Media TJ Dillashaw says Song Yadong will "probably never be a champion". Also thinks Sandhagen is a tougher fight for O'Malley than Merab is

wolffanghameha

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
TJ: "I think Song's probably never be a champion, don't mean to talk shit."

TJ's criticisms, after watching Song vs Yan at UFC 299 (4:08 to 7:05):

-"He doesn't have that dog in him"
-Gets tired in a three-round fight. Would be "screwed" in a five-round fight
-"Almost too jacked", "too much muscle mass on his frame"
-Throws too many power punches, which combines with the muscle mass to make him tired
-Doesn't throw striking feints
-No sense of urgency in getting up when taken down, "lays on his back"
-Says Song would be better doing more long-distance running, like the Diaz bros

Is he right about Song?

Sandhagen (10:08 to 11:15):
-Thinks "Sandhagen hadn't fully grown into who he is now" when he lost to Yan
-Thinks Cory beats Petr Yan "9/10 times"
-Thinks Cory beats O'Malley, because he's too dynamic for O'Malley to successfully use his footwork and feints
-Thinks O'Malley won't fight Cory
-Merab has a good chance too, but you know his gameplan (desperate for a takedown, can throw knees up the middle). With Cory you don't know what he's gonna do.

Is he right about Sandhagen and O'Malley?

- Jaxxon podcast

I think there are a few good takes by Dillashaw there, Sandhagen has definitely leveled up a lot over the last few years. I wouldn't say he beats Yan 9 out of 10 times but it would definitely be a more competitive fight now than it was the first time.

He's probably right about Song too. I think he'll be in the top 5-10 for quite a while but I'm not sure if he's ever going to make it to a title shot.

He is likely spot on about the Sandhagen fight.

TBF TJ said the same thing about O'malley, said he'd never win a title look at him now.

I understand what he means when he says merab is more predicable. But can you stop him from doing what you KNOW he wants to do? That's the real question.

Alpha male is a good spot for Song to spar and learn wrestling but they are really basic in their approach to striking. Song can be a technical fighter and they turned him into some sort of brawler. You can't walk down all your opponents and make faces when your punches miss. Song's kicks are almost all gone. He doesn't jab or set up his strikes. I don't think he is overly muscular but it's his approach to striking that is making him tired.

Song is only 26 years old and doesn't appear shopworn despite having a lot of fights for his age. He's come up short against two legit world class opponents but looks competitive.

Its a high skill division, lot of moving parts. Its not a lock that anyone becomes champion, and Cheatashaw certainly didn't predict Sean would be king right now.

Winning a 135lbs belt in the next few years is going to be relative to who gets injured and when.

TJ has proven countless times that his brain don't good so work and he's a massive hater. I won't take anything he says seriously.

TJ is one of the most overrated voices in MMA. No idea why anyone would want to talk to the guy that hit pads on a fucking TSA luggage escalator. That is only the tip of his iceberg in his clownery.

Alpha male is a good spot for Song to spar and learn wrestling but they are really basic in their approach to striking. Song can be a technical fighter and they turned him into some sort of brawler. You can't walk down all your opponents and make faces when your punches miss. Song's kicks are almost all gone. He doesn't jab or set up his strikes. I don't think he is overly muscular but it's his approach to striking that is making him tired.
I remember when he first started making waves his striking was rudimentary but effective. He had a lot better patience and shot selection.

Now he seems to have fallen in love with his power and headhunts all fight

I think there are a few good takes by Dillashaw there, Sandhagen has definitely leveled up a lot over the last few years. I wouldn't say he beats Yan 9 out of 10 times but it would definitely be a more competitive fight now than it was the first time.

He's probably right about Song too. I think he'll be in the top 5-10 for quite a while but I'm not sure if he's ever going to make it to a title shot.

Imho this isn't a hot take. There are very few fighters where taking them over the field is a smart bet, taking the field is always the move.

Exceptions being, for example, Khamzat, Islam.

o malley is ufc golden ticket.
they want him to beat merab and then ilia to set up a match with islam

Back