. John Haack
4. Blake Lehew

Chad Penson had a monster 881@198 squat. Dan Bell squatted 1113. Haack's squat and bench looked pretty good, but he missed 881 on his deadlift. Lehew broke Blazek's 181 total and had a very solid day. He also would have taken 3rd had he made last deadlift.

I think as great as Haack, Penson, and Bell are, there is no question Coan is still the undisputed goat. To put it in perspective Penson totalled 2195@198 which is the new 198 atwr. Blake Lehew also set the new 181 atwr by totaling 2005? In the mid 80's Coan went 2025@181 and 2205@198 in single ply. Back then single ply and equipment were much different. Probably still fair to say Coan still is the best powerlifter ever, if you disagree you're wrong.

Back