This is what happens when a small guy takes on a monster

There is a world of difference between a big guy, a big guy who is actually athletic, and a big guy who is actually athletic and has even a little bit of training experience. I'm a bjj purple belt, and have plenty of experience training with really big guys - when a guy is much bigger than you and athletic, the 'practical application' gap closes very quickly with a little bit of experience. We once had a guy that recently quit playing college football after getting another concussion - he knew he wasn't going anywhere in football and didn't need the scholarship, and decided it wasn't worth the brain trauma. I rolled with him his first day there and he was a pain in the ass, and within a or two month he was tapping me. That said, when you see a really big guy smashing a smaller guy like the Poirier video, keep in mind that many opportunities to create frames, slip out the back or reverse come when you have a little space - so if the guy postures up to throw a punch, thats when you can attack and get out from the position - its really difficult to get out from underneath a big guy who is content just holding you.

Overall, I like my chances in a fight against a bigger untrained guy, but I also acknowledge reality and know that all it takes is one thing going wrong to end up being turned into hamburger meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back